Who should be expelled from the South?

upstate29650

Who should be eliminated from the South?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Who's outta here?

• Florida
    • Alabama
    • Mississippi
    • Louisiana
    • Arkansas
    • Tennessee
    • Kentucky
    • West Virginia
    • Virginia
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Georgia
    • Texas

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually now most of the states have been expelled. I'm still waiting to see how all of this is going to end up. If we're going to divide the south up could we have something like a mid-south for areas like Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas, the southern states west of the Mississippi River?

Hmmm...some states seem to have been 'expelled' from the Southern US forum. :lol: Although I haven't quite gotten how Arkansas is consider a Gulf State. :D

The division is between Southern states associated with the Gulf of Mexico and those with the Atlantic Ocean. This map shows how, with a few exceptions, how the states have been divided. I like this grouping.

a1f1_s.jpg

Actually now most of the states have been expelled. I'm still waiting to see how all of this is going to end up. If we're going to divide the south up could we have something like a mid-south for areas like Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas, the southern states west of the Mississippi River?

The groups have already been made, but the Mid-South is not simply made up of Southern states west of the Mississippi River. I've normally seen the Mid-South as Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and often including Tennessee. Less often I've seen Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Texas, but I don't think there's a definitive answer out there.

The division is between Southern states associated with the Gulf of Mexico and those with the Atlantic Ocean. This map shows how, with a few exceptions, how the states have been divided. I like this grouping.

a1f1_s.jpg

The groups have already been made, but the Mid-South is not simply made up of Southern states west of the Mississippi River. I've normally seen the Mid-South as Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and often including Tennessee. Less often I've seen Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Texas, but I don't think there's a definitive answer out there.

Yeah I wouldn't mind the list you mentioned. But I get the impression they want to split up some of the biggest state forums. Seems like the extreme southeast seems to be where they are.

South Florida should be allowed to cut its self off from the south, since we share nothing in common with the rest of the south anyway. Just cut it off at the northern Palm Beach county border, hell we'll even take those counties on the West Coast too, just so we can continue to have our own little redneck area of the state. The South Florida Tri-County area of Broward, Miami-Dade, and Plam Beach account for 1/3 of the entire state of Florida's population, and the area gets no respect from the rest of the state (the north is mostly Republican)... people have been saying it for years, South Florida should be it's own state. :thumbsup:

^ You make it sound as if South Florida is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of Fla w/your "...area gets no respect from the rest of the state..." comment. IMO, S Florida gets a great deal of respect from all of Florida.

My comment about the region getting no respect from the rest of the state, was, to be more specific, about the way the Republican legislature treats the area. One great example is the slot machine issue. Broward approved a Constitutional amendment allowing slot machines in our paramutual facilities, with a date for implementation. The Legislature dragged its feet, and let the time deadline pass, and actually had to be ordered by a judge to write the slots law. The reason they were so slow? They did not like the decision of the voters of the county. Also our schools get less funding than the rest of the state (they cut the cost differential that gave our higher cost of living area more money), I could go on with more examples, but you get the point. The cultural divide between South Florida and Floribama is so great that there is friction between the two areas in the state government. That is the point I was making.

I remember reading that Missouri used to be a slave state, so did that mean they were ever a part of the south? Also in reference to the whole West Virginia issue I know a lady from work who's from there and she's so southern you'd swear she was from backwater Mississippi. She once told me about her mother cooking her fried possum and mashed taters.

I voted to expell Florida!

The Redneck capital of the US, with Jacksonville, the Redneck capital of the Universe...

I lived in Jax for 16 years. Penpals in Ft Lauderdale also speak of rednecks, ruffians etc.

Florida is a bizarre combination of religious fanatics, lawless types, vicious criminals, and right wingers, with a few Northern liberals thrown in the mix.

But in fairness Florida also has WORLD CLASS HEALTH CARE, and I do mean WORLD CLASS!! Terrific food at reasonable prices in great restaurants all over the state. Generally friendly people. Affordable housing, when compared to most states.

Florida is too bizarre to be in the South. It is NOT genteel. It is not laid back with traditional roots like the other Southern states.

A second choice might be S.C. since it is so damn conservative~~

But in fairness Florida also has WORLD CLASS HEALTH CARE, and I do mean WORLD CLASS!! Terrific food at reasonable prices in great restaurants all over the state. Generally friendly people. Affordable housing, when compared to most states.

Uh... no. Not healthcare.

• 3 weeks later...

I've come to the conclusion that all of this animosity toward Florida is the result of jealousy. Keep in mind that Florida is contributing to many successful statistics for the entire Southeast; mostly as a result of our booming economy...and not all from tourism, either. Hate all you want, but many of the reasons the South is doing so well is because of Florida.

I've come to the conclusion that all of this animosity toward Florida is the result of jealousy. Keep in mind that Florida is contributing to many successful statistics for the entire Southeast; mostly as a result of our booming economy...and not all from tourism, either. Hate all you want, but many of the reasons the South is doing so well is because of Florida.

Wow one of the Trealist :D post I ever saw because some are really jealous of FLA. Also Florida does play a huge role in the southeast.

while i think that florida should stay in the south, i don't think that florida is a reason that the south is doing so well. does it play a part? sure, but so does every other state in the south. florida doesn't affect the boom that nashville is getting. or charlotte. or memphis. or jacksonville......ok, well maybe jacksonville. :P

while i think that florida should stay in the south, i don't think that florida is a reason that the south is doing so well. does it play a part? sure, but so does every other state in the south. florida doesn't affect the boom that nashville is getting. or charlotte. or memphis. or jacksonville......ok, well maybe jacksonville. :P

Well, take Florida's economic contributions out of the entire Southeast statistical analysis and you'll see much lower numbers than what they are now. I'm not saying it's the most important State in the South, however it surely is very relevant.

Archived