Southeast Louisiana Development Thread

NCB

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what wikipedia.org has on future downtown development in Baton Rouge.

As new businesses migrate to the Baton Rouge area, office towers may soon be built in the the downtown area, including a proposed river condo tower, to become a new highrise building in the city.

This is exactly what I forsee for the future. More large businesses+not enough current class A office space=more highrise office towers being built. I know that Baton Rouge currently has a moratorium on buildings taller than the state capitol, but I think that if major businesses come into the city, and express interest in putting major offices there in high rise towers taller than the capitol, Baton Rouge will rethink the moratorium. Similar to what Philadelphia did with its moratorium on buildings taller than city hall.

I realize from the text of this article that this project had been let out for bidding before Katrina, but the renovation of stste offices in the State Capitol doesn't appear to be the best allocation of state money at this juncture. From 2theAdvocate.com.....

http://2theadvocate.com/stories/123105/new...deling001.shtml

The RiverPlace condo's and the rest of the ongoing projects in downtown BR are all pre-Katrina.

While getting more high-rise towers in BR is exciting; Not at the expense of poor New Orleans losing their companies.Thats really sad. Since the storm, thinking regionally(SE LA.)makes more sense.

Nice pics. NCR ! Thanks for recognizing Baton Rouge ! Growing pains ! From an overgrown country-town,

to a legit mid-size city ! The renovation of the 11-story(296-room) Hilton Capitol Park Hotel to be completed by early Fall 06', is the biggest step toward the rebirth of downtown ! Most cities have theie tallest hotel is in or near the CBD. But not Baton Rouge, the 22-story Marriott near the I-10/12 split and College Drive is 4 miles from downtown. It would really add to the skyline if it was located downtown!

Some Covington residents continue to oppose plans for another Wal-Mart Supercenter, and a Sams Club in the new shopping center proposed for the I-12 area in southwest Covington.

Council may vote on retail center

Wal-Mart, Sam's plans prompt local outcry

Article

The residential project was approved yet again today. This time by the city council. The NIMBY supporters have now said that they are going to form a private group, and will try to take the developers to court. This all comes after city leaders publically approved the project, the city planning commision approved the project, and the city council approved the project. At this point, it's just starting to get annoying.

Hey NCB... I really do not think anyone knows for sure the population in BR post-Katrina ? I have seen the differing numbers in the past,but not anything that recent. Traffic has increased 33% from last year they say. BR proper had 225,000; EBR Parish 412,000 ; Metro 752,000.before Katrina !

BR has a website http://brgov.com (traffic resources)> Green Light Plan;A recent tax passed to approve this. It O.K's the tax for 23 more years to the exsiting one passed in 97'.Existing/Supplemental/Propsed totaling 82 Road projects in all !

I saw your pics for the Perkins Rowe urban village;GOOD NEWS! A Perkins/Picardy connector road on the Eastside of this project.Good news bec.neighboring cookie cutter subdivision opposed this,but the city overruled. So that Vermillion condo project has been put on HOLD bec. of exact uncertainty of where this street is going? The rest of this project started a couple months ago ! This new Connector Road will ignite this massive project giving it new access to I-10 behind the Mall of La.without driving on crowded Bluebonnet Blvd.

The 8 1/2 story Vermillion is the 1st of 4 condo's in phases.One per-year. Two more possibly at 10 stories and the last at 12-stories ! Wells Fargo will also now be part of PR. It' 3 story(65,000sq.ft)office will go on top of the 4-story parking garage near the new Cinema;not currently on website.

Also nearby across Bluebonnet;Wampold Companies will announce shortly its plans for a 4-star Hotel at the 12-story dorm skeleton on Swaggart Prop. Not yet sure if it will be razed !

Next door the Advocate newspaper moved their administrative offices from downtown to the former Swaggart 6-story HQ's.

Hey NCB... I really do not think anyone knows for sure the population in BR post-Katrina ? I have seen the differing numbers in the past,but not anything that recent. Traffic has increased 33% from last year they say. BR proper had 225,000; EBR Parish 412,000 ; Metro 752,000.before Katrina !

Thanks for all of the info, richyb! :D

I have another question for you. Have you heard any more recent reports about the city of Baton Rouge merging with East Baton Rouge Parish? If this were to occur, Baton Rouge could easily have a population of over 500,000, based on population projections for EBRP.

