Woodruff Rd.(Greenville) and Harbison Blvd.(Columbia)

motonenterprises

Woodruff Rd. here in Greenville seems very, very busy! I have also been to Harbison in Columbia and it was very, very busy! For those of you that get to both cities on a regular basis, which one of this stretches of road seems busier? Are they about the same or is one busier than the other? Or is Harbison not even Columbia's busiest stretch or commercial stripping? Stay nice, this is not a war. I like both cities, I just live in Greenville and love it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbison is 4 at the exit and six for a little while at the mall and after. Honestly though, Woodruff is busier. I am always amazed at the traffic on Woodruff when I come home. But, would argue that Harbison experiences more traffic during a day than Woodruff does. Woodruff really is just too small and the lights are horrible. I love it anyway though.

Harbison is indeed ridiculous almost on any weekend. I think the main problem with it was that city or county officials did not plan ahead for the amount of traffic that would be using the road in this commercial area. Has there been at least some proposals for widening Harbison? I hope so, for the love of Pete!

Harbison is indeed ridiculous almost on any weekend. I think the main problem with it was that city or county officials did not plan ahead for the amount of traffic that would be using the road in this commercial area. Has there been at least some proposals for widening Harbison? I hope so, for the love of Pete!

According to the info above you probably hate to see Woodruff then. And they are still building on it. :blink:

:shok: Aye.........Kurumba! Are there any plans to widen Woodruff then? Is it even capable of being widened?

It was said that there are no more funds available for Woodruff Rd. So its going to get worse. After Thanksgiving there were patrolmen at every stoplight from Greenville mall to Greenridge guiding traffic. It was awful!

Hmmm....I guess I'll just stay around NE Cola and just "deal" with Two Notch and Clemson Road traffic. ;) Actually, county planners better plan on a possible Clemson Road widening with the current development being done. It is the primary route from I-20 to The Summit neighborhood and Village at Sandhills.

Two Notch isn't any better, but it wasn't up for debate in this thread :thumbsup:

Well, IMO, I think Two Notch is more manageable around Sparkleberry Lane and Clemson Road than Harbison...I'm not familiar with Woodruff enough to make a fair comparison. From the info I've read though, Harbison might be the more manageable of the two.

It was said that there are no more funds available for Woodruff Rd. So its going to get worse. After Thanksgiving there were patrolmen at every stoplight from Greenville mall to Greenridge guiding traffic. It was awful!

Not only that, I don't think there's any more space to widen Woodruff Road! I'm now reminded of when much of that road was still being widened (from a 2-lane road)...THAT was a nightmare at times, indeed!

I don't really know the feasability of this idea, but what about some sort of a monorail or other transportation system just for the woodruff area. Maybe a way to get some of the shoppers off of Woodruff road. It could possibly even be used to take people from Haywood to Woodruff... and maybe even stop in the Gville mall to revitalize it. May be too far fetched though

I don't really know the feasability of this idea, but what about some sort of a monorail or other transportation system just for the woodruff area. Maybe a way to get some of the shoppers off of Woodruff road. It could possibly even be used to take people from Haywood to Woodruff... and maybe even stop in the Gville mall to revitalize it. May be too far fetched though

Haha, I like the idea :D , but I also thought a tunnel under Woodruff would be cool... :whistling:

Anyway, I think there needs to be something (SOON) to provide an alternate route for commuters. If you can seperate a route for commuters from shoppers, then perhaps the congestion would be less...? Maybe light rail transit needs to just hurry up. This probably isn't too feasible, but use the Greenville Mall parking lot and let shoppers park and ride. Also, people not coming from this direction could park in any given parking lot of stores where the buses run and go from their... yea, yea, it would probably be a pain to carry shopping bags on a bus and back to your car... oh well. :(

• 4 weeks later...

SO, while back in Greenville I went to Woodruff to try to get to Greenridge... I aborted my mission via I-85 after sitting in traffic for 15 minutes and essentially going nowhere. :angry: I guess I should be thankful that it wasn't RUSH HOUR!

Here's a picture :D : (please excuse the quality)

NEW015.jpg

Archived