Tysons Corner

urbanvb

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how do you guys think having an aboveground Metro line as opposed to the tunnel will affect the attempts to urbanize Tysons?

hopefully it won't deter any of the efforts. The only real change is the train will be above ground versus underground. One possible issue may be the location for the tracks but seeing how suburban the area is hopefully they can allocate space for the tracks and a station without too much trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully it won't deter any of the efforts. The only real change is the train will be above ground versus underground. One possible issue may be the location for the tracks but seeing how suburban the area is hopefully they can allocate space for the tracks and a station without too much trouble.

I'm upset that they decided to put it above ground, an extra 200 million dollars is chump change for a tunnel that would create 30 x that much value in Tysons Corner. Being that the idea is to create an intense urban feature, aboveground trains takes that much more availabe space for cars, bikes, sidewalks. Every available inch of land is useful, when you want smart (genius) growth. I understand that money is an issue, but the tunnel is 4 mile out of a 23 mile project. Not to mention the fact that the business community would help to pay for this tunnel. I don't won't to beat a dead horse since the decision has been made :wacko: , but hopefully this tunnel thing is not over yet.

Now that doesn't make any sense. :blink: Why on earth is they building the Metro above ground that overcrowded area? They would be better off if they emulated MARTA in Atlanta and build it elevated like it is in Buckhead near Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. Tysons Corner is way too overcrowded for an at grade heavy rail line.

• 2 weeks later...

Tysons Corner task force announces principles for future development

A group of residents, business leaders and community activists has adopted a handful of principles to guide future development of Tysons Corner and reflect the planned construction of several Metro stations in the area.

story

Now that doesn't make any sense. :blink: Why on earth is they building the Metro above ground that overcrowded area? They would be better off if they emulated MARTA in Atlanta and build it elevated like it is in Buckhead near Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. Tysons Corner is way too overcrowded for an at grade heavy rail line.

It's not being built at grade.

When Is a Mall Not Just a Mall? When It's a Mini-City

Tysons Corner Center's Owner to Present Plans To Turn Shopping District Into Living District

Fairfax County's effort to turn Tysons Corner into a vibrant, walkable downtown might well center on the place where everything began more than three decades ago: the mall.

Next week, the owner of Tysons Corner Center, whose opening put Tysons on the map 35 years ago, will go before the county Planning Commission with plans to transform the shopping center into a mini-city. The plans entail surrounding the mall with apartments, offices and a hotel in towers as high as 350 feet, and interspersing the whole complex with broad plazas, an ice rink, sculptures, a rooftop bar and performance space -- even a biking and jogging trail.

PH2006092700871.jpg

Its owner wants to transform Tysons Corner Center into a mini-city, complete with a hotel, retail and residential space. An artist's rendering shows the proposal as seen from Route 123.

We really do need to start in a small area and do it right there and expand out. I think developing the core is a good idea, but it has to be done right and all out instead of some kind of hybrid. We really do need to start out with the basic walkable human scaled development with mixed use and a good amount of heighth instead of just doing the 5 story thing. I think it's a good plan, but obviously the other aspects like widening 123 don't help.

If only 20k people actually live in Tysons but 100k work there you could see a huge shift in things if they are able to pull if off as such. I do wonder how this could be constructed in such a way that it would be more pedesterian friendly especially since they are not using a grid pattern.

I agree, the area is just too sprawled commercially for that to happen. You've got the mall area, further west on rt. 7 and the development on the other side for 495 and it goes further north of the mall too, it's simply too sprawled to become one contingous core. But I agree that it'll be nodes if anything. I really do envision in the next 50 yrs, a Tysons streetcar or something connecting the nodes. There will most likely be the retail node with Tysons, and the business nodes around hopefully with residential dispersed around with metro getting people in and out of the area and some sort of rapid transit via bus lane or streetcar connecting the different parts. I think getting people living and working in Tysons and demanding a better quality of life and investing and making it happen will be huge. I think if Tysons is successful, which I have many doubts, there will have to be some sort of revolutionary technique used to do it. I really think combined techniques will be used, I think Rt. 7 needs a vertical express level as crazy as that may sound, the rush hour traffic is too much for urbanity to exist there with the current form of traffic there on the same level as pedestrians.

I agree, the area is just too sprawled commercially for that to happen. You've got the mall area, further west on rt. 7 and the development on the other side for 495 and it goes further north of the mall too, it's simply too sprawled to become one contingous core. But I agree that it'll be nodes if anything. I really do envision in the next 50 yrs, a Tysons streetcar or something connecting the nodes. There will most likely be the retail node with Tysons, and the business nodes around hopefully with residential dispersed around with metro getting people in and out of the area and some sort of rapid transit via bus lane or streetcar connecting the different parts. I think getting people living and working in Tysons and demanding a better quality of life and investing and making it happen will be huge. I think if Tysons is successful, which I have many doubts, there will have to be some sort of revolutionary technique used to do it. I really think combined techniques will be used, I think Rt. 7 needs a vertical express level as crazy as that may sound, the rush hour traffic is too much for urbanity to exist there with the current form of traffic there on the same level as pedestrians.

The only way I think to prevent the "balkanization" of Tysons into nodes is to radically change the major highways that lead in and out of the area. Make Rt. 7 and 23 similar to Rt. 7 that runs through Falls Church where stores front the highway and it is intersected by many cross walks. This portion of Rt. 7 is only 4 lanes wide and much more urban than the portions to the west. This would be a radical transformation for Rt. 7 and 123, but I think it is essential to remaking Tysons into the walkable seemless urban core. Otherwise the proposed Downtown Fairfax will look like a former suburban quandrant trying to look urban.

The only way I think to prevent the "balkanization" of Tysons into nodes is to radically change the major highways that lead in and out of the area. Make Rt. 7 and 23 similar to Rt. 7 that runs through Falls Church where stores front the highway and it is intersected by many cross walks. This portion of Rt. 7 is only 4 lanes wide and much more urban than the portions to the west. This would be a radical transformation for Rt. 7 and 123, but I think it is essential to remaking Tysons into the walkable seemless urban core. Otherwise the proposed Downtown Fairfax will look like a former suburban quandrant trying to look urban.

I completely agree, Rt. 7 in Tysons is a mess and impedes it's potential for urbanity, something at that juncture will have to happen and something pretty dramatic.

• 1 month later...

Vote for Tysons Corner Proposal May Upset Work on Master Plan

Fairfax County officials are considering approving a major expansion of the Tysons Corner Center mall even as the county is in the middle of a much-touted effort to draft a new master plan for future development of the area.

This month, a consulting firm on a $1 million taxpayer-funded contract will start working with a county task force to draw up a plan for Tysons's future. Meanwhile, though, county officials are on the verge of approving the mall expansion, which would reshape the heart of Tysons with a ring of towers including a hotel, offices and more than 1,000 apartments.

They were handing out flyers advertising this at the West Falls Church Metro yesterday.

I say sign the petition!

TysonsTunnel.org formed by McLean Chamber of Commerce and Community Leaders For Opening Bidding Process and Gaining Fair Consideration for Metrorail Tunnel under Tysons Corner.

Town Hall Meeting: November 15, 2006

Alden Theater at the McLean Community Center on Wednesday, Nov. 15, 7 p.m.

Archived