100 North Main Sign Comes Down

cdarr

There was a picture on the front page of Wednesday's Commercial Appeal showing workers dismantling the UP Bank sign from the top of the 100 North Main Building. The red neon sign has been at the top of the building, Memphis' tallest, since its construction in 1965. Union Planters Bank was acquired by Regions earlier in the year, so the sign is obsolete.

I was downtown Monday for a Grizzlies game and it was still lit up. The next day, they started dismantling it and Wednesday night a whole panel was missing. No word in the article about what kind of sign (if any) will replace it. I wonder if only the circular restaurant will be left? I assume that would reduce the high of the building.

Interesting thing about that UP Bank sign...the same year 100 North Main was built, White Station Tower was also built in East Memphis with a very similar U-P Bank sign. That was replaced a few years ago by a Independent Bank sign.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they can re-light the towers crown with a signof some sorts. That was a beacon to many, including myself from the Arkansas side of the river.

Well, I imagine there will be a "hat" left on top of the restaurant. There are a number of antennas which have to be mounted to something. What would be really cool is some kind of illuminated mast, similar to what you see on top of Sears Tower or John Hancock Center in Chicago.

100 N.M. is a pretty bland building, but there are things they could do to make it more interesting...at least at night. I've heard people say Clark Tower (designed by the same architect) is unattractive. But bathed in light and topped with that big U.S. flag, I think it's the most impressive site in town after dark.

It is an end of an era so to speak, but I have to admit, Union Planters building was one of my least favorite buildings and my least favorite building sign in town. They should have had their blue, green, and white logo up there. I hope they replace it with something that has a Memphis vibe to it, unlike that perky happy sunburst crap on top of One Commerce Square. NBC may have been simple, but I always thought it had a sleek, cool look to it perched up there--a definite Memphis feel. This Suntrust logo is completely out of place, especially on that building. The Regions logo would be more fitting for Memphis and the tower should they decide to put it on 100 North Main.

It is an end of an era so to speak, but I have to admit, Union Planters building was one of my least favorite buildings and my least favorite building sign in town. They should have had their blue, green, and white logo up there. I hope they replace it with something that has a Memphis vibe to it, unlike that perky happy sunburst crap on top of One Commerce Square. NBC may have been simple, but I always thought it had a sleek, cool look to it perched up there--a definite Memphis feel. This Suntrust logo is completely out of place, especially on that building. The Regions logo would be more fitting for Memphis and the tower should they decide to put it on 100 North Main.

I'll miss the UP sign in a nostalgic sort of way, but then again I've always wanted to see them replace it...if that makes any sense. I agree with you about the Suntrust thing...it just doesn't work on that concrete tower. Sadly, they had just put a bright new NBC sign up there less than a year before the merger and it looked great.

The best skyscraper tops in Memphis seem to be out east...the red I-Bank sign on White Station Tower, the Hilton, and the Clark Tower flag. I guess Morgan Keegan is the best one downtown.

Any webcams out there that show the sign at night, or lack of it???

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/Link.asp?L=8706

its from a distance though. im gonna miss the UP sign DT. the red light always stood out in the dark sky n red is my fav color so thats prob y lol. i remember the old UP sign in white station or "up building" as I use to call it. it was actually one of the first things i could read

i remember the old UP sign in white station or "up building" as I use to call it. it was actually one of the first things i could read

Clark and White Station Towers are some of my very earliest memories too, dating back to age 3 or 4. I grew up, and now live in, a neighborhood just a mile or two away.

Used to be a revolving restaurant called the Pyrenees right under that W.S. Tower sign. I think they converted it to offices in the late 80s or early 90s. Funny how 100 N.M and W.S. Tower were built in the same year, both with revolving restaurants and UP Bank signs, even though they were not designed by the same architects nor built by the same developers.

Heres another webcam from closer up....

http://www.fox13whbq.com/weather_index.html

I've always liked Clark tower. It seems much taller than it really is. You can see the east Memphis skyline from Shelby Farms, and even as far away as where Tchulahoma turns into Amercian Way out by the airport. a few years ago I was helping some people move into an apartment building by the main library and from one window you cound see east Memphis, and from the other, part of downtown. what a view :wub:

I have always rather liked the Clark Tower too--not the greatest building, but not near as bad as some people consider it. It is always odd seeing the tower from east of it in Germantown and Cordova, especially now coming up on the flyover at the 40-240 junction. I always think, "Hey, who put that skyscraper there?". I've been with several out-of-towners who will see it in the distance and ask if that's downtown Memphis. Always gives me a good laugh.

I always think, "Hey, who put that skyscraper there?". I've been with several out-of-towners who will see it in the distance and ask if that's downtown Memphis. Always gives me a good laugh.

