Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

• 2 weeks later...

I also would like to know how much $$$$ it would take to get Trans-Atlantic flights started. Someone with power has GOT to get the ball rolling here....make a list of the things that need to happen and DO them. People are always willing to TALK, but never act. I think the nike slogan of "Just Do It" is perfect for my thoughts on this.

Most of the flights will be put into regular delta mainline, but most 757's will be gone and 737's and MD80's will run the route. If you go to Delta.com and download the electronic time table, you can see the schedules for up to June I believe.

I was not aware that Delta had stopped ALL 767 service from ATL nor did I know that Cincy was no longer getting 757 service. How is it that we're getting more passengers per year, but don't have the bigtime planes like we use to? Also, since Delta is the biggest presence at Bradley....does anyone see possible International service to Europe or will we have to wait for an overseas carrier?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Bradley being wildly popular these days, I would think their would be a market for international flights.

A few years ago, there was a businessman who was thinking of BDL to London flights. It would be nice to see a Connecticut based airline do INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS. ShuttleAmerica was an CT based airline but it moved out of state.

JimS

I still remember the day I found out that Shuttle America was no longer going to be based in CT. :( I also remember alllll about the West Hartford businessman who wanted to start non-stop service between BDL-STN. I'm almost certain it was to be called AtlanticJet and would have used 757-200 aircraft. He couldn't get the proper funding for it though so it became an idea that disappeared.

What is going to happen to Terminal B? Are they going to renovate, or just tear it down? I flew on American, and the place looks and feels like a bombed-out bus terminal! Leaking roofs, stained carpet, nasty bathrooms, etc. I say turn it into a parking garage and triple the size of the new terminal...

what they SAY is going to happen is that it will be torn down. American Airlines will have 4 gates in terminal A across from United until the new terminal and concourses are built.

With Bradley being wildly popular these days, I would think their would be a market for international flights.

Traffic is actually flat or down at the airport for recent months i believe. The big planes are going away in favor of filling smaller planes, the same amount of passengers, just in small planes. Nationwide, airplanes are flying 5-10% more passengers so planes are more full. This percentage term is referred to as "Load Factor" Historically, its been in the low 70's... these days its in the mid 80%s

Dont be deceived by the flight additions, Delta's available seats in BDL is/ will be down significantly. Last february they had 10 Atlanta flights and 4 Cincinnatti flights all on mainline aircraft, some 767s and 757s. This summer there will be 6 Atlanta mainline, 1 Regional jet, and Cincinnatti will be 2 mainline and 2 regional jets. The las Vegas and Los Angeles flights are only feasible from BDL because it flies at a time when the aircraft would normally be parked (red eye flight), meaning only variable costs have to be covered in order to make a profit on the flight.

If I did all my calculating and adding correctly....Bradley is at around 73% capacity. We have enough seats so that if EVERY SINGLE ONE were full we'd be ending up with about 10.1 million passengers a year.(give or take a few)

Every single seat will never be full in any airport. BDL still has a good 5-10 years before any space is needed.

Every single seat will never be full in any airport. BDL still has a good 5-10 years before any space is needed.

Oh I know that very well, which is the reason I'm skeptical about the need for another HUGE terminal expansion. I do recognize the fact that to keep up with growth you must build before you actually need it....so that you don't get caught without what your needs demand, but to have a plan to potentially build another 2 concourses seems a bit much when there are presently 12 gates being unused. So, the plan to build the terminal and concourse space big enough to house 22 new gates by destroying the Murphy terminal and it's 16 seems a little out there. Even though this plan wouldn't begin construction for atleast 5 years, why create MORE unused space?

The whole place is mismanaged. They give away the gates. The new terminal has almost no consessions outside of sercurity, and the deal given to the folks who build and run the new parking lot borders on criminal.

And that's how Connecticut treats the most important economic generator in the state.

The whole place is mismanaged. They give away the gates. The new terminal has almost no consessions outside of sercurity, and the deal given to the folks who build and run the new parking lot borders on criminal.

And that's how Connecticut treats the most important economic generator in the state.

give away the gates? and it does piss me off when I think about who's in charge....and how they manage it.

Oh I know that very well, which is the reason I'm skeptical about the need for another HUGE terminal expansion. I do recognize the fact that to keep up with growth you must build before you actually need it....so that you don't get caught without what your needs demand, but to have a plan to potentially build another 2 concourses seems a bit much when there are presently 12 gates being unused. So, the plan to build the terminal and concourse space big enough to house 22 new gates by destroying the Murphy terminal and it's 16 seems a little out there. Even though this plan wouldn't begin construction for atleast 5 years, why create MORE unused space?

