All of Northwest Arkansas in High Resolution Google Images

So I was reading the eureka springs topic.....and i tried to get a feel for the area on Google Earth. I noticed the WHOLE NW Arkansas Metro was now in high resolution. It's pretty cool.

http://maps.google.com for the browser version....

Ok, so maybe this isn't topic worthy...but I'm a google earth fanatic, so I thought it was pretty cool

Edit: Hmmm..........the updated imagery is only available on google earth right now.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was reading the eureka springs topic.....and i tried to get a feel for the area on Google Earth. I noticed the WHOLE NW Arkansas Metro was now in high resolution. It's pretty cool.

http://maps.google.com for the browser version....

Ok, so maybe this isn't topic worthy...but I'm a google earth fanatic, so I thought it was pretty cool

I beat you to it. I mentioned this in the NWA on Google Earth topic. Yeah I'm not positive when they did it. I know a month or two ago it was only most of Fayetteville. I'm still trying to figure out how they decide what to do. I mean why pick a section of eastern Madison County? Some of the sections that has the high resolution just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. It would be great to see more of central Aransas or for that matter all of the state under the high resolution. I'm also a big fan of Google Earth. It was pretty useful to me when I decided to stop and take pics in Litte Rock around Thanksgiving.

Damn! Delete Mcheiss! DELETE! Spare me the embarassment please. :D

:lol: Don't worry Johnny, I'm laughing with you. I'm sure we've all done something like this. I still haven't forgotten that wa-crap-taw incident. Sadly I never noticed till someone had pointed it out to me. :D

What's weird is that the images are exactly in the outline of Arkansas.

I wonder if corporate presence plays any part in this. Like Wal-Mart and other companies building their satellite offices in NWA. Speculation of course.

I do agree with you because it is odd that it follows state and county lines. You'd think they could just go ahead and go over a little into other areas while they're at it. I wonder what will be the next area they update in Arkansas. I would think central Arkansas would be coming at some point. Maybe not all of it but more than what they have now.

There's an article in the National Geographic talking about Google Earth. They've worked together on it by the way in case you didn't know. I admit I haven't checked out that much of the world. I've focused a little more closer to home but I do know there are some National Geographic functions in some areas of the world. I believe they mentioned Mt Kilaminjaro (sp?) in the article.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the Northwest Arkansas Times mentioning the NWA and Google Earth. Apparently the Northwest Regional Planning Commision made the effort to acquire the high resolution aerial photos. It was eventually put on the internet then Google earth asked permission to use the info on it's program. So Johnny now you know what has to be done to get some of central Arkansas on there. :D

Here's a link to the article.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/nwat/News/36299/

Archived