96 Greenville - Spartanburg Intl Greer SC 675,498

97 Harrisburg Intl Harrisburg PA 650,340

98 Myrtle Beach Intl Myrtle Beach SC 650,106

99 Hilo Intl Hilo HI 630,498

100 Palm Springs Intl Palm Springs CA 627,231

Edited by SOCOM

Couple things caught my eye...

1- look at how high Manchester ranks, wtg ManchVegas. :thumbsup:

2- I was surprised how low Richmond, VA ranks. I've been to the city many times (never been to the airport) and it felt like a big medium sized city. I was thinking DC and Norfolk take away a lot of traffic, but we are in the same situation up here with Albany, Providence, Boston, and the NY airports all within 125 miles.

Edited by SOCOM

I was shocked to see how high alot of the northeast medium/small cities ranked, considering there are so many airports in such a small area. Albany, Manchester, Bradley, Providence, they all seemed a lot higher than I would expect. Then yet I know of quite a few people who hate Logan and won't fly domestically out of there at all.

How far do Manchester and Bradley fly? I know flights from Providence usually don't go farther west than Phoenix and Albany "international" flights are pretty limited.

I was shocked to see how high alot of the northeast medium/small cities ranked, considering there are so many airports in such a small area. Albany, Manchester, Bradley, Providence, they all seemed a lot higher than I would expect. Then yet I know of quite a few people who hate Logan and won't fly domestically out of there at all.

How far do Manchester and Bradley fly? I know flights from Providence usually don't go farther west than Phoenix and Albany "international" flights are pretty limited.

Hartford does have non-stop to L.A. and Montreal and Toronto are the only int'l destinations I know of.

Currently Delta flys to Los Angeles and Salt Lake City, while US Airways flys to Phoenix. Those are the longest non stop flights out of Hartford right now. Before 9/11 there were flights to San Francisco and Denver that never got reinstated after the economic fallout.

Back in the early 90's there was talk of KLM and Air Jamaica coming into BDL, but things never made it off the drawing board. Problem BDL has is the proximity to Logan and JFK/EWR. However as BDL's passenger numbers continue to rise and the greater need for international travel occurs, I could see BDL getting at least one flight to a major European hub.

There's a thread about Manchester Airport in the NNE section. They have been expanding, and they are planning on rail to Boston, though the state is rather recalcitrant about funding rail.

I thnk the reason Manchester is expanding faster is that their airport has a longer takeoff runway than Green's. Longer runways are crucial to an airport striving to expand; adding more destinations mean longer flights; longer flights mean requiring planes to carry more fuel, which increases the plane's weight on takeoff so a longer runway is needed. Bruce Sundlun has been championing the need to increase T.F. Green's runways for years now.

Of course, adding more destinations from an airport means more planes taking off, which means more airport noise. Warwick residents know this all too well!

I thnk the reason Manchester is expanding faster is that their airport has a longer takeoff runway than Green's. Longer runways are crucial to an airport striving to expand; adding more destinations mean longer flights; longer flights mean requiring planes to carry more fuel, which increases the plane's weight on takeoff so a longer runway is needed. Bruce Sundlun has been championing the need to increase T.F. Green's runways for years now.

Of course, adding more destinations from an airport means more planes taking off, which means more airport noise. Warwick residents know this all too well!

Their growth has not been affected by the length of the newly rebuilt and extended runway. Their longest flight is to LAS, one flight per day. PVD has service to PHX and will start new n/s service to LAS Nov 12th.

MHT's growth is based on the same reason PVD has grown. They are capturing pax that should have used their airport all these years instead of driving to BOS. Now that increased service has been provided to both airports, pax have chosen to stay closer to home. Until Southwest came in, airlines made a deliberate attempt to get northern New Englanders and Rhode Islanders to fly out of BOS. BDL never had that problem. BDL is far enough away from both BOS and NYC airports to have had more domestic service than PVD or MHT.

Scheduled international service will probably never go to any other New England airport other than BOS. BDL and PVD have always had chartered service to the Carribean and Mexico. About 10 years ago Leisure Air did chartered PVD-Bermuda service. Sata does n/s PVD-Azore service six months a year.

Mark

Bradley would already have European flights if it wasn't managed by the DOT. They are the keystone cops of avaition admisitration. If the airport gets out of DOT claws and into the hands of professionals, overseas flights will happen in a year. They may still happen will the DOT but they will screw it up.

Bradley would already have European flights if it wasn't managed by the DOT. They are the keystone cops of avaition admisitration. If the airport gets out of DOT claws and into the hands of professionals, overseas flights will happen in a year. They may still happen will the DOT but they will screw it up.

But is there a market for international lights from BDL to the rest of the world? With Logan & NY airports nearby, where is the demand? Bradley dosen't offer direct international flights to any city other than Toronto and Montreal. As far as TF Green is concerned, the only interntional demand can come from Portugual and the Carribean.

Edited by Frankie811

But is there a market for international lights from BDL to the rest of the world? With Logan & NY airports nearby, where is the demand? Bradley dosen't offer direct international flights to any city other than Toronto and Montreal. As far as TF Green is concerned, the only interntional demand can come from Portugual and the Carribean.

