NC Lottery

Spartan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant what do you North Carolinians think about the lottery itself. The facts about SC were meant as more of an aside. In SC the lottery was a controversial thing when they proposed it (which was largely for the same reasons NC is) and it remains as such today. However, politics in NC are very different from SC (being that it is a less conservative state), so I am curious to know how the people feel about it. Maybe its not a big deal? Maybe it is exploiting the poor? Maybe its the greatest thing for education? I dont know. I am just interested in your take on the issue.

As for SC- I don't think we will loose that much unless NC picks up the PowerBall system, though there will certainly be some loss. South Carolinians still drive to GA when the MegaMillions jackpot gets high enough.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

North Carolina will get its state lottery the first half of 2006. In addition, NC will enter the multi-state lottery game called Powerball. South Carolina has Powerball, Virgina has Mega Millions. Obvioulsy this hurts South Carolina because people will no longer cross over to SC to play the lottery. However people will still cross over to Virginia when the Mega Millions jackpot is high. Currently Greensboro residents take the 30 minute drive to Danville, Virginia to play all the games.

They will still cross the line into SC for cheap booze and fireworks. Neither of which exist in NC.

You get a heck of a deal with the beer quanitity in Virginia over NC and still spend less! Another reason to go into Danville to get a mega-millions ticket and a 30 case of beer for the price of a 24 case in NC.

So in the big scheme of things.....what is this going to bring for NC? How much $ are we talking here, and where is it going to go (i.e. schools, roads etc.) ?

I heard it was like $400 million. This is going to be an educational lottery...half is going to the building of new schools, a quarter goes to scholarships, and another quarter goes somewhere educational.

Well I knew we'd get a lottery eventually but it was kind of a shock that we are getting it so soon. There seem to be alot of opposition against it in Raleigh. An educational lottery will be great for NC. Go to Virgina. Drive through the small towns and you will see they have better schools than the largest cities in NC. The lottery fund will not only go towards school construction but eduactional programs as well.

^^ a great thing, I guess, in that it's more money for education, but the real winner will be the contractor who wins the bid to run the game. Education will get something like a dime on the dollar. The execs running the thing are already some of the highest paid public employees while teachers get nada. I'm not a math guy, but this seems like an insanely inefficient way to fund school to me.

^^ a great thing, I guess, in that it's more money for education, but the real winner will be the contractor who wins the bid to run the game. Education will get something like a dime on the dollar. The execs running the thing are already some of the highest paid public employees while teachers get nada. I'm not a math guy, but this seems like an insanely inefficient way to fund school to me.

Its better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not going to do anything for our schools. It'll just reduce the amount of funds that Virginia and South Carolina have to gain from us. We should make fireworks legal. People are buying them and setting them off here anyway. And then we can all sign an oath to never pass any morality laws again.

It's not going to do anything for our schools. It'll just reduce the amount of funds that Virginia and South Carolina have to gain from us. We should make fireworks legal. People are buying them and setting them off here anyway. And then we can all sign an oath to never pass any morality laws again.

Why did they ban selling those kinds of fireworks in th first place? It's idiotic!

Archived