Yes, it is unusual for a city the size of Memphis to have a 400' skyscraper 10 miles outside of downtown. Most people don't realize that in the original plan called for twin towers...an identical Clark Tower was intended to be constructed on the north end of the existing parking garage. I don't know why it was never constructed - perhaps due to competition from the Ridgeway Center development that began around 1975, or just because demand for Class A space in Memphis never grew as fast as anticipated.

I like having 2 skylines but I wish there was some more tall buildings in the area but then traffic would be even worse along Poplar. It is the real "business district" of Memphis because its more central to the metro area unlike downtown which is way off to the west. Its kinda our little version of Canary Wharf only with 5 high rises hahaha

I like having 2 skylines but I wish there was some more tall buildings in the area but then traffic would be even worse along Poplar. It is the real "business district" of Memphis because its more central to the metro area unlike downtown which is way off to the west. Its kinda our little version of Canary Wharf only with 5 high rises hahaha

Having Clark Tower sticking up out of East Memphis reminds me of the Oakbrook Terrace Tower outside of Chicago. There are a many shorter highrises in Chicago's western suburbs, but nothing close to that building's 400 feet.

Maybe that would be an interesting thread sometime...best suburban skylines. Few people would give Memphis a vote for best downtown skyline, but we do have one of the best (or at least tallest) collection of suburban highrises with Clark, White Station and Hilton all in the 300-400 ft range. Throw in the 10-16 story buildings like St. Francis Hospital, Crescent Center, International Paper and others, and it makes for a pretty impressive panorama when viewed from the north side of Shelby Farms.

Having Clark Tower sticking up out of East Memphis reminds me of the Oakbrook Terrace Tower outside of Chicago. There are a many shorter highrises in Chicago's western suburbs, but nothing close to that building's 400 feet.

Maybe that would be an interesting thread sometime...best suburban skylines. Few people would give Memphis a vote for best downtown skyline, but we do have one of the best (or at least tallest) collection of suburban highrises with Clark, White Station and Hilton all in the 300-400 ft range. Throw in the 10-16 story buildings like St. Francis Hospital, Crescent Center, International Paper and others, and it makes for a pretty impressive panorama when viewed from the north side of Shelby Farms.

I wish we had a Lexy in Memphis but sadly it doesn't seem that any of our memphis forumers have a camera and/or the time to give us a photo tour of the city as constantly as nashville forumers do.

I wish we had a Lexy in Memphis but sadly it doesn't seem that any of our memphis forumers have a camera and/or the time to give us a photo tour of the city as constantly as nashville forumers do.

Hmmm...maybe that should be me. I am downtown at least once per week for Griz/Tigers games. I'll have to start taking my camera.

Hmmm...maybe that should be me. I am downtown at least once per week for Griz/Tigers games. I'll have to start taking my camera.

yes please do. we certainly could use more memphis repersentation on this board. we need to show tennesseans that memphis isn't some sort of run down ghetto. one guy i met while living in nashville actually told me and a group of people that "Memphis is a city of Jefferson Avenues" <_<:rolleyes: lol

Here's a picture of the sign coming down taken 12/29/2005.

100NMain.jpg

Interesting there wasn't nearly as much fuss about the old NBC sign coming down...

SunTrust21.jpg

I can provide some downtown pix (schedule permitting) as I live downtown and have a new digital camera I am trying to master.

I really look forward to seeing more Memphis pics from you! Those pics looked to be of great quality.

I for one was not particular happy to see the old NBC logo come down, it just fit Memphis and that building so well. I suppose the UP though was such an iconic image associated with Memphis is stirred a feeling of nostalgia in more folks than the lower profile NBC logo.

Yeah jmduke, I'd love to see some pics. I only get down there about once a year for a few days and take a lot of pics in a hurry. Maybe you could show some of the SouthEnd developments. When I was down there in June, the City Commons and Rooftop condos were pretty well along, but most of the other developments were just scraps of land with bulldozers moving dirt around.

And Lord, you know how hot is in June to trudge around downtown on foot with a camera. :(

I think the UP sign was more significant because UP was a top 30 US bank, and because 100 North Main is the city's tallest.

Try n keep them 'em coming. I would love to see more downtown pixs in the future. :thumbsup:

I have about 30-40 picts of downtown memphis and cordova that i have taken so far during my christmas break. Im not going to post them till i get back on campus (purdue) and have the computing power to manage that many photos from a canon EOS rebel... ( im on my parents old computer, which is still gasoline powered :rofl: )

that should be around jan 8th-12th,2006 if you want to wait around that long

Archived