Montreal

vadin

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some info. on Montreal. My employer offered me an opportunity to move to Montreal to work on a 2-3 year project. My wife is a Canadian, so I am quite familiar with Canada in general from our travels there to visit relatives. Most of our trips to Candada have been to the Vancouver area and Nova Scotia, so I don't much about Montreal. I'm not sure if I'll accept the position yet, and I wanted to get as much info about the city as possible so that I can make the best position for me and my family.

Here is what I would like to know:

1) My wife is fluent in French, but I don't speak the language. How difficult would it be for me to get by with only speaking English? Are the neighborhoods typically separated into mostly English and French-speaking neighborhoods, or are there areas that are mixed?

2) We have two small children, so is the city kid friendly in general? What neighborhoods predominantly consist of young families?

3) Our office is located in the Northeast part of the island, near the Port of Montreal. How is traffic getting to and from this area? How far could I live from this area without spending more than 45 minutes commuting? How is the parking? How is public transportation?

4) What are the areas outside of the island like? How would the commute be?

5) Ideally, we would like to live in an area where there are other families with children, where we can walk a short distance to parks, shops, etc. Someplace where there is public transportation and good schools. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot help you with too much above but when I visited Montreal last summer I had no problems getting around. I speak only English but took French in high school so I was at least prepared to understand the basics. I think you'll pick up French very quickly. In the 4 days that I was there my French sharpened up quite a bit. My only problem, being from the US South, was that I speak only English and by nature think Spanish as my second language so from time to time I would catch myself answering people in Spanish.

Public Transportation was awesome - had no problems there but then again I was only in the downtown area.

Downtown seemed extremely family-friendly.

I'm going to watch this thread because I'd like to go to Grad School at McGill.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

well, I am a bit surprised to find there is not a whole lot going on around here.

I am a native Montrealer and I am living in that city so if you guys are still around I will help out as best I can.

Thanks,

Neath

Hi,

well, I am a bit surprised to find there is not a whole lot going on around here.

I am a native Montrealer and I am living in that city so if you guys are still around I will help out as best I can.

Thanks,

Neath

Archived