PROPOSED: Hotel Sierra (aka Sierra Suites)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no story on this? NEWS OR PAPER?

Not that I've seen yet. Seems to be an 'extended stay' hotel, which Providence actually needs. The GTECH hotel behind Union Station was to be an extended stay hotel, and one of the Fogarty proposals was for an extended stay hotel.

Looks pretty crappy to me. Up to now Providence's wave of development has been so positive but it was probably inevitable that we'd start to see a downside. It will be interesting to see if the Preservation Society gets involved in this one.

It's not like with 110 Westminster where an older building was torn down to be replaced by something better.

Looking at the render I'm wondering if the Mercantile Block bldg (where Cogens Printing is) is going to be demolished. The render is pretty crude so I can't tell if the bldg on the right is that structure or the Dreyfus Hotel. I don't like the project based on the rendering but it's less terrible if the Mercantile Block is spared.

It seems that the hotel is going to abut the parking garage on Washington which must mean that the city is going to lose a street. ALso I wonder how far back the project goes. I'm wondering if it will front Fountain St, taking out the old McDonalds and the Civic View Inn.

Looking at the render I'm wondering if the Mercantile Block bldg (where Cogens Printing is) is going to be demolished. The render is pretty crude so I can't tell if the bldg on the right is that structure of the Dreyfus Hotel. I don't like the project based on the rendering but it's less terrible if the Mercantile Block is spared.

It seems that the hotel is going to abut the parking garage on Washington which must mean that the city is going to lose a stretch of Matthewson St. ALso I wonder how far back the project goes. I'm wondering if it will front Fountain St, taking out the old McDonalds and the Civic View Inn.

I'm wondering too if Cogens is going. I can't tell if they tear down Cogens and build something of similar size, or if that is just a place holder in the rendering. Dreyfus Hotel isn't going anywhere, that's for sure.

Yes, it looks like it's abutting the garage, that's Beverly Street though, Matthewson runs beside the Dreyfus. I would have liked to have seen Beverly reborn with the removal of the Fogarty Building (it lines up with the road running under the convention center), but with TPG intent on rehabbing, not destroying the Fogarty, that seems unlikely. I still don't like the idea of giving up that street though. You should be able to cross the block there.

It looks to me like it does reach all the way back to Fountain and the McDonalds and Sportsman's Inn go. The McDonald's I don't care about, I'd rip it out to improve Beverly if I had my way, but the Sportsman's Inn is actually a nice building.

There's plenty of room on that site to build a more slender building set back from the street and not tear down anything except for the McDonald's. I'd like to hope that planning can block this somehow.

It looks like a hotel you would see when driving on any highway, very unimpressive. I wish I could remember the names of any of the ones it is making me think of so I could post links. I know of at least 2 similar to this off of I-495 in MA, and several in VA and Jersey off I-95.

Did you look at the vehicles in the rendering? Where are the Aston Martins? :P

I would really like to see exactly where they are planning to put this and what they are planning to tear down. I would hate to see much existing architecture lost to this project.

I do like the idea of an extended stay hotel in pvd though.

I just heard about this last night!

Wow, quick work here...

The design is hideous, and not just because of the Atari-rendering. Just all-around bad. The Cotuit design is miles better!

But really, who spends time and money on this crap? Oh yeah, I forgot. Some people still see the almighty dollar as the driver...anyway, (from the other thread) here is your example of BAD dryvit.

That design is hideous and will never ever make it past the drawing board. You can not destroy a whole block of historically significant buildings to build a monstrosity like that. What is the deal with wanting to destroy all the row blocks downtown? First, the Palmer Block ?( Downcity Liquors building ) and now this? What about the Public Safety Complex site? Both of those blocks have been occupied by much needed neighborhood establishments that Downtown needs to survive. Do we want Downcity to look like Downtown Stamford? :angry:

I agree with everyone here. I was skocked when I found out about this yesterday from Shawn at AS220... I am really surprised no one on this board knew about it sooner. I don't know how far along these plans are, but maybe since no one has heard of it before, this is one of those projects that never went further than the render. I know the owner of Cuban Revolution has been looking for a SECOND location, so i dont think he knows about the imminence of his current restaurant. All very disturbing.

Based on Cotuit's assumptions about location, I would say the Cogens Printing / Mercantile Block is staying, but Cuban and Japan is gone... The render goes way back, so maybe it uses the space in that parkign lot like Cotuits higher drawing does.

I'd like to hear from someone who knows better what is going on, so i am going to email this thread to some people and see what comes back.

You should all know that the City Council did something very important on Wednesday that will help the cause. The Downcity District Design Review Board was to "sunset" effective December 31. The Council called a special session and removed the sunset clause, leaving the Downcity Design Review in place.

Why is this important? Look at what is on the agenda of the (still functioning) Providence Downcity District Design Review Board hearing on January 09, 2006 at 04:30 PM....

132-134 Fountain Street - Commercial Buildings (Public Hearing)

Proposal to demolish two existing commercial buildings and to

construct a new 11- story hotel building with a parking facility. The

applicant is requesting approval of the proposed demolition and

Waivers of DRC Regulations for building setback and frontage

related to the new construction.

This will be held in the 4th floor conference room of the Planing Deparment, 400 Westminster Street.

The Review Board provides what will be the only opportunity for public coment. If you hate the proposed design, then make it a point to show up and speak up.

Just got this from Thom Deller:

"I don't know what rendering you have seen but an application has been filed to demolish the former Macdonalds and the building where Cuban and New Japan are located to develop the hotel. No plans to demolish the Cogen Building. There is a lenghty process that must be followed to obtain approval to demolish the buildings part of the process is design approval of the new building. The developers have been informed that if the architecture isn't good that the chance of approval are slim. As far as viability, the project has its funding, so I suspect that the project will move forward through the process."

Thanks for the info, Thom. If there is a public hearing I will be sure to show up.

Archived