Top Ten Wish List for Spartanburg in 2006

roads-scholar

What is your top ten wish list for Spartanburg in 2006? Here's mine:

1. Another "something" for Renaissance Park.

2. More restaurants (Chili's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, etc.) to join City Range at Westgate.

3. Grocery store on South Church Street.

4. A major department store to replace Proffits at Westgate Mall.

5. New development for the westside Lowe's and Best Buy sites.

6. More announcements for the Easton development on East Main Street.

7. Another major downtown office building.

8. Passenger rail service between Spartanburg and Asheville.

9. Target and Home Depot in Boiling Springs.

10. Major announcement for renovation of the Montgomery Building.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new tallest, retail in the bottom

new residential tower with affordable rent

i think it would be cool to have dining on the tops of some of the buildings downtown overlooking the square

narrowing main st. between dean st. and pine st.

new signage downtown

some new public artwork

renovation of the montgomery building

new developments where all of those little motels are around main and pine streets

more resturants on the eastside

for the Bijou market to finally open

ive been thinking this for as long as ive been living here. It can be done, but whos gonna step up and make it happen?

That's the one thing standing in the way of the next major highrise announcement. I wonder if Spartan will become the CEO of a major company that'll locate its headquarters in downtown. He could have a say on what style and size it should be. Who knows, he may even become the next big name in Spartanburg urban development? ^_^

That's the one thing standing in the way of the next major highrise announcement. I wonder if Spartan will become the CEO of a major company that'll locate its headquarters in downtown. He could have a say on what style and size it should be. Who knows, he may even become the next big name in Spartanburg urban development? ^_^

Perhaps :shades:

I doubt we will see much more office space downtown until the available space we have is filled up, unless ssome business in the County decides to relocate downtown. Right now there is the first floor of ESA, two or three floors in Denny's Tower, and Johnson's new spec buildings on E Main and Liberty, E Main and Alabama/Hall, and soon to be Liberty and Broad that will need to be occupied. I am certain that there is more space that I am not aware of. The Montgomery building perhaps? The building next to Advance America?

What I want to see is:

1. more restaurants, bars/clubs, and retail downtown

2. more residential opportunities downtown

3. businesses to fill the available space we have to encourage more growth

4. the beginnings of the expansion of the downtown core (possible to the Harris Pl area and that flour mill?)

5. ANYTHING that could indicate life in the Renaissance Park project

6. More restaurants and an electronics store for Hillcrest

7. the creation of a Converse heights Historic District

8. the narrowing of E Main bewteen Converse and Pine

9. more infill in the 'outer' regions of downtown (Kennedy, Henry, and N Daniel Morgan- all east of Converse St.)

10. Something happening west of the railroad tracks on Main. Anything will do.

My top 5 wish list for Spartanburg...

1.) Anything to go into the old Best Buy and Lowes building on Spartanburg's Westside.

2.) New Restaurants such as Chili's, Friday's.

3.) CompUSA would be nice or any electronics store that carried mac products.

4.) Rails-to-trails programs started - if Spartanburg is serious about being a bike-friendly town we need this to happen.

5.) Ball fields on the westside. Besides the schools, there isn't any I'm aware of.

Cool ideas. I'd like to add--

--Renovation/restoration of Duncan Park (oops...already mentioned, but I'll mention it again :D )

--Population to get back to at least >40,000 (or higher if SC could do something about its antiquated annexation laws, but I don't want to beat a dead horse here...)

My top 5 wish list for Spartanburg...

1.) Anything to go into the old Best Buy and Lowes building on Spartanburg's Westside.

2.) New Restaurants such as Chili's, Friday's.

3.) CompUSA would be nice or any electronics store that carried mac products.

4.) Rails-to-trails programs started - if Spartanburg is serious about being a bike-friendly town we need this to happen.

5.) Ball fields on the westside. Besides the schools, there isn't any I'm aware of.

welcome to the forum westside! I agree with all of your ideas. The city has done a pretty good job of filling the spots of former big boxes. The Westside and Hillcrest Walmarts and the former Kmart on Garner Rd off of N Pine and the former Kmart in Hillcrest are some excellent examples of this. I think its only a matter of time. I too would like to see an electronics store that carries mac products as I am planning to get one soon. :thumbsup:

Cool ideas. I'd like to add--

--Renovation/restoration of Duncan Park (oops...already mentioned, but I'll mention it again :D )

--Population to get back to at least >40,000 (or higher if SC could do something about its antiquated annexation laws, but I don't want to beat a dead horse here...)

