Higher Education Construction Projects in NWA

mcheiss

Got some news on this older topic. Looks like a future Catholic high school is making some progress. The diocese sold off 45 acres of the 100 acres of land they own in Lowell to help pay for the rest of the 55 acres. The decision to build could come within the next year or so.

That is good to hear, I'm glad this is progressing.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Educational Facility for College students is going to open this fall.

Northwest Arkansas Community College will open its newest learning center this fall when it brings four college-credit classes to Bella Vista.

Classes will be held in newly renovated space at Highlands Crossing. While this facility only has a capacity of 23 students, it's still good news.

Thanks for mentioning that. That reminds me of a question I've been wanting to ask. Is this the first parking garage in Benton County?

Yes, but several are being planned.

A Ten Story Office Building off Horsebarn is suppose to be building a parking garage, along with Pinnacle thinking about one in the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills area, plus one in Downtown Bentonville.

Yes, but several are being planned.

A Ten Story Office Building off Horsebarn is suppose to be building a parking garage, along with Pinnacle thinking about one in the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills area, plus one in Downtown Bentonville.

Yeah I figured more would be on their way. But when I heard about the one at NWACC I started thinking, if there an existing one in Benton County.

A new elementary school will be opening up in Bentonville School District.

The Centerton-Gamble Elementary School will open up Monday, which should be the first elementary school in Centerton.

I drive by that school all the time going from our store to dropping my daughter off at where she volunteers.

Nice looking school...it's also resulted in paving of some roads in front of and north of the school, and one that's going to be paved to the south as well. Centerton still has some significant traffic issues brewing in a town of 6,000 with one (blinker) stop light.

I was listening to KURM yesterday and they mentioned that next month Rogers is going to announce some sort of project that involved the Walton College of Business. Anyone heard anything about this?

Can't say I've heard anything about this. Any of you Rogers people heard anything?

I was listening to KURM yesterday and they mentioned that next month Rogers is going to announce some sort of project that involved the Walton College of Business. Anyone heard anything about this?

Was this construction related?

I haven't heard of anything on this.

Was this construction related?

I haven't heard of anything on this

The way it was phrased it sounded like it. He was being very vague though. If you ever listen to KURM the owner/talk show host is Steve Womack's dad, so it's a pretty credible source. I'll see if I can dig a little and find out anything else.

The way it was phrased it sounded like it. He was being very vague though. If you ever listen to KURM the owner/talk show host is Steve Womack's dad, so it's a pretty credible source. I'll see if I can dig a little and find out anything else.

Alright. It sounds interesting.

Well, I'm finding absolutely nothing, but he did mention it again today saying something to the effect of "This entity will be in Rogers and will have worldwide consequence in the area of retail and commerce." Then, again, he mentioned the College of Business being involved. Something I forgot to mention yesterday, he also said it would be "quite an entrepreneurial undertaking." I'm going to go ahead and assume that that since it would have a "worldwide" effect in retail and commerce that it will somehow involve Wal-Mart. I won't speculate too much though. It could just be hype. I guess we'll find out next month.

Here's some school district enrollment numbers for the first day.

School----------------------2006-07------------2005-06

Springdale-----------------15,834--------------14,849

Rogers---------------------13,485--------------12,927

Bentonville-----------------11,257--------------10,255

Fayetteville-----------------N/A------------------7,958

Farmington-----------------N/A------------------2,050

Pea Ridge-------------------1,461---------------1,318

Siloam Springs-------------3,608---------------3,252

Updated high school enrollment projections by 2012 (based on these numbers reported above, not allowing for further growth save for the Springdale projections cited elsewhere):

Bentonville high (1,700 students)

Bentonville high #2 (1,700 students)

Rogers high (2,050 students)

Rogers high #2 (2,050 students)

Springdale high (2,600 students)

Har-ber high (2,300 students)

Springdale high #3 (2,000 students)

Fayetteville high (2,300 students)

Siloam Springs high (1,110 students)

McDonald County, MO high (1,000 students)

Matt,

I remember growing up in Springfield, MO in the late 60s-early 80s when the outlying suburbs of Ozark, Nixa, Republic, Willard and (even) Branson had high schools in the 300-600 (in later years) enrollment range. Now every one of those communities has well over 1,000 kids in their high school. (And I think the biggest school Springfield ever saw has been Kickapoo High with maybe 1,800-1,900 kids at its highest...I don't think there's ever been a 2,000 student high school in the Springfield area, at least not in most of our lifetimes.)

NWA area educators are deluded, I believe, if they think there won't be massive "spill" and "sprawl" into districts as Pea Ridge, Gravette, Farmington, Prairie Grove, West Fork, Elkins or elsewhere some day as a result of these numbers above.

Didn't realize that Bentonville had that many more than Fayetteville, well at least last year. Although I imagine this year's figures will show about the same or maybe even more of a gap.

Didn't realize that Bentonville had that many more than Fayetteville, well at least last year. Although I imagine this year's figures will show about the same or maybe even more of a gap.

Must be because Fayetteville has a large percentage of singles and college students whereas Bentonville has a large percentage of families.

Must be because Fayetteville has a large percentage of singles and college students whereas Bentonville has a large percentage of families.

A lot of it is also just how the school district boundaries fall. All of the smaller towns outside Fayetteville have their own school districts and often times people actually living near the edge of Fayetteville actually go to school in those towns instead of Fayetteville. It seems every other NWA city doesn't have this.

A lot of it is also just how the school district boundaries fall. All of the smaller towns outside Fayetteville have their own school districts and often times people actually living near the edge of Fayetteville actually go to school in those towns instead of Fayetteville. It seems every other NWA city doesn't have this.

Exactly. This effect is exacerbated by the fact that the edge of town and the suburban area around Fayetteville is where many of the families live, where as the inner part of town IS dominated by smaller families and singles.

I live on Weddington well inside the Fayetteville city limits, but this neighborhood is entirely in the Farmington school district.

Exactly. This effect is exacerbated by the fact that the edge of town and the suburban area around Fayetteville is where many of the families live, where as the inner part of town IS dominated by smaller families and singles.

I live on Weddington well inside the Fayetteville city limits, but this neighborhood is entirely in the Farmington school district.

Fayetteville's terrain and the land area covered by the UofA does affect it's population density like Mith has said before, so it's understandable that most families are located toward the edge of town. Other cities like Bentonville don't seem to have this problem since most of the land is flat and population density is more evenly spread out from the center of town.

Another point I'd like to make is that overall cheaper houses lie on the dges while more established neighborhoods are much more expensive. So many families go for the cheaper houses on the edges of the city and therefore end up in other school districts as jdevers mentioned.

I finally saw Fayetteville's figures.

8,159 this year compared to last year's 7,956.

Archived