Entergy Arkansas

Mith242

I was just curious to hear some comments on all that's going on with Entergy. We don't have then up here in northwest Arkansas. But it sounds like The Arkansas division wants to split off from the rest. Part of this sounds like because it's going to cost people in Arkansas more because of the sharing system. Arkansas relies more on coal and nuclear power while Louisiana relies more on natural gas, which of course is becoming a lot more expensive. I believe there was something else back in the 80's that got people in Arkansas riled up too. Something about having to help pay for a nuclear plant in Mississippi I believe. Not sure how much of Arkansas Entergy covers but thought it might be interesting hearing more from someone in an area affected by all of this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just curious to hear some comments on all that's going on with Entergy. We don't have then up here in northwest Arkansas. But it sounds like The Arkansas division wants to split off from the rest. Part of this sounds like because it's going to cost people in Arkansas more because of the sharing system. Arkansas relies more on coal and nuclear power while Louisiana relies more on natural gas, which of course is becoming a lot more expensive. I believe there was something else back in the 80's that got people in Arkansas riled up too. Something about having to help pay for a nuclear plant in Mississippi I believe. Not sure how much of Arkansas Entergy covers but thought it might be interesting hearing more from someone in an area affected by all of this.

Grand Gulf

Yes, I think everyone would like to see Arkansas independent of Entergy.

Trivia: Entergy is Louisiana's only Fortune 500 company

Grand Gulf

Yes, I think everyone would like to see Arkansas independent of Entergy.

Another piece of trivia (which many already know): What is now Entergy was founded by an Arkansas businessman and became AP&L.

The company history of Entergy is found on its website. Here's an interesting excerpt:

At the dedication of the Sterlington plant, Governor Harvey Parnell of Arkansas said, "Harvey Couch has done more to develop these three states -- Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi -- than any other man." Couch's goal of an integrated electric system was becoming a reality.

Hopefully someone can answer these questions. What is the company's history in Little Rock? Was it headquarted here during the AP&L days, or for a time after that?

It currently serves Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

I didn't know that, interesting.

Another piece of trivia (which many already know): What is now Entergy was founded by an Arkansas businessman and became AP&L.

The company history of Entergy is found on its website. Here's an interesting excerpt:

Hopefully someone can answer these questions. What is the company's history in Little Rock? Was it headquarted here during the AP&L days, or for a time after that?

It currently serves Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

I knew it served parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, but didn't know it went over into Texas. How much of Arkansas does it serve? I do know they don't cover northwest Arkansas. I'm not sure but I was also thinking they don't cover Ft Smith either.

Still not sure how much of Arkansas Entergy covers. Maybe I'll have to try to find out myself.

I'm not sure just how much of the state entergy covers. I know that Entergy in Arkansas is almost completely self-sufficient. About 33% of our energy is produced from Nuclear One in Russellville. Most of the other comes from Hydro-electric dams from our many lakes...Entergy owns and operates a few of the dams and buys some power from the Arkansas Electric Cooperatives that operate the other dams.

Yeah I do know that Nuclear One does provide a lot of the state's electricity. That's nice of course but I always thought it ruined that view over there with Mt Nebo and Lake Dardanelle. Too bad they couldn't have put it somewhere a little less scenic.

Yeah I do know that Nuclear One does provide a lot of the state's electricity. That's nice of course but I always thought it ruined that view over there with Mt Nebo and Lake Dardanelle. Too bad they couldn't have put it somewhere a little less scenic.

Yeah, like Pine Bluff or Helena LOL

In Louisiana, Entergy is the primary electricity supplier to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, and I think Lafayette also. It mostly covers the southern portion of the state.

As it stands now, Entergy is New Orleans' and Louisiana's only Fortune 500 company. Though I believe there is a compny in Baton Rouge that is growing and is currently ranked around 520-550.

In Louisiana, Entergy is the primary electricity supplier to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, and I think Lafayette also. It mostly covers the southern portion of the state.

As it stands now, Entergy is New Orleans' and Louisiana's only Fortune 500 company. Though I believe there is a compny in Baton Rouge that is growing and is currently ranked around 520-550.

The Shaw Group

Archived