I would like to see the city return to its goal of 50,000 that it never reached. I think it was as high as 45 - 48 thousand at one point. The problem is that most of this will have to come from annexation for the time being.

• 1 month later...

Other things to wish for:

*reviving South Church Street and southside communities

*renovating and restoring Duncan Park stadium

*light commuter rail to Greenville

*reviving Arcadia

*urban market grocer downtown (i.e. Publix)

Is the Duncan Park Stadium still in operation? I'm not from Spartanburg, but I know that area. I think i'd be a nice place to buy a house, especially with that lake over there. Overall, I think there's some hope for Duncan Park.

Reviving Arcadia? Have you been through there lately? It's atrocious. Trailer parks have just completely ruined the entire area. I drive through there every now and then and I see lots of road kill :(.

Yes, the stadium hosts two summer leagues: the Spartanburg Stingers and the Spartanburg Stingers

Dunpark is a good neighborhood. Lots of diversity there. Its certainly not on its way out.

Arcadia is pretty gross, but have you explored the area at all? It has some great mill village houses in it, which is out point. If you only look at what is on Blackstock and Hayne St, then I understand your point :)

The point is that it IS gross and that it needs to be rehabilitated, which is not impossible.

• 2 months later...

While we are talking about improving roads into Downtown; In addition to narrowing E. Main, I'd like to see West Main narrowed from the intersection of St John St Connector, all the way to Morgan Square. Two lanes lined with Oak Trees and all utilities placed underground. ( currently a utility pole, power line forest) Since most of the traffic is now diverted to St John there is no real need for four lanes into town and like E. main it would improve the entrance to the city, tie it in with Morgan square and perhaps spur additional developement. Maybe the city could place a new multi story City Hall at the Salvation Army location on West Main and free up their current location on Broad Street for commercial or mixed used developement. :)

While we are talking about improving roads into Downtown; In addition to narrowing E. Main, I'd like to see West Main narrowed from the intersection of St John St Connector, all the way to Morgan Square. Two lanes lined with Oak Trees and all utilities placed underground. ( currently a utility pole, power line forest) Since most of the traffic is now diverted to St John there is no real need for four lanes into town and like E. main it would improve the entrance to the city, tie it in with Morgan square and perhaps spur additional developement. Maybe the city could place a new multi story City Hall at the Salvation Army location on West Main and free up their current location on Broad Street for commercial or mixed used developement. :)

I like that idea. If the downtown area is to continue to grow, it will definately need more and more 2 lane pedestrian friendly streets.

• 6 months later...

With 2006 nearly over, what on your lists came to pass? Here is mine:

What I want to see is:
  1. more restaurants, bars/clubs, and retail downtown

2. more residential opportunities downtown

3. businesses to fill the available space we have to encourage more growth

4. the beginnings of the expansion of the downtown core (possible to the Harris Pl area and that flour mill?)

5. ANYTHING that could indicate life in the Renaissance Park project

6. More restaurants and an electronics store for Hillcrest

7. the creation of a Converse heights Historic District

8. the narrowing of E Main bewteen Converse and Pine

9. more infill in the 'outer' regions of downtown (Kennedy, Henry, and N Daniel Morgan- all east of Converse St.)

10. Something happening west of the railroad tracks on Main. Anything will do.

With 2006 nearly over, what on your lists came to pass? Here is mine:
  1. Yes! Oscar's, Lime Leaf, etc, several other restarants u/c, 3 new coffee shops, 1 new bar proposed, a few new retail stores

2. Yes! new condo's coming to Main St in multiple locations, new condo's u/c at Broad & Liberty

3. Yes! new bank HQ across from the Library that is in a true urban design, Johnson building on E Main

4. neutral- the Hub-Bub building is a success... The old flour mill property was purchased but nothing is going to happen as of yet. No word on Harris Place either.

5. Nope!

6. Nope! we actually lost a few retail/restaurants, and that Books-a-million never did come.

7. neutral- Converse Heights wants to consider it now, but nothing official yet

8. Yes! its officially in the plans... good enough for me!

9. neutral- some on Kennedy, but not on the others

10. Nope!

Thats:

4-yes

3-neutral

3-no

Archived