Higher Education Construction Projects in NWA

mcheiss

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like NWACC is one step closer to a Culinary Program. The board of trustees approved the plan last night, which now must go before the state. If approved, the program would be offered through the Regional Technology Center in Fayetteville with the possibility of facilities being available for skill development at the Jones Center for Families in Springdale. The program would require the college to add six courses: food production I and II; culinary arts I and II; food science and nutrition; and baking.

It looks like NWACC is one step closer to a Culinary Program. The board of trustees approved the plan last night, which now must go before the state. If approved, the program would be offered through the Regional Technology Center in Fayetteville with the possibility of facilities being available for skill development at the Jones Center for Families in Springdale. The program would require the college to add six courses: food production I and II; culinary arts I and II; food science and nutrition; and baking.

Yesterday in a community meeting was the first time I heard about a culinary program somewhere in NWA but no location or other info was mentioned and I didn't have a chance to ask questions at that meeting. Tell me more!! Where can I learn more about this? Does NWACC have any info on it yet?

Yesterday in a community meeting was the first time I heard about a culinary program somewhere in NWA but no location or other info was mentioned and I didn't have a chance to ask questions at that meeting. Tell me more!! Where can I learn more about this? Does NWACC have any info on it yet?

This is all the info I have right now. If you want to learn more, my guess would be to e-mail a dean at NWACC about it. I'm sure we'll here more once it gets approval from the state.

Interesting news. I wonder if this could have any effect on the restaurant scene in the area.

It's kind of humorous because a week ago people were wondering where any cooking supply stores were and I don't think anyone ever found any. It might be a good idea to have at least a couple since students may depend on them. The only one I actually know of was in the Steele shopping center across from Wal-Mart. There was some kind of birding and nature store next to them. That was several years ago.

Well there's Bed Bath and Beyond along with Linens N Things. They both offer some pretty nice kitchen supplies. I would like to see a Mikasa in the Promenade outparcels, but I doubt it will happen, just like a Sur-La-Table. Williams-Sonoma is a good kitchen store that has potential to come to the market.

Well there's Bed Bath and Beyond along with Linens N Things. They both offer some pretty nice kitchen supplies. I would like to see a Mikasa in the Promenade outparcels, but I doubt it will happen, just like a Sur-La-Table. Williams-Sonoma is a good kitchen store that has potential to come to the market.

First of all... correction: the store I was referring to was in the Spring Creek Centre across from the Wal-Mart. I always get them confused with Steele Crossing.

Secondly, the cooking store I was referring to sold $500 saucepans and $100 spatulas. They were geared toward the professional gourmet chef, whereas BB&B and Linens-N-Things is more for the "at home" gourmet chef (wannabe). Williams-Sonoma would be an ideal store for Fayetteville and I'd imagine it will be coming to "Steele Crossing" in the next few years.

It's kind of humorous because a week ago people were wondering where any cooking supply stores were and I don't think anyone ever found any. It might be a good idea to have at least a couple since students may depend on them. The only one I actually know of was in the Steele shopping center across from Wal-Mart. There was some kind of birding and nature store next to them. That was several years ago.

Yeah that was me. I was wanting to do some early Christmas shopping. Although I also enjoy to cook and wouldn't mind having some sort of kitchen outlet store somewhere in the area. There used to be one a long time ago in Springdale.

While I wouldn't be opposed to having some of those stores I still wish we could have something that specialized in it.

Secondly, the cooking store I was referring to sold $500 saucepans and $100 spatulas. They were geared toward the professional gourmet chef, whereas BB&B and Linens-N-Things is more for the "at home" gourmet chef (wannabe). Williams-Sonoma would be an ideal store for Fayetteville and I'd imagine it will be coming to "Steele Crossing" in the next few years.

$100 spatulas? What's it made out of..Gold? That quite pricy for NWA, in fact it almost shocks me. That how expensive things are at Sur-La-Table.

Also, Williams-Sonoma would work better at Nelson's Crossing. The whole development is in an upscale atmosphere.

$100 spatulas? What's it made out of..Gold? That quite pricy for NWA, in fact it almost shocks me. That how expensive things are at Sur-La-Table.

Also, Williams-Sonoma would work better at Nelson's Crossing. The whole development is in an upscale atmosphere.

I was pretty shocked myself, but evidentally everything had a lifetime warranty so you'd never need another spatula again. I remember nearly dropping the little saucepan I picked with a $500 pricetag. The stuff was of the highest quality possible. I'm not sure if they're still there, but I'm thinking not likely.

I've been trying not to comment and help make this go even more offtopic but....I'd still really like to see someplace that specializes only in kitchen supplies. I'm not too picky about any location. If it was here in Fayetteville it would certainly make it easier to check it out. But I'd also check it out if it was in Benton County as well.

Until Williams-Sonoma gets here just go buy the "real" thing. ARECO at 337 S School in Fayetteville. It's not fancy inside but it's open to the public and reasonably priced. The fry pans used in restaurants are built for lots of good use, not to look pretty. And once you've used one you can

Until Williams-Sonoma gets here just go buy the "real" thing. ARECO at 337 S School in Fayetteville. It's not fancy inside but it's open to the public and reasonably priced. The fry pans used in restaurants are built for lots of good use, not to look pretty. And once you've used one you can

• 1 month later...

Nice shots. That student center looks amazing. I really like how they used that glass. I can't see NWACC ever becoming a U of A. U of A has well over 300 acres of buildings not to mention Dorms, Sporting Venues, Agricultural Testing Center, etc. NWACC has only about 100 acres for expansion. NWACC will continue to become a regional college in the future, specializing in fields such as Nursing, Business Administration, etc. The current plan for NWACC is to add a few more 5 floor classrooms, two more parking garages, an amphiteatre, and an outdoor conservatory within the next 20 years.

Archived