Columbia's progress in the past 10 years

krazeeboi

How would you rate Columbia's progress this last decade?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Make your selection

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor
    • What "progress"?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. The city reversed it decreasing population trend and actually made it back over the 100k mark, while the metro continues to expand encroaching outside of it's dual county core for the first. Also the urban renewal/downtown revival was fun to watch. The tallest office building to be constructed in the state in sometime rose on in the CBD and Vista completed it's transformation into a more ritzy district. Also, the fact that the city is making itself into a destination with the Colonial Center, Convention Center, 3 Rivers Music festival, addition of more high-end hotels, etc. is enough for applause. It's about time an inland SC city stole some of the coast's thunder.

I have to say I am quite proud of Columbia's progress of the past ten years. I remember when the vista was an old abandoned warehouse blythe. Within ten years the city has been acknowledge several times over for its economic pressence, quality of life, entrepeneurship, business climate, creativeness, & urban renessiance. I remember a time when Columbia wouldn't have even been considered on any "who's who" list and now it usually makes the cut. The great thing about Columbia is that the city is entirly in the drivers seat. What is happening there now is only the very begining of more great things to come. I think in the next ten years several people will may or may not be very surprised with what the area has and will become!

Basically my vote was good, not excellent yet because there is so much more that will happen. But the area has taken several very positive steps in a relatively short time!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading Wikapedia on Charleston and whoever wrote the Charleston article said the US Census Bureau said Charleston had 110,000+ people as of the 2005 census. Does anyone know how where the writer would have gotten this info? Where can I find Columbia proper's 2005 population as estimated by the Census Bureau?

I posted Columbia's city population estimate on the SC population thread. It is estimated at 121,000 for 2005 and 2010 projection of 126,000 per census.

Where is thet SC population thread and where did you find the 2005 Census Bureau estimates of cities' populations?

• 2 years later...

Wow I had no idea that Sidney Park used to look like that. No wonder it had a bad reputation!

I've also never heard of the South Columbia Development Corporation. Its good to know that they exist. The video said that they merged with the CDC, but given their separate websites, I'm not seeing where that is the case. Does anyone know if this is true?

It's funny...but I've lived in Columbia all of my life, and I can't really remember when the vista was just rundown warehouses. I was 17 in 1983 when the term "Congaree Vista" first became popular...so you'd think I'd have SOME recollection.

I can remember when the only 3 places I ever went in the Vista was the Candy warehouse on Lincoln Street (Mike & Ikes, yes!), the old Amtrak Station (currently Blue Marlin) and Whit-Ash on Gervais. Speaking of Whit-Ash, they need to renovate something awful. I'd like to see some more stylish furniture stores open in the Vista, too, like the Bohemian Home Store or (wishful thinking), Ligne Roset.

^LOL, pretty much.

I only wish the city was just as dedicated to sustaining Main Street (which was relatively healthy when plans were underway to revitalize the Vista) when it turned its attention to the Vista. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.

I think what happened was that they were concentrating on fixing blighted areas (Vista and Sidney Park)and lost track of stores slowly closing on Main Street. It changed slowly enough so that no one really noticed until it started getting really bad. In their defense, I don't think Main Street ever got as bad as the Vista was back in the day. not by a long shot.

Archived