'04 Auto Show has Second Best Turnout Ever

Allan

'04 AUTO SHOW HOT: 808,833 brave cold, pack Cobo Center

January 20, 2004

Neither snow, nor cold, nor dark of night kept near-record crowds from going to the 2004 North American International Auto Show, which closed Monday night at Cobo Center in Detroit.

Well, maybe the snow hurt a little.

Last week's winter storm depressed turnout Wednesday and Thursday, but attendance finished at 808,833, second best to the record 810,699 set in 2003, cochairman Chuck Fortinberry said.

"The snow set us back a little, but we recovered strong," he said.

Fortinberry credited an improving economy and the 79 new vehicles introduced for drawing large crowds.

Local auto dealerships reported mixed results. Glassman Automotive Group in Southfield was "swamped" with business Monday, general manager Mike Parziale said, while Troy's Suburban Oldsmobile Cadillac Buick Hummer dealership hadn't seen any increase yet, a spokesman said.

By Free Press business writers Mark Phelan and Sarah Webster

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I gotta get up to Detriot to check out the auto show one year. Plus a lot of the companies have been releasing some exiciting new cars, definitely worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

The auto show is really cool. Even if you aren't into cars it's worth going to. The whole atmosphere is really fun.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I especially like the auto shows that feature the older classic cars. I would have stopped in to the one in my city, Omaha, this last weekend, but the 13 inches of snow we received (BTW the most snow for Omaha since 1987) kinda put a damper on that plan. Oh well, I'll be sure to get to the classic cars auto show that will be held in April. Anyway, great news for Detroit!

J P

There's lots of classic car shows that are held during the summer. I enjoy going to those too, even though I don't really care about cars. LOL.

I never did make it down to the auto show this year. I wasn't feeling well, and I didn't really want to walk around downtown in such cold weather. Oh well....there's always next year. Next year I'll be living much closer to it, so I know I'll be able to go. And as an added bonus, you all will get bombarded with pics of Detroit!

Archived