Cities that compare to Providence

TheBostonian

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/artic...self_in_the_us/

stamford, hmm, wonder why the Royal Bank of Scotland [Citizen's] would want to locate their new business ventures there??? similar to Providence's characteristics... hmm :thumbsup:

"Hmmm" is right... maybe I'm being too paranoid, but that kind of news strikes me as a potential threat to Providence.

I wonder if there were any talks/attempts to lure RBS to Providence.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hmmm" is right... maybe I'm being too paranoid, but that kind of news strikes me as a potential threat to Providence.

I wonder if there were any talks/attempts to lure RBS to Providence.

Dont' underestimate Stamford. Besides Boston and Hartford, it is the largest Corporate Center in New England and is considered to be NYC Metro. This put's them at an advantage against us and you guys in attracting new business. Maybe you don't like the culture there, but I speak $$. And Stamford easily compares with PVD in that category, in my opinion PVD is not in the same business class with Stamford.

2 good quotes

"Now, however, executives at The Royal recently told investors they will work with Citizens to compete head-to-head with the largest US banks -- Citigroup, Bank of America, and JP Morgan Chase. Bankers at both Citizens and The Royal say they have increased efforts to pass business back and forth."

"The Royal clearly wants more from its US subsidiary. In 2004, The Royal committed $10.5 billion for Citizens' biggest deal yet, acquiring Charter One Financial Inc. of Ohio in 2004."

Dont' underestimate Stamford. Besides Boston and Hartford, it is the largest Corporate Center in New England and is considered to be NYC Metro. This put's them at an advantage against us and you guys in attracting new business. Maybe you don't like the culture there, but I speak $$. And Stamford easily compares with PVD in that category, in my opinion PVD is not in the same business class with Stamford.

All true!!! I wonder if many realize how important Stamford's corporate community is. Many NYC corp's have relocated there. But what is the residential/local commercial community like?

All true!!! I wonder if many realize how important Stamford's corporate community is. Many NYC corp's have relocated there. But what is the residential/local commercial community like?

Couldn't tell you. I've only passed through. From what I do know they are pretty completely removed from New England Culture and have a New York-Mid Atlantic Mind set. I have only heard good things about the city though to tell you the truth and living there puts you in the NYC cultural sphere so I would say that most there would consider us true New Englanders as kind of country and backwards. They would certainly not feel that PVD or even Boston is culturally superior to them. No, not mighty Fairfield County.

That was my point -- RBS cuddling up to Stamford is a real threat to Providence.

That was my point -- RBS cuddling up to Stamford is a real threat to Providence.

I dont think so. after reading the quotes I posted, I feel as if they are going to continue rapidly expanding the citizens division. unless they plan on relocating the HQ, then it will only be good for Providence.

I don't think so either. RBS is lookign at business banking and they want to be near New York, Providence isn't close enough. RBS getting into Stamford doesn't concern me. If they were building in Manhattan (or Jersey City) I'd be concerned that Citizens would eventually follow.

On Stamford as a city. I actually knew a number of people who lived in NYC and reverse commuted to Stamford.

I don't think so either. RBS is lookign at business banking and they want to be near New York, Providence isn't close enough. RBS getting into Stamford doesn't concern me. If they were building in Manhattan (or Jersey City) I'd be concerned that Citizens would eventually follow.

On Stamford as a city. I actually knew a number of people who lived in NYC and reverse commuted to Stamford.

We are talking money here...Stamford is simply a part of the NYC metro and as such is a place to house financial centers in - pure geographic logic.

As to the thread topic - Not in any way comparable to Providence as a major city.

We are talking money here...Stamford is simply a part of the NYC metro and as such is a place to house financial centers in - pure geographic logic.

As to the thread topic - Not in any way comparable to Providence as a major city.

stamford is not at all comparable to providence. without new york, stamford would be a ghetto (actually, much of it isn't too nice) or a suburban town like greenwich or norwalk. there's really nothing there other than 95 and the railways that would make it a major city to begin with. bridgeport has the river and harbor, new haven has the river and harbor, hartford has the river. that's what attracts people there (at least back "in the day" :D ). stamford just kind of sticks out and is sort of out of place in the suburban landscape that is most of fairfield county (sure, downtown south norwalk, or SoNo to the hipsters there, is sort of a city type area, but norwalk as a whole is very suburban, although parts of norwalk also aren't too nice).

the only thing stamford really has is the nice shiny new buildings that look pretty from the highway. i wouldn't ever go there just to visit... it also has a uconn campus.