No..I have not heard anything about a meger between the city and the parish.That would be one huge area like Louisville or Jacksonville.Wow! It would be a suprise to me if this were to happen.Bec. last year the community of Central was incorporated as it's own city(pop.27,000;now LA's 16th largest city)with it's own seperate school system.And Zachary(north of Baker)is now a booming town with it's own school district. They probably should incoporate/extend the city limits edge(Shenandoah-18,000,Millerville,Oak Hills Place,Monticello,etc.)

* I have heard about an extra 60,000 people now live in BR ,which would make us around 285,000 in the city and close to 500,000 in the Parish. Some of the people are slowly begining to leave,heading back to NOLA.But I am sure there will be a signifigant permanent population in BR. The population in BR may have been doubled for a short time here,but gradually has been decreasing.I hear when all is said and done Jefferson Parish will have the State's largest population.

The Northshore area was already a traffic nightmare before Katrina.I can only imagine what it's like now ??? Are you living in St.Tammany Parish or NOLA ? It would have been nice to build an International Airport somewhere between BR & NOLA ! Like Dallas/Ft.Worth.

^I live in Saint Tammany Parish, in the city of Covington. The pre-Katrina population of Covington was around 9000, and some population projections have Covington with a population upwards of 40,000-50,000 people by 2010! :w00t: Though the traffic hear is absolutel horrible, and this can be said for the entire Parish, which has around 300,000 people in it right now.

I agree with the airport idea. A major airport in Tangipahoa Parish, maybe near Hammond, or something like that would be great for both Greater New Orleans and Greater Baton Rouge.

There is a large development proposed for Covington, just outside of the downtown area, on the NW side of the Bogue Falaya River, on HW 190. It is a large business, retail, and residence center which will be around 5-7 stories tall. The building is taller than zoning permits allow from that area, and the residents who live behind the proposed development(most of these residents live in woods) are fighting against it because it will block sunlight to their property during parts of the day. I don't have a rendering yet(I will most likely have to take a picture of the "future site of..." sign, and cant even remember what the project is called, :lol: but here is the location.

The site is the large red area :D ..

Covingtondevelopment.jpg

^Well I guess photobucket resized the photo to much.

Thanks for the updates ! Great to see New Orleans getting back on it's feet !

Pre-Katrina;Orleans Parish had pop.of 464,000; NCB, what do you think their population is now ? Any projections on future 5-year populations for Orleans Parish(N.O.Proper)?? I'm thinking only one could guess ?

Would Jefferson remain 1st; East Baton Rouge 2nd;Orleans or Caddo 3rd ???

Thanks for the updates ! Great to see New Orleans getting back on it's feet !

Pre-Katrina;Orleans Parish had pop.of 464,000; NCB, what do you think their population is now ? Any projections on future 5-year populations for Orleans Parish(N.O.Proper)?? I'm thinking only one could guess ?

Would Jefferson remain 1st; East Baton Rouge 2nd;Orleans or Caddo 3rd ???

No problem. :D

Population estimates for New Orleans have the city with a current population of around 170,000-180,000, and in 2010 the city is expected to have a population of around 300,000 people.

Jefferson is expected to be 1st, EBRP 2nd, and I don't think anyone can really tell who will be #3 at this point.

The National D-Day Museum Expansion

expansion_front.jpg

The National D-Day Museum unveiled its $282 million expansion and Capital Campaign plan that will quadruple the size of the existing facility over the next five years. The expanded museum will cover all of the theaters and services that played a role in World War II and create a national center for research on the war. When completed in phases between 2005 and 2009, it will be a world-class cultural attraction in New Orleans that will dramatically increase visitation and have a powerful economic impact on the city and state.

Galleries and exhibits will include a U.S. Pavilion, Great Campaigns of the War, Mission and Services gallery, The Victory Pavillion, Liberation - Winning the Peace, and Fruits of Victory. They will also feature macro displays, including tanks, airplanes, jeeps and other vintage vehicles. A 400-seat theater will showcase original documentaries and history-themed films, with a signature film on World War II that will employ advanced format and immersion technologies. A USO-style canteen and restaurant with exhibit space, featuring Music of the War Years, will illustrate the importance of entertainment for the morale of troops and citizens alike. Interactive campaign galleries and virtual reality experiences will help immerse visitors in realistic learning experiences on land, sea and air.

Archived