Two West Tennessee towns not having a very Merry Christmas

Rural King

The week before Christmas has led to bad news for 400 families in West Tennessee. Mohon International's plant in Paris, TN (which produced commercial funitiure), which was damaged badly by the tornadoes that hit West and Middle Tennessee last month, has announced that its facility in Paris will not reopen the entire plant but rather shall close the facility completely on February 17, leaving over 300 workers without a job, many who had worked there for years.

This followed yesterday's annnnouncement that Garner Automotive Electrical of Lexington (which produced fuel pumps) is closing its plants in Lexington and Whiteville plants and unemploying all of its 116 workers as of Dec. 30. Lexington's Mayor Jack Johnson cited the probable impact of competition do to free trade as the cause of the plant's closing.

WPSD Channel 6 NBC Affiliate Paducah, KY - Mohon Story-

http://www.wpsdtv.com/articles/stories/pub...local_news.html

Jackson Sun Article on Garner Automotive Electrical:

http://www.jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...317/1002/NEWS17

I just thought it might be fitting at this holiday season when we take things for granted or mull over how our year has been to remember just how lucky most of us really are, and not to forget those who fortune has not been as kind to this holiday season. I know I will be keeping these folks in my thoughts this Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring us a car plant with assorted regional support plants for Christmas to help out the towns faced with these mahor loses.....well we can always hope can't we? Hope is the best thing to the holidays IMO, hope that the future will be better than the past.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news for the workers of Mohon International!

I don't have any links because the Jackson Sun hasn't shown the story yet, but some local businessfolk, including some of the employees themselves, have bought out Mohon, and are rehiring all 300 workers back. The plant was to close Jan 28, but will reopen Jan. 30. :yahoo:

Good news for the workers of Mohon International!

I don't have any links because the Jackson Sun hasn't shown the story yet, but some local businessfolk, including some of the employees themselves, have bought out Mohon, and are rehiring all 300 workers back. The plant was to close Jan 28, but will reopen Jan. 30. :yahoo:

Awesome news!!!!!!!!!!!! I had heard that the workers and locals were trying to buy the company, but I had not heard that they were successful until I read your post!!

Good news for West Tennessee!!!!!!!!! Way to go Paris!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::w00t::yahoo:

Archived