Mini-Earthquake in Louisiana

tombarnes

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd. The New Madrid Fault is in northeast Arkansas and southeast Missouri. It's the big one in this region. But I don't think I've heard of too many other active faults in this region. I'm pretty sure northeast Arkansas has lots of little faults like that. But most are so small no one usually feels them.

Wow, that really interesting.

Its weird bcuz you always think of things like this in cali.

i rember like in 91, it was supposed to be some big earthquake like in memphis or something, or somewhere in the in appalachia and we were supposd to feel it in louisiana

I hate to think what will happen to this whole region if there's another earthquake like there was back in the early 1800's. In case you hadn't heard much about that one it was massive enough to cause the Mississippi River to flow backwards and created a new lake. I think it's in western Tennessee or Kentucky. One of the more positive aspects of it was that there weren't too many people living in this region back then. But they think that's been the strongest earthquake known to happen in the US.

I hate to think what will happen to this whole region if there's another earthquake like there was back in the early 1800's. In case you hadn't heard much about that one it was massive enough to cause the Mississippi River to flow backwards and created a new lake. I think it's in western Tennessee or Kentucky. One of the more positive aspects of it was that there weren't too many people living in this region back then. But they think that's been the strongest earthquake known to happen in the US.

I dont even want to think about it. :shok:

But wasn't that earthquake supposed to be some sort of phenomenon or 500 year quake?

I dont even want to think about it. :shok:

But wasn't that earthquake supposed to be some sort of phenomenon or 500 year quake?

Probably but then again who knows. I hate to think what will happen though. I don't think Memphis is built to the earthquake standards some of the California cities are. That and the thick soil around that area that's so good for farming will also make things worse. That type of soil only amplifies the waves. It's going to be pretty bad when another big one hits eventually.

• 1 month later...

There's a book called Great Disasters and it mentions the New Madrid quake of February 7, 1812. It was one of the largest quakes to ever hit America. This wasn't the only quake there were two other large quakes that occured on December 16, 1811 and January 23, 1812. All of these monsters were greater than 8.0, with the largest registering at a rock splitting 8.4! Because the area was so sparsely populated at the time very few people were killed. Between December 16, 1811 and March 15, 1812 there was a total of 1,874 quakes. It's been said that if a similar series of quakes were to hit today, tens of thousands if not more would lay dead, hundreds of thousands would be wounded and millions would be homeless. I don't think we'll have to worry about quakes like these anytime soon because scientists say that quakes of those magnitudes occur every 500-1,800 years but, a 7.0 would occur every 100 years so we're about a century overdue. Also, El Dorado, Arkansas has earthquakes ever so often. There was one a few months ago that was a 4.0.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived