Ruth's Chris Coming to Charleston!

Charleston native

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey tablrock, welcome to UP! I'm glad that Chucktown is your fave city. If you know of any information of what is going on in my hometown or if you have any questions about what's going on in the city, this forum is your place right here.

You just suggested 2 other outstanding restaurants that I have heard of but completely forgot about. It would be excellent if Chas eventually got Morton's and/or The Palm in the near future. I'm sure with Ruth's Chris locating there, other high-end franchises will be interested in competing in the market. They'll have plenty of accomplished chefs from other great places and new chefs graduating from TTC's Culinary Institute.

Not even a week ago I was talking to family about how there seems to be a lack of national steak eateries in Charleston. This is welcome news.

http://www.ruthschris.com/

@tablrock - now that's what I'm talking about, two amazing steakhouses I would like to see in Charleston. :)

http://www.thepalm.com/

http://www.mortons.com/

Some steakhouses local to Charleston are:

Oak Steakhouse - http://www.oaksteakhouserestaurant.com/ on 17 Broad Street in the French Quarter

Charleston Chops

Mo Sussman's Steakhouse

Village Chop House - http://www.bigguynet.com/chophouse.html on Shem Creek

Not even a week ago I was talking to family about how there seems to be a lack of national steak eateries in Charleston. This is welcome news.

http://www.ruthschris.com/

@tablrock - now that's what I'm talking about, two amazing steakhouses I would like to see in Charleston. :)

http://www.thepalm.com/

http://www.mortons.com/

Some steakhouses local to Charleston are:

Oak Steakhouse - http://www.oaksteakhouserestaurant.com/ on 17 Broad Street in the French Quarter

Charleston Chops

Mo Sussman's Steakhouse

Village Chop House - http://www.bigguynet.com/chophouse.html on Shem Creek

Hey Mike, I think I'm going to take your quote for these steakhouses and put it in the favorite restaurants forum! :lol: I've been saying the same thing about the lack of national steakhouses for some time. Chas has a plethora of seafood restaurants, but it has been lacking with the steakhouses.

Also Mike, thanks for the Morton's and The Palm links.

thanks guys! i read an article in some national magazine a couple of years ago and it stated that charleston has per capita the highest number of high quality culturally diverse eateries on the east coast (yes, even surpassing nyc). i'm all about good local restaurants however the upscale national joints really gets heads turning.

thanks guys! i read an article in some national magazine a couple of years ago and it stated that charleston has per capita the highest number of high quality culturally diverse eateries on the east coast (yes, even surpassing nyc). i'm all about good local restaurants however the upscale national joints really gets heads turning.

Wow, I had heard about something like that, but I can't remember what national magazine said it. Do you remember? We've had some debates in the Upstate section about whether or not Chas had a large number diverse and high quality eateries...glad to see I'm not the only who sees that the city does surpass many expectations in that arena! ;)

I love local places too, but it is very encouraging to hear of upscale national chains coming to the city. Getting upscale places like this puts Chas more into the national and international spotlight. It is one of the standards where you can measure if the city is becoming a significant destination. It's like a city can be measured in accordance with standards that have been set for other American cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, and Boston.

I've been wondering if this will open the door for not just steak eateries, but also other upscale places like the Cheesecake Factory or P.F. Changs.

charleston native, you and i are on the same page. i s/have started posting long ago. this is fun. chas is giving all the major cities in this country a run for their money (restaurant wise anyway) so the city imo is already on the national scale. i think chas has the potential to be in the INTERNATIONAL spotlight. the city is already one of the culinary capitals of this country. maybe charleston can look to london as it's hinterland. i know it's a stretch, but i can dream right? i live north of greenville now and pf changs is under construction and cheesecake factory is rumored to be going into riverplace. personally i don't understand it. i know g'ville is growing like crazy (but so is chas) and i'm not dissing the upstate but chalreston s/have already had these places.

It's all about market saturation, Charleston has a ton of unique and local restaurants here already which makes opening a national chain a bit risky.

Greenville is ripe for those restaurants from what I've seen (growth and demographics.) They should be able to support them with no problem.

Mike, you hit it. The restaurant market in Chas is tremendously taken with local restaurants and eateries, which is one of the reasons why urban-life lovers tend to have great affections for the city. Even strong, reputable chains such as Macaroni Grill and Johnny Carino's have not opened in the metro area because the city is a bastion for authentic and incredible Italian cuisine.

