Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

I'm officially depressed :(

Though keep in mind the low cost operators would start with 100-130 seat aircraft with several flights.

But more evidence to what i mentioned from september schedule changes (discovered or posted today)

US added an extra BDL-DCA on a 50 seat CRJ

AA is downgrading the SJU from an A300 to a 757 (85 seat loss)

though the MIA flight will go from a 737-800 to a 757 (25 seat gain)

MIA provides better connections via MIA than SJU

The way I see it September 6th, 2006 is dooms day for BDL AA service. BDL-SJU is downgraded to a 757, BDL-DFW is downgraded from 3 737-800's to 2 MD-83's and an MD-80, and BDL-ORD is downgraded to regional jets. Only good part is BDL-MIA is upgraded to a 757.

Thats the trend these days, the legacy airlines are just not making money on the domestic system, the airlines that have been good to BDL in the past (AA and DL), are now cutting back, airlines like NW and CO are at the same levels they have been for almost 5-10 years. UA has about the same or a little less in overall seats as well. But its not really a reflection on Hartford, but more the airline industry as a whole, as this is happening to a lot of smaller to mid- sized airports. However, also remember, planes are flying more full than ever too, so not every seat lost is a passenger lost. I believe it was March where PVD had a 10% loss in seats, but only a 1% loss in passenger traffic.

I dont see too many more cuts in service, i think the bulk of the rest will be comming from Delta, probably sometime this fall, and mostly in the form of florida redictions,snaller aircraft, and maybe LAS, probably somethimg like 3-400 seats before all said and done.

As for the AA, terminal note, they have plenty of gates (6 gates for 15 flights) and practically their own exclusive facility so its doubtful the terminal would spur them to add flights, at this point its all about demand and passenger yeild (revenue)

Like i said, any hope for added service lies in the low-cost carriers.

Why does AA have 6 gates for only 15 daily arrival flights, but Delta has 4 gates for 25 arrival flights and US Airways has 4 for 27 arrival flights? It seems a bit uneven.... :unsure:

Well pre 9/11 (when AA's leases were signed) airlines were making huge $$ and didnt care. Im not certain but i think DL had more gates in the old term than they do now. Airlines these days are more efficient. US is relatively porportionate, esp considering a bunch are express and dont require jetways. Southwest is very efficent with gates and has 34 daily, potentially 38-40 daily by years end at PVD where they lease 4 gates. When Southwest first started they did up to 18 flights out of a single gate. No airline there now really needs more than 4. One of the biggest factors for gate needs is the morning push, when many flights leave between 6 and 8am.

Look in my profile and feel free to AIM me if you have more specific aviation questions.

What Bradley really needs is a facelift. Although I grew up in the Hartford area I had usually flown out of Kennedy. Recently I flew into the airport from Vancouver (via Toronto). Both of those airports are very clean and modern and I was shocked and at how nasty Bradley looked in comparison. As I descended on a narrow escalator and saw falling stained ceiling tiles I could only imagine what impression this makes to first time visitors to the city. Everything the airport just looks old and cheap, investing in the airport would make a huge difference for the Hartford/Springfield area as a whole, which could use an image boost.

What Bradley really needs is a facelift. Although I grew up in the Hartford area I had usually flown out of Kennedy. Recently I flew into the airport from Vancouver (via Toronto). Both of those airports are very clean and modern and I was shocked and at how nasty Bradley looked in comparison. As I descended on a narrow escalator and saw falling stained ceiling tiles I could only imagine what impression this makes to first time visitors to the city. Everything the airport just looks old and cheap, investing in the airport would make a huge difference for the Hartford/Springfield area as a whole, which could use an image boost.

You must have flown into the old terminal. Terminal A, while nothing shocking or amazing, is very clean, modern, and new. What is now terminal B is disgusting. You aren't going to see any major improvements done to that part of the airport because the long range plan is to tear down that entire terminal and replace it with something that I'm sure will resemble the new terminal.