stamford is not at all comparable to providence. without new york, stamford would be a ghetto (actually, much of it isn't too nice) or a suburban town like greenwich or norwalk. there's really nothing there other than 95 and the railways that would make it a major city to begin with. bridgeport has the river and harbor, new haven has the river and harbor, hartford has the river. that's what attracts people there (at least back "in the day" :D ). stamford just kind of sticks out and is sort of out of place in the suburban landscape that is most of fairfield county (sure, downtown south norwalk, or SoNo to the hipsters there, is sort of a city type area, but norwalk as a whole is very suburban, although parts of norwalk also aren't too nice).

the only thing stamford really has is the nice shiny new buildings that look pretty from the highway. i wouldn't ever go there just to visit... it also has a uconn campus.

It looks like an oversized office park.It may be a business hub, but it certainly isn't a city. (at least 1 that I or most people would ever consider spending time in) -_-

It looks like an oversized office park.It may be a business hub, but it certainly isn't a city. (at least 1 that I or most people would ever consider spending time in) -_-

That is probably true as I have never been compelled to travel there either. I am, however, certain that they do not loose sleep about our absences, nor would they trade places with Providence or Hartford. They envy us all the way to the bank, with a fiscally marvelous city, housing fortune 500's that we would give our right arm for.

I have not been there, but from looking at the CT Apartment Guide, I can clearly see that they have some pretty spectacular housing developments in Stamford as well. I actually need to take trip there to see what it really is like.

That is probably true as I have never been compelled to travel there either. I am, however, certain that they do not loose sleep about our absences, nor would they trade places with Providence or Hartford. They envy us all the way to the bank, with a fiscally marvelous city, housing fortune 500's that we would give our right arm for.

I have not been there, but from looking at the CT Apartment Guide, I can clearly see that they have some pretty spectacular housing developments in Stamford as well. I actually need to take trip there to see what it really is like.

of course they wouldn't trade places with prov or hartford. they like their closeness to NYC. but that is also the only reason they have fortune 500's there. they have spectacular housing developments because they can easily attract people to an "urban" atmosphere that's cheaper than living in NYC (an hour trainride and you're at work in the real city). but it still just sort of pops up out of nowhere in the middle of fairfield county. it's certainly not a special city by any means and doesn't have the amenities of even a small city like providence or hartford or even new haven (i'd say bridgeport, but there's not much there either). for that, people just hop on metro-north to NYC.

The thing I like about Stamfrord is how the city has used what is their biggest assest, 95, The Metro, and built their as was called "Over Sized Office Park" within that infastucture. I would love to see a smaller sized stamford spring up around our major road ways. It seems like not until the Providence Place Mall we didnt use the land that was closest to the highway. I would think this land is less desireable, but at the same time as in stamford if done right the Illusion of a much larger city would be created.

The thing I like about Stamfrord is how the city has used what is their biggest assest, 95, The Metro, and built their as was called "Over Sized Office Park" within that infastucture. I would love to see a smaller sized stamford spring up around our major road ways. It seems like not until the Providence Place Mall we didnt use the land that was closest to the highway. I would think this land is less desireable, but at the same time as in stamford if done right the Illusion of a much larger city would be created.

I see the area around the Airport train station developing this way. It'll have the same resources, Route 95 and commuter rail/Amtrak and additionally it has an airport. Not that I'd really love to a see a Stamford in Rhode Island, but it's a better development style than the sprawl that is taking over the state.

I see the area around the Airport train station developing this way. It'll have the same resources, Route 95 and commuter rail/Amtrak and additionally it has an airport. Not that I'd really love to a see a Stamford in Rhode Island, but it's a better development style than the sprawl that is taking over the state.

Agreed!!!

it doesn't have the amenities of even a small city... for that, people just hop on metro-north to NYC.

This is the problem with the entire NYC metro area and all of its metros in a 2 hr circular radius of Manhattan... Stamford, White Plains, Newark, and even New Haven to a degree. No arts, entertainment, restaurants, events, etc ever take hold because, the thinking goes, what's the point? An hour on the train, 90 minute car ride later, etc and we're in "the real city" anyway. Thankfully this attitude has been slowly changing and some of these areas (White Plains perhaps being the best example) are seeing the growth of actual, nascent social scenes.

Regarding Stamford, though, it's really bizarre. As was pointed out, it actually has some very rough areas of town, and sizable areas at that. Other parts of town look like huge office parks, and Stamford does have a business presense that trouces Providence (and probably Providence and New Haven combined). There are some spectacular housing developments on the water, etc in the city, but they're suburban more than urban styled, although some downtown condos and resultant social life are in an infancy stage.

