Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

was on airliners.net and found this article to be interesting....any thoughts?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...17/6/#ID2844717

I have been hearing more rumors about how NW is planning an Intl expansion, while I havent heard anything BDL specific, NW was probably the most credible rumor, and also the one that made the most sense logically (smaller a/c, 757 to a EU hub). I dont doubt NW has looked at it, its just a matter of BDL can remain on the priority list.

I have less confidence in the London concept, not sure who it would be since they said Stanstead Airport which is not as popular of convenient as Heathrow or Gatwick. Id be a little more hesitant when talking about a sedondary US airport, to a secondary London Airport as it looses alot of appeal to business travelers.

well, looks like the Delta cutbacks are true and will be taking place Sept. 5th of this year. One of them will be the lose of SLC.

The rough total fo cuts comes out to be 30% less seats on a year over year basis (comparing OCT 06 vs Oct 06)

RSW and SLC are gone, the biggest cuts came from Florida (as expected).

I wouldnt take this as an indication of things at Hartford and the airport, AA and DL have a mile-wide path of destruction behind them in terms of service/seat/capacity cuts, it just took them a while to get to BDL and now you guys are seeing what many airports already have.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great news for Greater Hartford and Bradley, from today's Hartford Courant by Larry Smith:

The state has reached a deal with the federal government that will keep planes operating at the Air National Guard's 103rd Fighter Wing at Bradley International Airport.

Please provide a link and do not repost articles in their entirety.

-Cotuit

Edited by Cotuit

Bradley is so confusing. I can never figure out what is Terminal A and Terminal B, and then Concourse A and Concourse B and something else. When they're done with this in 2012, they should rename everything to make it easier. Then you have the street name the airport is on. Curses!

Bradley is so confusing. I can never figure out what is Terminal A and Terminal B, and then Concourse A and Concourse B and something else. When they're done with this in 2012, they should rename everything to make it easier. Then you have the street name the airport is on. Curses!

It's only confusing for someone who doesn't know where they're going. However, I have no doubt that any and all confusion will be fixed once they've completed the next new terminal in 2014.

I've been to airports that are a lot more confusing than Bradley. Bradley is actually pretty easy to get around in, in my opinion.

It's only confusing for someone who doesn't know where they're going. However, I have no doubt that any and all confusion will be fixed once they've completed the next new terminal in 2014.

I guess you told me.

Boy, you gents certainly took what I said the wrong way!

• 2 months later...

Good News - NWA is announcing today that direct service between BDL and The Netherlands is a go.

Bad News - The old terminal is still in use and still looks like crud.

Well, that is certainly cause for celebration!!!!!! Amsterdam, here we come. Don't sweat the old Terminal, it'll be replaced at some point, but I'm sure Taylor will pipe in with more info than I ever could....

I really really hope this to be true, but I can't find anything confirming it online. I really need to see a press release from Bradley and the State before I can believe this fully.

Here it is, right in the Courant. I should haved checked there first. This is GREAT news!!!!

Courant BDL-AMS Story

Edited by HartfordTycoon

I've heard from a reliable source that Northwest Airlines and ConnDOT have reached a deal to initiate daily nonstop service between Hartford and Amsterdam. Northwest is going to announce the start of service this afternoon.

I'm sure many more details will be forthcoming shortly. I have not heard when the flights will start.

Stay tuned...

Edited by Yankee.Peddler

Here's a Courant blurb just released...

Northwest To Announce Trans-Atlantic Flights From Bradley

By MARK PETERS

The Hartford Courant

October 11 2006, 2:44 PM EDT

After years of trying, Bradley International Airport will finally be able to offer a direct route to Europe.

Northwest Airlines plans to launch nonstop daily flights between Bradley and Amsterdam, the first trans-Atlantic flights in the airport's history, officials announced today.

The once-daily departures and arrivals from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport are expected to start by July 1 of next year, officials said. Fares have not yet been determined.

State officials have tried for years to bring a truly international flight to Bradley. The airport currently offers flights to Canada and charters to other points in North America.

"There has been a push for as long as anyone can remember," said James Abromaitis, commissioner of the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development.

The new flight should be welcomed by Connecticut business people who currently must travel to Boston or New York City to fly to Europe, Abromaitis said.

Earlier this year, Delta Air Lines started offering four daily flights from Bradley to New York City, where travelers can connect with flights to 67 destinations around the globe.

Bradley, which handles about 390 takeoffs and landings each day, is New England's second busiest airport behind Logan International Airport in Boston.

An Associated Press report is included in this story.

Copyright 2006, Hartford Courant

The drug capital of Europe! Whoooo wooo.

actually drugs are used less in amsterdam by the natives and more by tourists because they're legal there and illegal here. it's proof that legalizing drugs here will reduce use.

back on topic... why has bradley always been called "international" when it was never really international (aside from flights to canada)?

I really really hope this to be true, but I can't find anything confirming it online. I really need to see a press release from Bradley and the State before I can believe this fully.

Here it is, right in the Courant. I should haved checked there first. This is GREAT news!!!!

Courant BDL-AMS Story

It is true, Northwest put out a press release earlier today. Hopefully the route will perform well and will lead to service to other mid-sized cities. The US airlines expanded to alot of smler mid-sized cities over seas, now its time for them to hit up those sized cities over here....

I expect the summer to do good since is a small aircraft (translantic speaking) with only 160 seats. Im not as optomistic about the winter time, when European traffic drops off, but the fact again that its a small plane, may help. Even if its only seasonal its still a big plus, and hopefully the test goes well.

BDL now joing BOS and PVD with having scheduled Atlantic service (for those who didnt know PVD has seaosnal service to Ponta Delgada (azores) contining to Lisbon on 222 seat airbus A310)

Id like to see this work for all the cities that could potentially follow.