I know what you mean, tablrock, it's kind of perplexing to see an area like Greenville, which is very similar in size to Chas, getting all of the "big-city" chains while Chas does not. It's even more puzzling when you consider the amount of tourists that go there; usually national chains like the fact that people from all over the country could come to a destination and find a place to eat that they are familiar with. However, some of Charleston's local places would be considered "big-city" in quality and service, so they negate the lack of the franchises. I'm getting the feeling that with Ruth Chris coming, more places will be in the works in the next couple of years. Eventually other upscale chains will have to tap into the Chas market.

Heh, I really hope they put the Ruth's Chris at Albemarle Point where the Crab House used to be. :D

That is great for Charleston, maybe Greenville then will be next on the list for Ruth's Chris. Actually I am kind of surprised that Greenville is getting a PF Changs before Charleston, I would think their would be on in Mt. Pleasant already.

Another place I could see locating in Charleston is Chophouse '47, it is a upscale steakhouse by the same company that does California Dreaming, of course that would be more like haveing another local steakhouse rather than a national chain. But it would be a nice addition. Greenville's went right next to california Dreaming so if Charleston got one maybe it would be next to theirs.

Their was going to be a City Range (upscale steakhouse from greenville) in Mt. Pleasant, but the site they purchased appriciated so much over the last year that they sold it already and made a huge profit.

Chophouse '47 would be a great steakhouse to add to the city...maybe that could be built in place of the closed Crab House. It would be across the creek from CA Dreaming.

Where is it going to open?

They haven't specified a location, yet. Once the plans are laid out by the restaurant, I'll be sure to post them. My guess is that they will push for a DT location in the historic district. There are several available buildings on King Street and Meeting Street. I would pick upper King since the area is next door to the Visitors Center.

I don't think DT Charleston is particularly well suited for chain restaurants and that is a good thing. Parking will always be an issue and I think adding too many chain eateries downtown will detract from and hurt local businesses. Would you really want a Cheescake Factory located close to Kaminskys or an IHOP near Bookstore Cafe? Chains should be clustered in West Ashely near California Dreaming or near the bridges in Mount Pleasant where there is ample parking and suburban infrastructure that would support them.

I don't think DT Charleston is particularly well suited for chain restaurants and that is a good thing. Parking will always be an issue and I think adding too many chain eateries downtown will detract from and hurt local businesses. Would you really want a Cheescake Factory located close to Kaminskys or an IHOP near Bookstore Cafe? Chains should be clustered in West Ashely near California Dreaming or near the bridges in Mount Pleasant where there is ample parking and suburban infrastructure that would support them.

Well, my hope is that the steakhouse will have a pure city of Charleston location and not a suburban location putting the restaurant's address in Mt. P or the north area. The West Ashley location near CA Dreaming would be my top choice, but I think Ruth's Chris might want more foot traffic.

I have proposed in the Albemarle Point thread that a bridged walkway could be built from the Holiday Inn Riverview to the Springhill Suites (old Crab House) area and connected with the condo developments in and around CA Dreaming. This would greatly increase foot traffic. Opening the Ruth's Chris in the old Crab House would be a good idea, especially with the beautiful view.

Maybe the steakhouse location DT could be around the medical complex across the Ashley River from CA Dreaming?

I don't think there is enough foot traffic around MUSC to warrant a restaurant there. The area is too far from the historic part of downtown for people to walk between the two. The advantage a restaurant in that area would have is the lunchtime crowd. I bet employees get tired of eating in the limited places within walking distance (MUSC cafeteria, Subway, Chick-Fil-A, and Wickliffe House).

But how many residents in the area are there? They would benefit from it too. MUSC would benefit by having somewhere else to go. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. Heck, if Spring or Cannon were cleaned up some then people might actually walk on them, and going to MUSC might not be so far fetched.

I don't think there is enough foot traffic around MUSC to warrant a restaurant there. The area is too far from the historic part of downtown for people to walk between the two. The advantage a restaurant in that area would have is the lunchtime crowd. I bet employees get tired of eating in the limited places within walking distance (MUSC cafeteria, Subway, Chick-Fil-A, and Wickliffe House).

Do they still have the Mustard Seed cafe in the Student Wellness Center? That was a great place for breakfast and lunch.

Spartan, you and I are thinking very similarly here. There are many DT residents that would benefit from the steakhouse being located, for instance, in between the Courtyard hotel and the marina. Not only residents, but tourists that occupy the hotels in the area could easily walk or drive to the restaurant. The location would have access to the James Island Expressway, US 17, and Lockwood Drive. Also, boat owners and travelers using the marina could walk to the location. Remember, many boat slips are being used for a new real estate concept called "dock-ominiums". People who renting the space for their boat would probably love the idea...considering they can afford the slip, they could probably spend some serious money at the steakhouse, too! ;)

Archived