The Memphis South End

memphismike

I don't know how many of you have been down to the new South End neighborhood, but I was there yesterday and I was amazed at how much development has taken place in the last month or so! With the new focus on retail (from today's CA) and all of the projects listed on www.southendmemphis.com, it's going to be the next hot place to be in Downtown Memphis.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how many of you have been down to the new South End neighborhood, but I was there yesterday and I was amazed at how much development has taken place in the last month or so! With the new focus on retail (from today's CA) and all of the projects listed on www.southendmemphis.com, it's going to be the next hot place to be in Downtown Memphis.

Im glad to see downtown is continuing to grow. Even without shiney new towers, Memphis' downtown is quickly becoming one of the best in the US. Do you have any pixs? its been a while since we've had a Memphis photo tour.

I got back yesterday from a 2 night trip to Memphis & Tunica.

A few comments :

* Tunica RiverCenter is really nice ! $25/night at Bally's sold me on

making the trip.

* Very nice Christmas trees at Peabody Hotel & Peabody Place.

* Pandas at Memphis Zoo are neat, even though they were asleep. I liked the neighborhood with the big houses approaching the zoo.

* Lots of good BBQ in Memphis (I tried Rendezvous & Neely's Interstate BBQ on this trip, plus

the Corky's buffet at Sam's Town in Tunica)

* Horrible traffic around Horn Lake-Olive Branch area.

* I was really surprised by the number of Bama folks I saw in Memphis. It was practically home-away-from-home. I had to remind myself I was in Tennessee.

I think I'm about ready to do an in person tour. It's been a couple of years since I've been to Memphis. Now seems like to good time to catch up.

Your more than welcome in Memphis Dave :D Please bring along your camera. I enjoy your photos of Nashville but you may want to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Memphis is extremely windy and cold and you may want to check out not only DT but all the way down Poplar to Collierville as well.

• 2 weeks later...

virginiaave0tf.jpg

I took this on Kentucky St. at Virginia St. looking north toward all the South End development north of Carolina. Lots of progress made, and as you can see in the foreground, there's much left to do.

floridaave0sd.jpg

Took this one on Florida Ave. headed north toward Carolina St. I hope with all this new development the stigma of streets in Memphis named after states goes away.

centralstation7ds.jpg

Here is another brownfield east of South Front St. on the SW side of Central Station that won't be brown for much longer...

Archived