Ruth's Chris Coming to Charleston!

Charleston native

The Mustard Seed is still in the MUSC Wellness Center. They usually take interviewees there to eat (at least they do for the College of Medicine), but I don't think many students eat there otherwise. It is probably fairly popular with employees, however.

My concern about putting a Ruth's Chris near MUSC and the marina is that you're requiring people to drive. MUSC is very much a "daytime populated" place. It is bustling during the day, but quiet at night except for students going to/from the library and hospital staff changing shifts. If I'm Ruth's Chris, an established and higher-end restaurant, I'm not going to want to be a trendsetter by "experimenting" with a restaurant in an otherwise quiet area. I'm going to want to go somewhere that already has a ready supply of people, both in car and especially on foot, that will get curious and try my restaurant - even if they didn't specifically come to the area for that reason.

And it doesn't have to be the historic district. Mount Pleasant would work as well, don't you think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mustard Seed is still in the MUSC Wellness Center. They usually take interviewees there to eat (at least they do for the College of Medicine), but I don't think many students eat there otherwise. It is probably fairly popular with employees, however.

My concern about putting a Ruth's Chris near MUSC and the marina is that you're requiring people to drive. MUSC is very much a "daytime populated" place. It is bustling during the day, but quiet at night except for students going to/from the library and hospital staff changing shifts. If I'm Ruth's Chris, an established and higher-end restaurant, I'm not going to want to be a trendsetter by "experimenting" with a restaurant in an otherwise quiet area. I'm going to want to go somewhere that already has a ready supply of people, both in car and especially on foot, that will get curious and try my restaurant - even if they didn't specifically come to the area for that reason.

And it doesn't have to be the historic district. Mount Pleasant would work as well, don't you think?

I'm glad the Mustard Seed is still there. More students ought to go there since the food is rather good for you and the prices are fairly reasonable.

As far as Ruth's Chris locating in Mt. P,

Well, my hope is that the steakhouse will have a pure city of Charleston location and not a suburban location putting the restaurant's address in Mt. P or the north area...

I still stand by that opinion. Besides, one thing about the steakhouse is that most of their locations are in the major DT sections of their respective cities...Ruth's Chris owners usually want to be part of the "destination" aspect of the city. They would want to be either very close to or amidst the attractions of the core of the city. The location on Lockwood Blvd could accomplish that, but remain a certain distance away from the other local steakhouses on the peninsula. I also have a bit of resentment to Mt. P in that it is not a central location to the metro area, yet it has the only locations in Chas for some franchises like Chili's and On the Border. It does not need to have all the nice places! -_-

You're right to an extent, some people would have to drive there. However, you would have significant foot traffic from not just the marina, but the Courtyard at Marriott next door; Bristol Condos and other hotels just down the street. There are plenty of sidewalks for foot traffic leading up to the marina. There are also DT neighborhoods further south on Lockwood for people who would probably go there. The restaurant would not have to rely solely or mainly on MUSC.

I'd prefer Albemarle Point around CA Dreaming, because the area is poised to get major boosts in residential and commercial development. Hey, if CA Dreaming can locate there (that location was indeed experimental for a more "local" franchise), then Ruth's Chris might feel comfortable there. Click on this link for the thread in this forum:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19245

• 11 months later...

Hey you guys, sorry I haven't been here that much. Anyway, I came across this article below in the P & C about Ruth's Chris. Evidently, franchise representatives are still trying to decide on a definite location for the Chas restaurant. Several sites have been evaluated downtown and Mt. P (of course, :rolleyes:), and more sites will be considered. The restaurant wants to have 8,000 square feet of retail space available.

My hope is that they will go DT. Mt. P would not be a central location.

Chain seeks spot to put down steaks

^ Cool! I guess all of SC's major cities are getting this steakhouse. I just hope that Ruth's Chris can decide on a location in Chas. Notice that in the article, the RC rep did not even mention any locations West Ashley. Yet, there is a beautiful location right across the river at the old Crab House building. Toddbarwick, I'm sure you would want something like that there as well as I. RC needs to seriously check the site out.

Archived