There is definitely a demand for International service for the Hartford/Springfield corridor. A few years back a businessman from the area did extensive research and found that there was enough demand for a daily trip to London aboard a 757. He was going to start an airline, which would have had flights going to London Stansted, but he never established the capital needed to get the airline off the ground. :( There's plenty of International demand, but like beerbeer said, the DOT doesn't give two craps either way....unless they were to suddenly get an offer that would pay them substancially....they basically are the airport nazis in CT.

Problem BDL has is the proximity to Logan and JFK/EWR. However as BDL's passenger numbers continue to rise and the greater need for international travel occurs, I could see BDL getting at least one flight to a major European hub.

See, this is exactly the reason why there should be international (European) flights from Bradley. Think of the number of people who live closer to Bradley (in terms of travel time)! It's easier to drive from Worcester, Springfield, New Haven, Fairfield County, etc. than Boston or New York. Yes?

Nothing truer has ever been spoken! It's got to DOT b/c it makes no sense. See post above...

Ct. DOT has little to do with it. There are international charters fom BDL. Scheduled international service, not including Canada, needs to be approved by both countries. New gateway cities are hard to come by. That is why the Providence-Bermuda service was discontinued. It was scheduled service, but Bermuda wanted to limit the number of U.S. gateway cities. Providence was thus discontinued in favor of the larger airports. A few years back Delta had a Bradley-JFK-Charles De Gaulle(Paris) flight. It lasted 5 months and only averaged 45 pax per flight on a 747. A DC-10 use to go BDL-BOS-LAX-Tokyo years ago on a daily basis. DL also did BDL-BOS-Bermuda for a number of years with a L1011.

The Hartford metro and Providence metro could both handle n/s European scheduled service, but unless there is an upstart airline, non of the majors will water down their existing service in the major markets. One stop scheduled service is likely the only type of service we will receive for a while.

Mark

Ct. DOT has little to do with it. There are international charters fom BDL. Scheduled international service, not including Canada, needs to be approved by both countries. New gateway cities are hard to come by. That is why the Providence-Bermuda service was discontinued. It was scheduled service, but Bermuda wanted to limit the number of U.S. gateway cities. Providence was thus discontinued in favor of the larger airports. A few years back Delta had a Bradley-JFK-Charles De Gaulle(Paris) flight. It lasted 5 months and only averaged 45 pax per flight on a 747. A DC-10 use to go BDL-BOS-LAX-Tokyo years ago on a daily basis. DL also did BDL-BOS-Bermuda for a number of years with a L1011.

The Hartford metro and Providence metro could both handle n/s European scheduled service, but unless there is an upstart airline, non of the majors will water down their existing service in the major markets. One stop scheduled service is likely the only type of service we will receive for a while.

Mark

It actually may be in the works in 2006 in Hartford. Our airport is experiencing tremendous growth and is definately growing faster than the vast majority of US Airports. Here's and article from the current Hartford Business Journal outlining the prospects for a couple of true international flights.

International routes on flight plan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Diane Weaver Dunne

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State officials are close to inking a deal that would bring true international passenger service to Bradley International Airport beginning in 2006.

Currently, international service at Bradley is primarily limited to private charters, freight or cargo service, Canada, Aruba, Bermuda and some Caribbean islands.

That will change soon if transportation officials have their way.

HBJ Frontpage

Bradley Story

BradleyPassengerList.jpg

BradleyDestinationsList.jpg

Edited by HartfordTycoon

Any moron could put together a Bradley/ or Amstedam flight. The DOT is just waiting on a kickback. It's disgusting.

BDL finished 49th in enplanements last year, and its traffic is comparable to places like San Antonio, Milwaukee, and Austin. At best, it could support 3 757s a week to one of the London airports. Virtually all intercon flights land at airports with more than twice as many enplanements as BDL.

As a CT native, I'm glad to see the airport's doing better than it was in the 90s, but let's get real.

BDL finished 49th in enplanements last year, and its traffic is comparable to places like San Antonio, Milwaukee, and Austin. At best, it could support 3 757s a week to one of the London airports. Virtually all intercon flights land at airports with more than twice as many enplanements as BDL.

As a CT native, I'm glad to see the airport's doing better than it was in the 90s, but let's get real.

:rofl:

There will always be naysayers but I am optimistic about the prospects of international service out of Hartford. As you can see in the article I linked passenger traffic is currently more than 5.5 Million and that is only from Jan to Sep. Our growth rate far outpaced all other Northeastern Airports, so I guess we will just have to wait and see what growth we experience in the future at Bradley combined with what growth we experience in Greater Hartford and Connecticut to determine how viable overseas flights will be in the region's future.

There will always be naysayers but I am optimistic about the prospects of international service out of Hartford. As you can see in the article I linked passenger traffic is currently more than 5.5 Million and that is only from Jan to Sep. Our growth rate far outpaced all other Northeastern Airports, so I guess we will just have to wait and see what growth we experience in the future at Bradley combined with what growth we experience in Greater Hartford and Connecticut to determine how viable overseas flights will be in the region's future.

Another city with similar enplanements, RDU, has supported a non-stop to London for over 10 years.

Yes, let's get real. For how many people is it easier to get to BDL than BOS or JFK or EWR? That's the real story.