You must have flown into the old terminal. Terminal A, while nothing shocking or amazing, is very clean, modern, and new. What is now terminal B is disgusting. You aren't going to see any major improvements done to that part of the airport because the long range plan is to tear down that entire terminal and replace it with something that I'm sure will resemble the new terminal.

...but people from out of town don't know that. I say either fix it up, or tear it down.

like I've said in the past....they are tearing the Murphy terminal down. It's the oldest terminal in the country that is still used. American Airlines will be moved across from United while it happens and I'm pretty sure that Air Canada Jazz will be using gate 8, which is currently unused. It is uncertain what they will be replacing it with though. There is the model of what they originally planned for in the airport, but another larger idea has come since then. However, with the recent downgrade of flights and the leveling of growth I think they may opt to just build the original idea, which was to build a mirror effect of what they recently finished a few years ago. The smart thing to do would be to build the bigger one though....so that the room for growth is there (better to be safe and have the space than to be caught without it). The first thing to go will be the parking lot infront of Terminal B followed by the destruction of the Murph.

well it looks like someone was right about Delta cutting back seats to Florida. The following changes occur Sept. 1 2006.

West Palm Beach

752 changed to MD88

Orlando

752 changed to 738

752 changed to MD88

CRJ stays same

Tampa

738 changed to MD88

752 changed to MD88

Only DAL 752 we'll have now is FLL, and ATL in the months they change over to one from 738.

like I've said in the past....they are tearing the Murphy terminal down. It's the oldest terminal in the country that is still used. American Airlines will be moved across from United while it happens and I'm pretty sure that Air Canada Jazz will be using gate 8, which is currently unused. It is uncertain what they will be replacing it with though. There is the model of what they originally planned for in the airport, but another larger idea has come since then. However, with the recent downgrade of flights and the leveling of growth I think they may opt to just build the original idea, which was to build a mirror effect of what they recently finished a few years ago. The smart thing to do would be to build the bigger one though....so that the room for growth is there (better to be safe and have the space than to be caught without it). The first thing to go will be the parking lot infront of Terminal B followed by the destruction of the Murph.

While it may sound like a good idea to build it in advance, and in a sense it is, an airport can not afford to spend $50 million on a new concourse based on "hope". Space will get tight and airlines wil have to share, but it makes much mroe financial sense. Its all about motivation, if the airline wants to do a certain flight, they will find a way to make it happen.

Examples -

Southwest running 10+ morning departured form PVD out of 4 gates, it requires an extra scheduling effort on southwests part

Perhaps the best example is Orange County Airport (SNA) in So. Cal. They do the same volume of passengers at BDL (7.3 million) out of a 14 gate terminal AND with ONE 5,700' runway!

SNA uses common use terminal equiptment (CUTE) which is osmethign more airports are going to, meaning that any airline can use any gate, LAS also uses alot of CUTE technoogy for those who have used that airport. Too many airports are seeing airlines waste gate space to keep competition from getting gates that the airports are getting burned, thus the changing trends so that airports can build less terminal space, yet run more flights.

well it looks like someone was right about Delta cutting back seats to Florida. The following changes occur Sept. 1 2006.

West Palm Beach

752 changed to MD88

Orlando

752 changed to 738

752 changed to MD88

CRJ stays same

Tampa

738 changed to MD88

752 changed to MD88

Only DAL 752 we'll have now is FLL, and ATL in the months they change over to one from 738.

Their sept schedule is still in draft form, so it may not be final yet, but id expect the florida sched to closely resemble this (as predicted!)

Regarding ATL, their sept draft shows 7x MD88 which is actually a slight upgrade seeing how one of then was a CRJ-700.

Knowing Delta, their final Spet sched should be done in mid/late july sometime, but i wouldnt expect many changes form what you are seeing now (florida cuts).

so, are you saying that Bradley could get away with just tearing the Murphy terminal down and not build anything in its place?

