Eureka Springs

Mith242

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh yeah...and I'm betting that Delaware and Adair Counties in OK will be added at some point as well.

Maybe even Barry Co, MO.

Yeah I'm not sure how far NWA's influence extends out into Oklahoma. But I do think that Siloam Springs draws in people from Oklahoma because there aren't too many cities close to the border on the Oklahoma side near Siloam Springs.

Yeap, and I'm sure a lot of those people drive into NWA to work. I know a lady in Little Rock that is from Miami, OK...she hasn't lived there in 20 years, and even back then, she lived in Miami and worked in Bentonville...so you know with the area as job rich as it is now, it's bound to bring in even more people from there.

Yeap, and I'm sure a lot of those people drive into NWA to work. I know a lady in Little Rock that is from Miami, OK...she hasn't lived there in 20 years, and even back then, she lived in Miami and worked in Bentonville...so you know with the area as job rich as it is now, it's bound to bring in even more people from there.

I've been wondering where's the cutoff between the main effect of the Tulsa influence and the NWA influence. I would also think that the NWA area of influence is growing out that direction. I remember when I used to have to go to Tulsa to go shopping because there wasn't a lot of options in NWA years ago.

I would say that Delaware and Adair counties are prob nwa influence, Cherokee county is a toss up, prob more influenced by tulsa...but with the growing number of people in that area working and moving to NWA, that could change.

I could be wrong but I had gotten the impression that Tulsa's economy had stalled out in recent years. That and along with NWA's strong economy and growth has probably helped bring parts of NE Oklahoma into it's area of influence.

You would be correct. I believe NWA is pulling away some of Tulsa's residents....Tulsa is shrinking, but he suburbs are holding steady and some are growing pretty well.

I'm not sure if it's just all the usual people leaving the city for the suburbs though. I'd gotten the impression that the economy there had really cooled off.

They have a lot of Call Centers there...I'm wondering when NWA will begin to see big Call Centers. Little Rock has gotten several recently...but not as many as Tulsa has. I would think NWA would be a good place for them.

I wonder what brings things like that in. Didn't they used to have a lot in Nebraska because they said the neutral accents there made it easy for lots of people to easily understand?

A good job market brings them in, but Dish network just turned Conway down for a call center because they said the job market was too good and incomes were too high. That may prevent some from coming in to NWA. Cingular pulled all of their call centers out of big cities and spread them out in medium-sized midwestern cities.

A good job market brings them in, but Dish network just turned Conway down for a call center because they said the job market was too good and incomes were too high. That may prevent some from coming in to NWA. Cingular pulled all of their call centers out of big cities and spread them out in medium-sized midwestern cities.

That and it's sometimes hard to bring in new businesses because unemployment is ridiculously low up here.

They have a lot of Call Centers there...I'm wondering when NWA will begin to see big Call Centers. Little Rock has gotten several recently...but not as many as Tulsa has. I would think NWA would be a good place for them.

With the low unemployment rate here, I doubt we will see a big Call Center boom up here.

With the low unemployment rate here, I doubt we will see a big Call Center boom up here.

I spent 2003 in St. Petersburg/Tampa Florida and that's the Call Center capital of the U.S. mainly because the unemployment rate is so high and the Call Center jobs all start at $10.00 per hour no matter what your experience. So when a company looks at a potential area to build a Call Center it's not just unemployment rate they look at but also the median personal income.

Benton County Income snapshot

In 2002, the per capita personal income in Benton County was $26,789. This was an increase of 22.9% from 1997. The 2002 figure was 87% of the national per capita income, which was $30,906.

Washington County Income snapshot

In 2002, the per capita personal income in Washington County was $23,810. This was an increase of 24.0% from 1997. The 2002 figure was 77% of the national per capita income, which was $30,906.

Tampa Florida/Hillsborough County Income snapshot

In 2002, the per capita personal income in Hillsborough County was $29,602. This was an increase of 22.9% from 1997. The 2002 figure was 96% of the national per capita income, which was $30,906.

