Where am I?

Andrea

Ponce de Leon Ave, I think.
IC, you are too good! :thumbsup:

I don't know this for sure but I think the Standard Club used to located on this site. Of course they later relocated to the Lenox area, and ultimately to Duluth.

How about this famous downtown church? Hint: There's a street named after one of its pastors.

mystery%2011.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The street runs between north and south, from Auburn Avenue to Decatur Street, and is between Hilliard and Jackson Streets.

That hill running up the side of the church is throwing me, but could it be Big Bethel AME?

Just want to add that I have really been enjoying this thread (and all of your posts) Andrea! :D

That hill running up the side of the church is throwing me, but could it be Big Bethel AME?

Just want to add that I have really been enjoying this thread (and all of your posts) Andrea! :D

Hi John, thanks for the kind words! :lol:

You're actually just a couple of blocks away. This is "God's Mighty Fortress on Auburn Avenue," the Wheat Street Baptist Church, where Rev. William Holmes Borders was pastor for over 50 years. The legacy of Dr. Borders reaches far and wide. He was much admired by MLK, Jr., and his daughter became a prominent physician and religious leader, too. Dr. Borders was one of many prominent Morehouse alumni. Big Bethel is slightly to the west at Auburn and Butler, and Wheat Street is just under the freeway on the east side of the connector. The church was founded in 1869 but destroyed in the great fire of 1917, and then rebuilt in the 1920's.

I had the pleasure of eating at The Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge a couple of months ago. Good eats, indeed!

:lol: Love it, catlike! The last time I was at the Colonnade I got a vegetable plate -- yams, fresh cut tomatoes, green beans and fried okra. Makes me want to head back over there right now!

That amazing one mile stretch of Cheshire Bridge and South Piedmont have become the bridge between Buckhead to the north and Ansley/Morningside/VA-Highlands to the south. Cheshire Bridge in particular is just such a totally weird and delightful street. It's got everything from the Varsity to the Heretic, from Masters to Happy Herman's, and a zillion other things in between.

Just in time to get back from Dallas TX (where I enjoyed Ft Worth's famous Angelo's BBQ) to name my very favorite Georgia BBQ joint - Harrold's! As we always like describing Harrold's, it's just south of where we live, near the Federal Pen. The street I believe is McDonough.

Just in time to get back from Dallas TX (where I enjoyed Ft Worth's famous Angelo's BBQ) to name my very favorite Georgia BBQ joint - Harrold's! As we always like describing Harrold's, it's just south of where we live, near the Federal Pen. The street I believe is McDonough.
Yep, you are spot on, Brad! Harold's is a place where governors, truck drivers, policemen, defense lawyers, preachers, pro wrestlers and just about anybody else who loves barbecue can be found waiting in line for a table. They've been serving it up, along with crackling cornbread, Brunswick stew and iced tea, for decades and I hope they never change.

Harold's rocks.

:thumbsup:

On the ignored side of downtown - Peachtree Center Ave. This would be in front of - IMO, Atlanta's most underrated building - the AT&T building (if you like art-deco) at Auburn Ave.

...right near where I work.

You nailed it again, Brad! Peachtree Center Avenue was called Ivy Street when I started working downtown and I'm still prone to refer to it that way. Peachtree it is not yet to me it has always had sort of a nice functional feel to it. We used to hang out sometimes at the Ivy Street Pub, and later at the Pewter Mug, although they're both long gone, of course. Fitzgerald's on the Ivy Street side of Peachtree Center was always hugely popular with the after work crowd. Benihana, which was also on the street level at Peachtree Center, and the Steak & Ale across the street did a brisk business as well.

I really like that AT&T Building, too. My Mom was telling me just the other day that she worked there for a little while before I was born. That black box they stuck on the top is an abomination, however! Can't they find a better place for their microwave tower???

Agreed, the detailings are incredible, the building has the most ornate facade besides the Candler - or any pre-1930 building. Have you ever seen the original 1930's era plans? It would have been roughly 30 stories tall.
Brad, there's some cool information about what was in the building on Will Cardwell's amazing Atlanta Telephone History website.

Okay, here's a super hard one. A couple of clues: (a) the streetcar lines in the foreground are running northbound [from left to right], and (b) the side street in front of the B.F. Goodrich place in the background rhymes with "Herbie."

mystery%2015.jpg

Just a wild guess - 14th St & Hemphill in Home Park.
It sure does look like that, but that's not it! I just realized I totally screwed this one up, because the Jacob's Drugstore building is gone. :whistling: <sorry>

Additional clues:

-- It's 1918.

-- Think of the Longhorn Song: "We've got animal heads on the wall, staring back at you."

-- Here's what's there now:

deer1.jpg

Then it's in Buckhead, Roswell & Peachtree.
Ding!! I think that B. F. Goodrich place became Rio Bravo, which was a jumping joint back in the 90's. Irby Avenue is also home to a couple of 1940's era pubs, the Five Paces and the Buckhead Pool Hall. The last time I was in the Pool Hall hot dogs were still $1, and the linoleum around the tables had literally worn down to the concrete. You could also get your chainsaw fixed next door, buy a $25,000 vase across the street, or pick up a box of Henri's heavenly eclairs.

Okay, Brad, I know you will get this next one instantly but maybe somebody else will take a stab. Clues: the year is 1946, the view is looking south, and the Pure Oil station on the left is now an Einstein Bros. Bagels. I think Hawk's Drugs also had a location in the Medical Arts Building, although that has probably been vacant for some time now.

mystery%2016.jpg

Okay, Brad, I know you will get this next one instantly but maybe somebody else will take a stab. Clues: the year is 1946, the view is looking south, and the Pure Oil station on the left is now an Einstein Bros. Bagels. I think Hawk's Drugs also had a location in the Medical Arts Building, although that has probably been vacant for some time now.

That's gotta be West Peachtree and 14th Streets.

That's gotta be West Peachtree and 14th Streets.
Exactly, catlike!! How'd you know?

This is the view looking south on West Peachtree toward downtown. I wonder what that guy getting in his pickup truck would have thought if we'd said, "Mister, 40 years from now there'll be a 50-story office building sitting on this block."

:lol:

Archived