I doubt they will, but theorically they could. The thing is, that terminal is paid for and is generating $$$, Any replacement would cost $50 million more, and generate only slightly more revenue. What i'd do just just renovate the eastern potion (closest to the new term) and demolish the rest. Renovation will be far cost effective, then you can always add on later.

I doubt they will, but theorically they could. The thing is, that terminal is paid for and is generating $$$, Any replacement would cost $50 million more, and generate only slightly more revenue. What i'd do just just renovate the eastern potion (closest to the new term) and demolish the rest. Renovation will be far cost effective, then you can always add on later.

That's what the original plan called for. They were going to turn the part where Southwest used to be into a concourse that used both sides of that part of the building....along with making twice as long.

2005 O&D for Bradley (Passengers Originating at BDL)

airports in red are currently served

MCO 392,630

FLL 202,220

TPA 178,900

LAS 166,920

BWI 163,280

ORD 151,630

PBI 130,360

ATL 101,720

PHX 94,790

LAX 89,500

RSW 86,050

SAN 62,070

DFW 59,350

MSY 56,390

RDU 52,000

DCA 50,020

DEN 49,360

MSP 47,760

MDW 47,760

SFO 45,900

MIA 45,300

CLT 43,160

STL 42,670

DTW 41,820

BNA 41,600

SEA 37,280

CMH 33,160

PIT 31,340

CLE 31,180

IAD 30,240

IAH 29,210

IND 28,500

SAT 27,460

SJC 25,480

OAK 25,120

CVG 24,770

PDX 23,850

SLC 22,780

PHL 22,600

SNA 22,360

ABQ 22,130

HNL 20,590

Edited by TaylorG4444

If United reintroduced San Francisco service that would be great for anyone who wants to fly one-stop to destinations in the Pacific (Hawaii, Asia, Australia). The A319 could be the perfect aircraft for this route since it has the range. If it's successful it could be upgraded to a 757-200.

I think they need to change the way they market Bradley.

1. Change the name to Hartford International Airport or Bradley Field at Hartford International Airport.

2. Put a welcome to Hartford or welcome to Connecticut sign to welcome travelers.

3. Drop the Springfield reference on the flights.

This would help appeal more to the densely populated Fairfield and New Haven counties which still has too many people using NYC airports. It would also help CT tourism

I think they need to change the way they market Bradley.

1. Change the name to Hartford International Airport or Bradley Field at Hartford International Airport.

2. Put a welcome to Hartford or welcome to Connecticut sign to welcome travelers.

3. Drop the Springfield reference on the flights.

This would help appeal more to the densely populated Fairfield and New Haven counties which still has too many people using NYC airports. It would also help CT tourism

#1) singling out Hartford wont really do much, since people needing to come to Hartford know there is one and only one real option.

#2) im suprised they dont have that already... i havent seen ai airport WITHOUT a welcome sign for the state.

#3) BDL would not be the airport it is without the city of springfield, while not as much business, it does make up a very large peice of the BDL catchment area.

In summary... a name change isnt going to do much, since air travelers using the region know the airport is there. If they want to expand their "name reach" they will downplay the hartford reference and appeal beyond that..... something like "western New England International Airport" or something...

#1) singling out Hartford wont really do much, since people needing to come to Hartford know there is one and only one real option.

#2) im suprised they dont have that already... i havent seen ai airport WITHOUT a welcome sign for the state.

#3) BDL would not be the airport it is without the city of springfield, while not as much business, it does make up a very large peice of the BDL catchment area.

In summary... a name change isnt going to do much, since air travelers using the region know the airport is there. If they want to expand their "name reach" they will downplay the hartford reference and appeal beyond that..... something like "western New England International Airport" or something...

Or CT International Airport. Although I do like Hartford International Airport.

Edited by drc72

• 2 weeks later...