Since my "Providence, RI = Madison, WI" got shot down fast and hard... I'll vote for Pittsburgh. And like Garris said, check it out!

I agree with the Providence, RI = Madison, WI comparison!!! I think everyone missed my original message on that in the other topic area before it moved here. I think Madison is by far and away the closest comparison I'm aware of in the nation. They're similarly sized. Both are towns with universities, but are more than university towns. Both are capitol cities dominated by their capitol structures. There is almost a one to one feature and neighborhood comparison (Waterplace = Monona Terrace, Thayer St. = State Street). Even before I knew I was going to be living in Providence, the first time I went to Madison, I told my travelling companions, "This place is like the Providence of the Midwest." My photos of Madison are here: http://members.cox.net/garrisphotography/G...st.html#Madison

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Brace yourselves for the latest Brussat column: "Learning lessons from Hartford" He did make some good comparisons (Capital Center to Adrieans Landing, the State Houses on hills, etc.), but then he just went on his usual Providence and GTECH bashing:

"Yet, even though Hartford has not learned its lesson, it may someday equal Providence in beauty, and without lifting a finger. For Providence is now eagerly copying Hartford's mistakes, embracing a future in which its beauty will be history, too."
"But Bushnell Park still offers the sort of magisterial elegance that in Waterplace Park has now been muddled -- probably forever -- by the suburbanizing abomination of GTECH."

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/co...s.17c58f2f.html

Brace yourselves for the latest Brussat column: "Learning lessons from Hartford" He did make some good comparisons (Capital Center to Adrieans Landing, the State Houses on hills, etc.), but then he just went on his usual Providence and GTECH bashing:

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/co...s.17c58f2f.html

i want to know how gtech is suburbanizing providence... and i don't even think you can compare bushnell park to waterplace park, both very different types of parks and never meant to be similar. the closest thing to bushnell would be roger williams park, but that's tough because it's on the outskirts of the city.

the one thing about our state house is that it's moer accessible. it's right there in the middle of everything. hartford's is kind of separated from the main parts of teh city. i also like the look of ours much better than hartford's. frankly, i find hartford's to be ugly.

what does this guy want providence to become?

the sort of magisterial elegance that in Waterplace Park has now been muddled -- probably forever -- by the suburbanizing abomination of GTECH.

- David Brussat

I love how he's already passed judgement on the GTECH building's influence on Waterplace Park before the park-level spaces have even been created. As an "architecture critic," you'd think he'd at least wait until the work on the most influencial aspect of the building and how it relates to the park has actually started!

:rolleyes:

If he was really concerned about the historic fabric of Downtown Providence he would have written a piece on Sierra Suites weeks ago. He hasn't so one must assume he doesn't care. GTECH is almost done, love it or hate it, it's there. Stop crying about it and try to do something about improving a project that hasn't put shovels in the ground yet.

This is the problem with the entire NYC metro area and all of its metros in a 2 hr circular radius of Manhattan... Stamford, White Plains, Newark, and even New Haven to a degree. No arts, entertainment, restaurants, events, etc ever take hold because, the thinking goes, what's the point? An hour on the train, 90 minute car ride later, etc and we're in "the real city" anyway. Thankfully this attitude has been slowly changing and some of these areas (White Plains perhaps being the best example) are seeing the growth of actual, nascent social scenes.

Regarding Stamford, though, it's really bizarre. As was pointed out, it actually has some very rough areas of town, and sizable areas at that. Other parts of town look like huge office parks, and Stamford does have a business presense that trouces Providence (and probably Providence and New Haven combined). There are some spectacular housing developments on the water, etc in the city, but they're suburban more than urban styled, although some downtown condos and resultant social life are in an infancy stage.

I agree with the Providence, RI = Madison, WI comparison!!! I think everyone missed my original message on that in the other topic area before it moved here. I think Madison is by far and away the closest comparison I'm aware of in the nation. They're similarly sized. Both are towns with universities, but are more than university towns. Both are capitol cities dominated by their capitol structures. There is almost a one to one feature and neighborhood comparison (Waterplace = Monona Terrace, Thayer St. = State Street). Even before I knew I was going to be living in Providence, the first time I went to Madison, I told my travelling companions, "This place is like the Providence of the Midwest." My photos of Madison are here: http://members.cox.net/garrisphotography/G...st.html#Madison

- Garris

"No arts, entertainment, restaurants, events, etc ever take hold because, the thinking goes, what's the point". hey guy, i don't know how you come to this conclusion about new haven, but your comment raises questions about your credibility. you are way off.

Archived