Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Another city with similar enplanements, RDU, has supported a non-stop to London for over 10 years.

Yes, let's get real. For how many people is it easier to get to BDL than BOS or JFK or EWR? That's the real story.

RDU has the luxury of being an American hub. American mainline and now Eagle service it with feeder flights. This helps support the n/s London flights.

Mark

See, this is exactly the reason why there should be international (European) flights from Bradley. Think of the number of people who live closer to Bradley (in terms of travel time)! It's easier to drive from Worcester, Springfield, New Haven, Fairfield County, etc. than Boston or New York. Yes?

Exactly right. Bradley is infinitely easier to get to and in and out of than any of the major airports in NYC and Boston. Even travelers from Fairfield County would rather use Bradley than JFK, LaGuardia or Newark.

RDU has the luxury of being an American hub. American mainline and now Eagle service it with feeder flights. This helps support the n/s London flights.

Mark

RDU stopped being an American hub (along with Nashville, TN) back in 1999. Their London flight is supported, in part, by the huge number of British pharmaeuticals doing business in the Research Triangle.

Well this story about the international flights certainly is not going away. There is another article in the Courant's travel section today and I saw reports on all of the networks about it. I'm thinking this might be for real. I know I am a wide eyed optimist on this issue but I think our fair region is definately on the rise.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

Having just flown internantional from JFK last night, my plane landed at 6:20PM, and I got home at midnight. Tell me how that's in any way more convenient for someone anywhere in CT. BTW, I passed Greenwich at 10:40PM, that's 4:20 from when I landed, and that's the closest point in CT to JFK. I'm sure Bradley could cut that to well under 4 hours....

Having just flown internantional from JFK last night, my plane landed at 6:20PM, and I got home at midnight. Tell me how that's in any way more convenient for someone anywhere in CT. BTW, I passed Greenwich at 10:40PM, that's 4:20 from when I landed, and that's the closest point in CT to JFK. I'm sure Bradley could cut that to well under 4 hours....

Tweed could do it in even less time, as could Waterbury/Oxford or Danbury Muni for that matter, doesn't mean they're getting non-stops to Heathrow.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what's going on when the definite plans are concerned, but I am excited to say that I was going through the airports website and stumbled across a map that shows what the airport supposedly submitted to the FAA for approval and might I say it's nothing like the model they have at the airport. The plan calls for 3 stages.

The first stage (2006-2009) calls for an expansion of the F.I.S. building, and new Air Cargo aprons and buildings near to where the new control tower is located. The second stage (2009-2013) includes the demolition of the Murphy terminal, an expansion of the parking garage almost reaching the F.I.S. building, and the construction of 2 new concourses west of the present-day US Airways/United concourse. It looks a lot like D.C. National. If I had to guess by looking at it....after everything is completed Bradley would have around 50 gates. Finally, there's the thrid and final stage (2014-2024), which is mainly centered around new taxiways and the closure of Runways 1/19.

Now I don't know if this is still the plan the airport is presently running with because this was last updated on October, 7th of last year, but I sure hope that it is. I've posted the link to the pdf page below.

Bradley International Airport Master Plan

Now I don't know if this is still the plan the airport is presently running with because this was last updated on October, 7th of last year, but I sure hope that it is. I've posted the link to the pdf page below.

Bradley International Airport Master Plan

Very intresting - thanks for sharing. I think Bradley has huge potential as an alternative to Logan and JFK/Newark not to mention becoming a "hub" to central New England.

Good for them, good for Hartford.

Now if they would just stop saying "welcome to Hartford/Springfield" when you land unless MA wants to kick in some cash subsidy. ;)

As long as the DOT runs Bradley it will underperform.

They screwed up the new addition by putting all the services on the gate side of security. You can't even get a cup of coffee if you don't have a ticket. That's completely opposite of Reagan National Airport which has virtuallly all the ammenities outside of security.

Get the DOT away from Bradley.

• 2 weeks later...

Any flights to London would have to go to Gatwick, and Heathrow is more known for their European connections so I doubt we would see a London flight. If anything, the startup company that was considering doing London flights would be the best bet, however with how things are going in the industry I doubt we will see it any time soon.

it would be more likley to see BDL get service from KLM or possibly Lufthansa. KLM could to 767 service over the pond so there really wouldn't need to be a huge plane on the route, possibly evan a 757 with Icelandair through their capital city with connections onto more European destinations would work also.