Encore Condos

GoldRiver

Three words: The Encore Model.

I was at Pesca this morning and decided to stroll across the street to look into the windows at the sales office. The sales office is under construction (well along I might add). And, hey, the door was open so I went inside. The very nice (and very handsome) women at the front told me they wouldn't open until Wednesday, but when I looked ahead and saw the gigantic model of the building, I donned my super-sweet Dad persona and was able to view the model up close. Never fear, oh doubters, this thing is a looker. Lots and lots and lots of glass, and yes, the little areas between the glass will be stucco, but there really not much of it. This thing looked like a crystal palace. The model is very large and fully developed down to the tables, chairs and people at the outdoor cafe. There are even recessed ceiling lights inside the units and each unit appears to be as close as possible to the real floorplans. If you like glass, you'll like this. So, forget the concrete, forget the cheapo-talk and get down there Wednesday or later and then make up your minds. No rendering to this point prepared me for what I saw. It's stunning.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

The first rendering I ever saw of Encore (was posted here), made it look like precisely a crystal palace and I LOVED it (it was an areal pic).. then all the other pics were less nice, and I was always soooo upset that they had "scrapped" the ice/crystal palace look and I was VERY upset... so Dave, your news is SOOOOOO VERY WELCOME!!!!! It will be GORGEOUSE!!!!

We can only hope it looks as good on the ground as it does in that room. I'm anxious to get back down there after they open and visit the unit model and check out the building model more closely. I'd like to get a picture of it with people around so you'll see how big is is. Hope it doesn't let you down, Paula.

Three words: The Encore Model.

I was at Pesca this morning and decided to stroll across the street to look into the windows at the sales office. The sales office is under construction (well along I might add). And, hey, the door was open so I went inside. The very nice (and very handsome) women at the front told me they wouldn't open until Wednesday, but when I looked ahead and saw the gigantic model of the building, I donned my super-sweet Dad persona and was able to view the model up close. Never fear, oh doubters, this thing is a looker. Lots and lots and lots of glass, and yes, the little areas between the glass will be stucco, but there really not much of it. This thing looked like a crystal palace. The model is very large and fully developed down to the tables, chairs and people at the outdoor cafe. There are even recessed ceiling lights inside the units and each unit appears to be as close as possible to the real floorplans. If you like glass, you'll like this. So, forget the concrete, forget the cheapo-talk and get down there Wednesday or later and then make up your minds. No rendering to this point prepared me for what I saw. It's stunning.

Wow! I will definitely have to take a look at it myself. I love glass too, so this is great news.

I think you can expect something really close to the Viridian in regards to materials as this whole project seems similar in just about everyway. It looks like concrete to me with sort of shallow industrial rivets serving as the only real decorative element on the facade aside from the metallic trim of the awnings on the first floor. I think it looks okay, and somehow the color, somewhat greyish, although maybe that's just the environmental lighting, makes the building feel less chintzy than the Viridian (and i'm just going by the webcam, I have not been downtown to see the finished building. Pictures, anyone?).

I would rather the Encore have exposed concrete than cheap-ass artificial stucco. The Viridian is an embarrassment. Every bit of glass I touched while wandering about the joint wobbled in place, and the cheap fake-stucco that clings to the building's ankles and thighs is already starting to show signs of excema.

I have enough respect for Giarratana to feel inclined to believe that the poor materials and shoddy craftmanship evident in regards to the Viridian are Novare's bad. I just hope that, in regards to the Encore, the fake stucco is replaced with either real stucco or something...anything...else.

Twenty-story episodes in Walgreens Provinicality--no matter the amount of shaky glazing--does not amount to beauty, strength, or even utility. God help us, for real.

Now I know this board has passed me by... I didn't understand :(

I think he's comparing the Encore to a 20 story Walgreens, if the Encore is built like the VD. And the Viridian does look as if a stiff breeze could fold it in half, or a pebble thrown by a six year old girl could bust through the facade with ease.

I would rather the Encore have exposed concrete than cheap-ass artificial stucco. The Viridian is an embarrassment. Every bit of glass I touched while wandering about the joint wobbled in place, and the cheap fake-stucco that clings to the building's ankles and thighs is already starting to show signs of excema.

I have enough respect for Giarratana to feel inclined to believe that the poor materials and shoddy craftmanship evident in regards to the Viridian are Novare's bad. I just hope that, in regards to the Encore, the fake stucco is replaced with either real stucco or something...anything...else.

Twenty-story episodes in Walgreens Provinicality--no matter the amount of shaky glazing--does not amount to beauty, strength, or even utility. God help us, for real.

The exterior of the Encore reads as such in the Architectural drawings.

"Cast-in-place concrete with reveals and 1" diameter decorative form tie holes"

Exposed concrete is definately better, and at least more honest, than fake stucco. Plus it will be Nashville's first exposed concrete building, aside from parking garages. First condo anyway; Mercury View might qualify. I'm very curious about the west side of the building at ground level. What will be there? And what happens if an equally-tall building is constructed on the site between Encore and the HoF? I'd be pissed if I bought a 15th floor unit and lost views to the west.

^I think that's a common issue in big cities all over the place, people buying condos with unobstructed views and then getting up in arms when another building comes along and changes the scenery. I remember an article posted on Planetizen about this in a developing area of Chicago. I think rational people should be cognizant of the nature of the urban environment, but at the same time, it may be disingenuous for developers to sell up this amenity.

The original proposal for the Encore was for two towers anyway, and i'm not sure if Tony G. is still considering this or if the plan for that half of the block has changed.

^I think that's a common issue in big cities all over the place, people buying condos with unobstructed views and then getting up in arms when another building comes along and changes the scenery. I remember an article posted on Planetizen about this in a developing area of Chicago. I think rational people should be cognizant of the nature of the urban environment, but at the same time, it may be disingenuous for developers to sell up this amenity.

The original proposal for the Encore was for two towers anyway, and i'm not sure if Tony G. is still considering this or if the plan for that half of the block has changed.

Apparently the owner of the parcel at 4th and Demonbreun has his own plans for his land; who knows what they are..

Exposed concrete is definately better, and at least more honest, than fake stucco. Plus it will be Nashville's first exposed concrete building, aside from parking garages.

Actually, the original Commerce Union Bank (now the Bank of America) building at Fifth and Union has an exposed concrete facade. The exterior forms created rounded grooves in the concrete. After the forms were removed, the smooth ridges were jackhammered to give it it's rough texture. A lot of labor was involved, but it gives the building a unique look.

Spring010.jpg

It's the tall building on the right, although the picture doesn't present much detail. You really need to see it up close.

I know it might be considered modernist by some, but the building does have some merit in the way it creates an angular plaza between it and the Double Tree Hotel. The plaza does allow outdoor seating with proximity to the bank, a restaurant and another storefront type service I can't recall at this time. It's a nice little surprising violation of the downtown grid the creates a pleasant and accessible escape from the street.

The Encore! website has been seriously updated.

Gracious, how grateful I am that the Viridian's fake-stucco cheap-ass crapness won't be repeated here. I only hope that as Nashville continues to awake from its cultural slumber, we can take the next logical step from the Encore's exposed concrete--embellished architecture with ornament and a skin worthy of affection and respect. Glazed tiles, polychromatic brick, stone veneer, sculpted marble, give us something!

May our future stand on the Schermerhorn's shoulders and not in the Encore's--let alone the Viridian's--shadow.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived