Higher Education Construction Projects in NWA

mcheiss

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I see the site now, they have average attendance of 5,000 in Fellowship Bible Church in Lowell. 4,000 average in First Baptist in Springdale and 2,400 average in Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock. I can't say I've even heard of Fellowship Bible in Lowell. I also wonder why we seem to have such big churches up here.

Looking at what we have down here, they're not really big at all.

A lot of it is the boom now, the failure in the past to develop smaller neighborhood congregations as the area spread. As the population rises quickly, proportionately few newer congregations are formed.

There are a lot of churches in LR in the 1000-2000 range. The one I went to, 2nd Presbyterian, had about 1600 members.

I'm surprised by that, I would've thought Fellowship Bible Church and Immanuel Baptist were bigger. Arkansas Baptist is run by First Baptist Church in Little Rock, which is a large affluent Baptist church but is dwarfed by the others. Again, it's hard to do for a couple of reasons - one is that you don't have Baptist elementary schools as feeders. Second, is that again you don't have a large governing agency like the Diocese that has experience with running schools to help start the place up.

A big issue is that Baptists don't generally run "prep schools". They have a different agenda.

You must not be familiar with the private schools in Little Rock.

I've looked at all of them for my kids, and have known people with kids in each one. Every single one of them is accredited as a "prep school," and generally do a good job of preparing their kids for college. I realize that Catholic is the best of the bunch, but after much experience with the schools it's my opinion that it's Catholic, and then the rest. PA has a really good reputation (where my kids are attending), but they don't produce any more merit finalists than the other schools, and actually CAC probably produces the most (outside of Catholic), and the Baptist school also produces a high amount even though they are smaller. You haven't mentioned Little Rock Christian, and they are exploding and provide a great education from what I have seen.

I've looked at all of them for my kids, and have known people with kids in each one. Every single one of them is accredited as a "prep school," and generally do a good job of preparing their kids for college. I realize that Catholic is the best of the bunch, but after much experience with the schools it's my opinion that it's Catholic, and then the rest. PA has a really good reputation (where my kids are attending), but they don't produce any more merit finalists than the other schools, and actually CAC probably produces the most (outside of Catholic), and the Baptist school also produces a high amount even though they are smaller. You haven't mentioned Little Rock Christian, and they are exploding and provide a great education from what I have seen.

I almost asked this earlier what's PA and CAC?

I obviously stepped on some toes but I assure you I am completely familiar with the private and public schools in Little Rock, I just moved down here a few mos ago and prior to that lived my entire life save 6 mos in Little Rock. Accredited as a "prep school" means nothing, any school that wants that designation can get it.

If I lived in LR the schools I would consider for my kids would be Catholic, PA, and Episcopal (not in any order other than size), all 3 are genuinely excellent. Aside from that I think you're better off at Central or Hall (of course an argument can be made if the kid is bright Central is the best option anyway). I know plenty of flunkies from every school but I also know a lot more kids that struggled from CAC, Ark Baptist, Abundant Life, and LRC. Furthermore, in med schools there were more kids from Catholic than any HS in Arkansas by far, PA was well-represented and there wasn't much of anything else. I had friends that went to all of these schools and I have cousins and family friends there now.

I almost asked this earlier what's PA and CAC?

PA is Pulaski Academy, an expensive (with books, tuition, extracurriculars, etc it runs nearly $10k) West Little Rock nondenominational school. It's popular with Pleasant Valley and Chenal residents but also draws a lot of the Muslim and Hindu physicians and other professionals' kids and with kids of all religions. It's a nice school and provides a solid education but it has a rep as being snobby and overpriced.

CAC is Central Arkansas Christian, a Church of Christ affiliated school in NLR along I-430 near Maumelle. It's probably the 4th best private school in the area but known probably more for being a small-division sports school and being more Christian-oriented. I think CAC is in many ways very similar to Shiloh Christian. Their baseball teams always rocks and a guy I used to play AL ball with, AJ Burnett, is now one of MLB's hottest pitchers.

I obviously stepped on some toes but I assure you I am completely familiar with the private and public schools in Little Rock, I just moved down here a few mos ago and prior to that lived my entire life save 6 mos in Little Rock. Accredited as a "prep school" means nothing, any school that wants that designation can get it.

If I lived in LR the schools I would consider for my kids would be Catholic, PA, and Episcopal (not in any order other than size), all 3 are genuinely excellent. Aside from that I think you're better off at Central or Hall (of course an argument can be made if the kid is bright Central is the best option anyway). I know plenty of flunkies from every school but I also know a lot more kids that struggled from CAC, Ark Baptist, Abundant Life, and LRC. Furthermore, in med schools there were more kids from Catholic than any HS in Arkansas by far, PA was well-represented and there wasn't much of anything else. I had friends that went to all of these schools and I have cousins and family friends there now.

No, sorry if my post came across like I was pissed, I have just been very impressed with the selection of private schools in LR. Like I said, my kids go to PA and you have said nothing degrading that school, and even if you did I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled.

Anyway, obviously I left Episcopal out of my discussion. What a great school, I can't say enough good things about it - but I will say a school like that is only a product of money like the Stephens's have donated.

Asfar as CAC, AB, LRC, and Abundant Life goes, I would consider all three to be excellent choices except for Abundant Life. Greater than 90% of the kids from those three schools attend college, and are offered millions of dollars in scholarships every year. One thing people tend to forget about schools like CAC, AB, and LRC, is that a lot of parents try to use these schools to get their misguided youngster back on track, and in the process sometimes the schools get a black eye. Since, like you said, these schools see their educational facilities as ministries, they take these kids in to many times have nothing but problems with them and, of course, (not to be blunt, but it's the truth) they turn out to be nothing but losers with a CAC/AB/LRC diploma hanging on their wall, which obviously looks terrible for the school (longest sentence ever but I'm too lazy to edit). You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I know of many graduates of these schools that were prepared well for college.

I'd bet that in 2004, CAC produced more merit finalists (per capita) than any other school, save Catholic because I will admit I am not that familiar with their statistics. I'd also bet that in at least one year of the last five, that AB has produced the most merit finalists (per capita), and maybe more than once.

No, sorry if my post came across like I was pissed, I have just been very impressed with the selection of private schools in LR. Like I said, my kids go to PA and you have said nothing degrading that school, and even if you did I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled.

Anyway, obviously I left Episcopal out of my discussion. What a great school, I can't say enough good things about it - but I will say a school like that is only a product of money like the Stephens's have donated.

Asfar as CAC, AB, LRC, and Abundant Life goes, I would consider all three to be excellent choices except for Abundant Life. Greater than 90% of the kids from those three schools attend college, and are offered millions of dollars in scholarships every year. One thing people tend to forget about schools like CAC, AB, and LRC, is that a lot of parents try to use these schools to get their misguided youngster back on track, and in the process sometimes the schools get a black eye. Since, like you said, these schools see their educational facilities as ministries, they take these kids in to many times have nothing but problems with them and, of course, (not to be blunt, but it's the truth) they turn out to be nothing but losers with a CAC/AB/LRC diploma hanging on their wall, which obviously looks terrible for the school (longest sentence ever but I'm too lazy to edit). You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I know of many graduates of these schools that were prepared well for college.

I'd bet that in 2004, CAC produced more merit finalists (per capita) than any other school, save Catholic because I will admit I am not that familiar with their statistics. I'd also bet that in at least one year of the last five, that AB has produced the most merit finalists (per capita), and maybe more than once.

I don't know the statistics but generally the tops in Arkansas in per capita (and gross) Nat' Merit Semifinalists and in scholarship monies awarded have been Catholic, Central, and PA. The creme at Central High is as good as the creme at any school in the state but the bottom 1/3 is also as bad as any. The Nat'l Merit Finalists are harder to use to make a case as schools may have 4 one year and none the next, especially the smaller private schools.

I agree LR has a number of excellent private schools for a city its size. There are more well-known schools down here in Dallas, I guess, but I would just as well send my kids to LR public schools as elsewhere.

My observations are based on personal experiences with family members and friends. I've had a couple of cousins adn friends that went to the smaller more Christian-oriented schools you mentioned that had excellent grades but flopped the ACT and struggled in college. That happens at PA and Catholic but not nearly as often. Also, it's easy enough just to look at where the kids attend college. If you go to a couple of graduations and get the lists as I have had to you would notice some differences.

Again, I don't think you could go wrong with the three schools you mentioned and I'm sure your kids are receiving an excellent education at P.A.

• 4 weeks later...

Was this the same study that I heard at least one NWA town complain that it was inaccurate?

I faintly recall hearing about that, but Education in NWA is a touchy subject. Governor Mike Huckabee was astonished when he was criticized for his unacceptible education reforms in Arkansas. Huckabee thought Arkansas was doing a great job but critics disagree.

I faintly recall hearing about that, but Education in NWA is a touchy subject. Governor Mike Huckabee was astonished when he was criticized for his unacceptible education reforms in Arkansas. Huckabee thought Arkansas was doing a great job but critics disagree.

The sad part is even if you made improvements you'd still have something to complain about. It would take quite a while to really put it where it probably should be, especially on a statewide basis.

The sad part is even if you made improvements you'd still have something to complain about. It would take quite a while to really put it where it probably should be, especially on a statewide basis.

I sometimes take it for granted that NWA seems to get the better end of the stick than the state as far as education is concerned. Although, a high school in Little Rock is among the top 1000 school's in the US along with Fayetteville and Bentonville. Unfortunately what affects Arkansas also affects NWA as far as Federal funding is concerned. The state needs the money for areas that are less fortunate than NWA and Little Rock, but NWA needs the funding to support all the growth here which in turn helps the state.

Back on Colleges, has anyone noticed that NWACC (Northwest Arkansas Communtiy College) has been growing pretty substantual lately?

I think numbers are around 6,500 for the college, and I'm wondering if the college will ever convert to a 4 year college. They could change the college to the University of Northwest Arkansas and a nice college could start forming.

Could anyone see NWACC reaching 12,000+ in enrollment in the future?

Back on Colleges, has anyone noticed that NWACC (Northwest Arkansas Communtiy College) has been growing pretty substantual lately?

I think numbers are around 6,500 for the college, and I'm wondering if the college will ever convert to a 4 year college. They could change the college to the University of Northwest Arkansas and a nice college could start forming.

Could anyone see NWACC reaching 12,000+ in enrollment in the future?

Yeah I've heard for quite a while that it's been doing pretty good. Didn't I hear something about them building another campus over by Gravette possibly?

Yeah I've heard for quite a while that it's been doing pretty good. Didn't I hear something about them building another campus over by Gravette possibly?

Can't say I heard about that.

I do know that a recent expansion on the current campus should start sometime this year. The 3 or 4 story parking garage is under construction along with a new student center. I'd really like to see this one be developed into a 4 year college, but traffic along 102 is already a nightmare, I'm not sure what could be done.

Can't say I heard about that.

I do know that a recent expansion on the current campus should start sometime this year. The 3 or 4 story parking garage is under construction along with a new student center. I'd really like to see this one be developed into a 4 year college, but traffic along 102 is already a nightmare, I'm not sure what could be done.

I know I heard someone was looking into a possible Gravette location. Can't think who else it would be but them.

I know I heard someone was looking into a possible Gravette location. Can't think who else it would be but them.

University of Phoenix is building a location off Horsebarn Rd in Rogers.

I know NWACC also merged with the Arkansas Aviation School in Fayetteville.

I wonder if it's a tech college or a 2 year Community College?

University of Phoenix is building a location off Horsebarn Rd in Rogers.

I know NWACC also merged with the Arkansas Aviation School in Fayetteville.

I wonder if it's a tech college or a 2 year Community College?

I don't remember hearing a lot of details but like I said I was pretty sure it was linked to NWACC.

• 2 months later...

Got some news on this older topic. Looks like a future Catholic high school is making some progress. The diocese sold off 45 acres of the 100 acres of land they own in Lowell to help pay for the rest of the 55 acres. The decision to build could come within the next year or so.

A good Times article about the University of Arkansas' survey on Arkansas Schools. The University shows the Springdale school district should be among the best in the state but standardized tests rank Springdale at 73rd in the state.

University of Arkansas Education Survey

All of those findings are a bit surprising, aren't they? I consider all 4 major NWA high schools to be very good, but not excellent, overall. Perhaps Springdale's hispanic students are hurting them on standardized tests as many are not up to par in English and it is their second language. That doesn't explain Fayetteville, though, which I always thought of as a top school. Ft Smith was surprising as well and while Northside is mediocre I think Southside is probably the best top to bottom public high school in the state.

I saw further down where the Catholic HS saga is ongoing. I think the niche is definitely there in NWA for a top college prep school. That's the really glaring thing that's missing in NWA right now.

Archived