St. Petersburg Florida/Pinellas County Income snapshot

In 2002, the per capita personal income in Pinellas County was $33,167. This was an increase of 21.5% from 1997. The 2002 figure was 107% of the national per capita income, which was $30,906.

The census indicates NWA has a much lower median personal income than Tampa/St. Pete which means this area is ripe for a Call Center. So it does fall to the low unemployment rate. So unless we hit another economic recession pretty soon and then recover quickly from it we're not going to see many businesses move to NWA that are not here because of Wal-Mart. Only problem is if we have another recession noone will be hiring and many people will flee NWA seeking jobs in bigger cities which puts NWA in a bigger bind when they recover from the recession.

I may be putting too much thought into though! :wacko:

It's actually the opposite. Conway was just turned down for a call center because the median income was too high...it would force them to have to pay a higher wage. They instead went to a TX city with a low median income.

The figures I posted were a comparison between the median personal incomes not the median household incomes, but you're right... the median household incomes are very comparable, almost identical, between NWA and Tampa/St.Pete.

Rogers-Bentonville/Benton County

Median household income $40,281

Fayetteville-Springdale/Washington County

Median household income $34,691

Tampa Florida/Hillsborough County

Median household income $40,663

St. Petersburg Florida/Pinellas County

Median household income $37,111

Which goes to show that more people per household work in NWA than Tampa/St. Pete which you would think the companies considering putting Call Centers here would be more interested in what the individual people are making here than the household as a whole. But they're the professionals... I'm just a guy trying to make sense out of it all. :wacko:

The people taking the low-end jobs are Hispanic immigrants and those people can't speak English well enough to do that kind of work. Call-center jobs, which Central Arkansas has been getting its fair share of lately, aren't real high-end jobs anyway. I can't see why you would seek them out too aggressively.

The people taking the low-end jobs are Hispanic immigrants and those people can't speak English well enough to do that kind of work. Call-center jobs, which Central Arkansas has been getting its fair share of lately, aren't real high-end jobs anyway. I can't see why you would seek them out too aggressively.

It would be a great asset to a diverse economy, which is something NWA needs. But I can't see too many of these coming to the area, unless the unemployment rate goes up.

My experience with the Call Centers in Tampa/St. Pete was they ALL started you at $10.00 per hour no matter what your skills or experience and they were very strict about everything to the point that I was always paranoid I would be fired for thinking the wrong thing. It was mainly because they knew they could just hire anyone off the street to replace you since the unemployment rate is so high there. Generally the jobs here pay the same as in Tampa/St. Pete but the cost of living is much higher down there.

It would be a great asset to a diverse economy, which is something NWA needs. But I can't see too many of these coming to the area, unless the unemployment rate goes up.

Diversification in one way, sure. However, I see no reason for an area thriving with high-end jobs to take more low-end ones. For the same reasons I wouldn't want another chicken plant up there. Diversification has its limits, it's not as if someone making $80k as a rep for a Wal-Mart vendor is going to take a job at a call center rather than move elsewhere.

Diversification in one way, sure. However, I see no reason for an area thriving with high-end jobs to take more low-end ones. For the same reasons I wouldn't want another chicken plant up there. Diversification has its limits, it's not as if someone making $80k as a rep for a Wal-Mart vendor is going to take a job at a call center rather than move elsewhere.

I know a radio host in Little Rock that was fired that made about 75,000/yr that took a job at a call center making 9.65/hr just to stay in the Little Rock area. I know that a lot of people wouldn't do that, but there are those who would just to stay where they have they have planted themselves.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I was on here and it is good to see there are still some interest in our Little hamlet out there.

There has been lots of press about Eureka Springs this summer. Some good some bad and a lot of times that has to do with your view point. Is there anyone out there that has thought about coming here because of all the press?

Steve

Archived