Who should be expelled from the South?

upstate29650

Who should be eliminated from the South?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Who's outta here?

• Florida
    • Alabama
    • Mississippi
    • Louisiana
    • Arkansas
    • Tennessee
    • Kentucky
    • West Virginia
    • Virginia
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Georgia
    • Texas

How is KY geograpically removed from the South in your view? I've always felt geograpically the Ohio River and Appalachian Mountians almost hemmed the state into the South, and from living and traveling acrossed it, KY has always has seemed to me due to its internal geographical features and cultures to be a very southern state on the whole.

I guess mainly because it's so close to Ohio. But I thought about the things you said and its culture, and that's why I changed my mind to WV. KY is definitely Southern enough for me! ;)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I am not crazy about this, I guess it is all in good fun.

I can understand Florida and West Virginia for various reasons, but I have a hard time understanding votes for North Carolina, WTF??

I think people voted for it for two reasons.......

reason #1: They don't think North Carolina is southern enough anymore, which is wrong.

reason #2: They have something against North Carolina for some strange reason(s).

Sure, North Carolina has a few mid-atlantic qualities, but it is still a very southern state!!

For those of you who voted, some of us would be VERY interested in your reasons for voting the way you did.

West Virginia is an easy choice here.

I don't understand people thinking that Florida isn't Southern. Sure, sizable *parts* of it don't seem Southern, but other parts feel every bit as "traditionally Southern" as Alabama.

My big brother was born in Florida, and my parents lived in Gainesville for a few years. It's Southern.

"Everyone loves to hate Mississippi."

I like MS. It is a rural state, and for that reason doesn't get a lot of love on urban-oriented forums, but I like rural areas, too. I got back home just two hours ago from an enjoyable 2-night stay in Tunica, MS.

I think West Virginia is the clear choice for the reason stated earlier that they voted themselves out of the South more than 140 years ago.

If we could vote portions of states out of the South, I could easily vote for South Florida or West Texas as not belonging in the South. South Florida ihas absolutely NO southern tradition and people who live there are mostly Northern transplants. Heck much of South Florida might as well be a suburb of NYC. West Texas is western, not southern. Many are ranchers that live is a dusty, nearly desert environment...nothing like the hot, humid South.

Id like to know why North Carolina were given 4 votes so far?

In all 100 counties in the state, i can assure you, you will find southern culture in very close proximity if your not standing in it already. Judging this by the states largest metro areas is a very very poor assessment of why the tar heel state should be expelled from the south.

I voted for WV.

I would hope that people weren't judging North Carolina's "southernness" by Charlotte, as it is VERY much Southern. I can guarantee you that in a few days, one will be hard pressed to find any grocery stores in the city with any collard greens left in the produce section. Now if THAT isn't Southern, I don't know what is...;)

Actually, its hard to find good collard or mustard greens in Charlotte. Most people living in the city don't know what they are. It's even amusing to check out when you do find some (usually at FoodLion) because the clueless teenybopper clerks, who have grown up with food out of a box or fast food, always have to ask "What is this?" :lol:

I voted for Florida. I hope I'm not starting a war here, but culturally and historically, it's just different from the rest of the South. North Florida is more connected, but down the little penninsula thingy and it's like you're in a new country. I wouldn't want to lose what FL has to offer to the south, but I'm just saying that it's the most different in my opinion.

BUT, if this was including all of the South (technically speaking), then I'd have to say Maryland. They are more northern than the rest of us :)

I think West Virginia is the clear choice for the reason stated earlier that they voted themselves out of the South more than 140 years ago.

If we could vote portions of states out of the South, I could easily vote for South Florida or West Texas as not belonging in the South. South Florida ihas absolutely NO southern tradition and people who live there are mostly Northern transplants. Heck much of South Florida might as well be a suburb of NYC. West Texas is western, not southern. Many are ranchers that live is a dusty, nearly desert environment...nothing like the hot, humid South.

in many ways South Florida might as well be a suburb of NYC....we were established by Yankees....even the New York Times labeled Miami as "the sixth borough" at one point...there are no southern traditions here.

There are people who don't even consider Miami as a American city.....lol!

Delware is below the Mason Dixon Line...A small percentage of the state is above it as a little peace of WV is above it but still classify that as a Southern state by many

That is incorrect.

The state is above the mason-dixon line. Delaware is a union state and i meant to have said that instead of northern state. Slavery on the other hand, thats another story.

Example, after example, after example, after example, after example,

after example, after example, after example(joke).

Theres even a sign on I-95 entering Maryland from Delaware that has a sign up saying "Mason-Dixon Line" but i cant find that anywhere on the internet but i know its there passing by it numerous times.

Archived