Maybe they are planning for the closure of Brainard Airport and the influx of new business. I love the city of Hartford for its history, beauty, and location, but the city has long been associated as a violent enclave.. People are still told to avoid it like the black plague....The area ( S. Meadows? ) represents a large swath of land that is ripe for residential and mixed-use development. There is no need to house Brainard if Bradley is not operating at full capacity. If the city could open up that area for development, it would create a marketable area near the Conn. River for primarily residential development....thereby spinning-off development and interest to surrounding areas. With very small city boundaries, there isn't a lot of room for expansion...only re-development. The only thing holding Hartford back, in my opinion, is livable walkable neighborhoods. Long time residents might not think that e=way, but many people have an image of the city itself as a dangerous place. There has to be more of a variety with the income levels in the central city. If this new development could potentially fit in with the surrounding neighborhoods, it would be great. Forget about the reputation with aviation scholars! What about the reputation Hartford has earned as one of the most violent places in the country? I would think that is more important....New life, more residents, etc. will change the face of the city....not a glitzy tower that will most likely remain empty...

Maybe they are planning for the closure of Brainard Airport and the influx of new business. I love the city of Hartford for its history, beauty, and location, but the city has long been associated as a violent enclave.. People are still told to avoid it like the black plague....The area ( S. Meadows? ) represents a large swath of land that is ripe for residential and mixed-use development. There is no need to house Brainard if Bradley is not operating at full capacity. If the city could open up that area for development, it would create a marketable area near the Conn. River for primarily residential development....thereby spinning-off development and interest to surrounding areas. With very small city boundaries, there isn't a lot of room for expansion...only re-development. The only thing holding Hartford back, in my opinion, is livable walkable neighborhoods. Long time residents might not think that e=way, but many people have an image of the city itself as a dangerous place. There has to be more of a variety with the income levels in the central city. If this new development could potentially fit in with the surrounding neighborhoods, it would be great. Forget about the reputation with aviation scholars! What about the reputation Hartford has earned as one of the most violent places in the country? I would think that is more important....New life, more residents, etc. will change the face of the city....not a glitzy tower that will most likely remain empty...

I agree with some of your points, but I actually feel that Hartford is almost out of crisis stage. We have a bad reputation to some degree and only time will heal that. Hartford will still be poor and plagued with violence for the foreseeable future, as is Providence and most other mid and large sized American cities. The important thing is that we are building new neighborhoods and the development will catch on. CT's and Hartford's future has never been brighter. The New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter line is coming, this will enable residents on the rail line to easily live in Springfield or New Haven and work in Downtown Hartford or get the NYC easily on train running regularly every day. Hartford is on the rise, we already have the most difficult things to create, a strong corporate base, the highest GMP per capita in the nation, the second highest salaries in the nation, and a cost of living considerably lower than NYC, Boston, or even Providence. Our redevopment will continue, the University of Hartford will soon expand into the Blue Hills section of the North End and 2 housing projects adjacent to the campus will be redeveloped as mixed use projects in a neighborhood directly adjoining Hartford's West End with it's million dollar mansions and Govorner's Residence. It's only the begining for Hartford's come back and it's going to be spectacular when all is said and done. All naysayers will be proven wrong, including those living in our own backyard.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

I agree with some of your points, but I actually feel that Hartford is almost out of crisis stage. We have a bad reputation to some degree and only time will heal that. Hartford will still be poor and plagued with violence for the foreseeable future, as is Providence and most other mid and large sized American cities. The important thing is that we are building new neighborhoods and the development will catch on. CT's and Hartford's future has never been brighter. The New Haven Hartford Springfield Commuter line is coming, this will enable residents on the rail line to easily live in Springfield or New Haven and work in Downtown Hartford or get the NYC easily on train running regularly every day. Hartford is on the rise, we already have the most difficult things to create, a strong corporate base, the highest GMP per capita in the nation, the second highest salaries in the nation, and a cost of living considerably lower than NYC, Boston, or even Providence. Our redevopment will continue, the University of Hartford will soon expand into the Blue Hills section of the North End and 2 housing projects adjacent to the campus will be redeveloped as mixed use projects in a neighborhood directly adjoining Hartford's West End with it's million dollar mansions and Govorner's Residence. It's only the begining for Hartford's come back and it's going to be spectacular when all is said and done. All naysayers will be proven wrong, including those living in our own backyard.

I can't wait to see the day when Hartord becomes a major league city again. Hopefully we'll also see some rapit transit thrown in for the capital city sometime...

I can't wait to see the day when Hartord becomes a major league city again. Hopefully we'll also see some rapit transit thrown in for the capital city sometime...

I can't wait either and it will definately happen. It's only a matter of time. The growth of SE CT can't hurt either. That will get people from all over the US onto CT and that is a big part of the battle. Just getting people to come and experience what CT has to offer.

people, what's this stuff have to do with the airport....nada! please stay on point

Sorry about the diversion. It's not exactly relative to the airport, but it is all relevant. The better the region does the more the airport will grow, so it does sort of relate.

Sorry about the diversion. It's not exactly relative to the airport, but it is all relevant. The better the region does the more the airport will grow, so it does sort of relate.

This is very true, however I've seen past posts get railroaded into something COMPLETELY off topic. I am interested to see what impact the proposed Utopia project has on Bradley though. I think the air service will be split 50/50 between Bradley and Providence....Bradley because it already has more flights, but Providence because it's closer.