Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRGridGirl

Increase in Costs of Utilities

41 posts in this topic

Okay, I got my gas bill. Thirty bucks more than last year. Did anyone get hit hard on their bill?

Okay, I got my gas bill. Thirty bucks more than last year. Did anyone get hit hard on their bill?

Not terribly bad, no. About the same as yours I think. A co-worker looked into the possibility of doing the "fixed bill" thing, but it would have been over 200 a month for the whole year, so he is worried that his bill will be like 400 bucks :blink: I suppose this might hurt those with older, drafty houses and inefficient furnaces harder than others. :unsure:

My wife works for Michcon/DTE, so that is the only bill that I don't mind mailing out every month. Although for older people on fixed incomes, it is really becoming a strain. Having to choose between eating and heating your house is not a good position to be in.

We went with the fixed and I think it's somewhere around $120 - $130, but our house is Energy Star rated and we also have a high-efficiency water heater and furnace, so that makes a HUGE difference.

I didn't know you can geta fixed plan? Hmm, is it really worth it? I payed about 50 more last month.

I didn't know you can geta fixed plan? Hmm, is it really worth it? I payed about 50 more last month.

The only benefit is that your bill is fixed (they average out your past year's use) so that it doesn't go up and down during different seasons. It's very nice for budgeting, that's for sure.

Does anyone know if organizations like Home Repair Services goes around and "winter-izes" homes for people. That would be nice.

Does anyone know if organizations like Home Repair Services goes around and "winter-izes" homes for people. That would be nice.

What do you mean by winterize?

What do you mean by winterize?

Add extra insulation in the attic, seal around windows, put insulating foam in exterior wall outlets, maybe plastic sheathing on drafty windows, wrap your water heater.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=heat_cool.pr_winter

EPA - Energy Star puts out this guide: Home Sealing Do-It-Yourself Guide

My wife works for Michcon/DTE,

kathybatesthewaterboy0014yt.jpg

DTE Energy is the devil Bobby Bouchet.............

Sorry I'm getting punchy today :P

Nitro

DTE Energy is the devil Bobby Bouchet.............

Sorry I'm getting punchy today :P

Nitro

Ooh, wait till I show her that picture. Somebody is going to be going without heat this Christmas. :P

Ooh, wait till I show her that picture. Somebody is going to be going without heat this Christmas. :P

This :ph34r: would have been the more appropriate smilie Prankster. :P

This :ph34r: would have been the more appropriate smilie Prankster. :P

Nah, she will make sure her name is at the top of the Shutoff Notice. So there won't be a need for :ph34r: .

Dad, HRS might do it, I know that they offer a lot of information for first-time home buyers and how to winterize. Since my mom goes through HRS she might be going down to the Division location to pick up some more info about it, (she lives in a house off of Leanord north of Downtown that is so drafty you can see the curtons move!) if you want I can relay you the stuff.

I have to get going, but heres some place to start:

http://www.homerepairservices.org/home.html

My home is OK, Rizzo, but I was thinking it would be a great service to provide. A gift that keeps on giving. Especially for people who work in construction trades, like HRS's members.

I figured that, but it sounded like you might have someone that would benefit from HRS.

I figured that, but it sounded like you might have someone that would benefit from HRS.

Actually, I do, but they live in Lansing.

OMG...we got our gas bill yesterday. Last month it was $95. This month it was $245...OUCH :shok:

:cry: Now i'm nervous.

Me too. A friend got hit for over $400. :shok:

Me too. A friend got hit for over $400. :shok:

My Fiances went from 160-something to $381. Mine was up about 100 bucks.

Hey, you can all thank Mr. GW for this weather. How long will it be before there's no snow in West Michigan? After going to Traverse City last year, I remembered what GR winters were like.

I know, I know, quit the b**chin'! At least we don't have to turn the heat on as high.