Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

I hope this leads to more flights, to other Europeon destinations. :yahoo:

its tough because the "good" London airports (Heathrow and Gatwick) have limitiations on what cities can be served and BDL is currently not on that list.

Id say the next most likely would be a Delta 757 to Paris CDG, currently DL does not fly 757s accorss the pond, and probably will not do to until at least 2008 and chances are Boston would see DL translantic service first.

Airports like BDL PVD CMH and IND need the Bermuda II agreement (which limits the gateways from those airports) to go away.

actually drugs are used less in amsterdam by the natives and more by tourists because they're legal there and illegal here. it's proof that legalizing drugs here will reduce use.

back on topic... why has bradley always been called "international" when it was never really international (aside from flights to canada)?

Well, like you said, we have Canada, which is not in our Nation, and to my knowledge we have International Cargo flights...

Daily flights is a very ambitious schedule. Service once or twice a week would have a better chance of succeeding.

I hope they spent enough to market these flights properly. That will have a huge impact. I hope the Dutch tourism board is buying time on WFSB right now.

And it might make sense for the Connecticut Department of Tourism to be buying some time on Amsterdam TV stations touting Mark Twain's House, Foxwood's, Hot Dogs and the Connecticut shore.

Finally. This might a really smart move on the part of NW. Hartford is an incredible alternative to Boston, JFK, and EWR. For anyone who isn't closer than an 1 hour from those airports, BDL is a more convenient alternative. Looking at a map, that's a lot of people - and a lot of people with a lot of money. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BDL will put together some attention-getting promotional material and pepper every newspaper from Albany to Worcester to Providence to Greenwich with the idea that BDL is convenient, not crowded, parking is affordable, highways less jammed, etc... If the State is more proactive (than it has ever been in promoting this state-controlled asset), this could easily be the first of several connections to popular European destinations...with London and Frankfurt next on the list; Paris, which may be seasonal service.

Does any one know how long Memphis, TN has had n/s service to AMS on NW? If MEM can support it, BDL should be able to kick...

Edited by Phillydog

....and to think that there were non-believers; like I was making it up. :thumbsup::yahoo: Bout freakin time! I do agree with Lucas' comment about Paris though. Due to Delta's presence at Bradley it's the most logical and realistic destination. After Paris I'd say London Stansted or Frankfurt.

Some of us have been with you all the way, Taylor, even though I don't understand what the hell you airport guys talk about half the time...

PVD'sflight to Azores is nothing compared to BDL getting AMS service. This is one of the biggest things that could ever happen to Hartford. Now having a true international flight to Amsterdam makes Hartford part of the big boys, Hartford is one step closer to being a big time major league city. This is not only good for Harford but all of Southern New England. Now instead of driving 2+ hours to get on a international flight all you have to do is drive the short distance to BDL and walk less than 500 feet to the terminal. Makes it so much nicer than the headaches in NYC, Boston or when you have to make multiple connections to get to Europe.

Hartford's insurance and financial industry will support this flight enough on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of agreement for the business community to make a commitment to buy tickets. Not only will the business community make this work, but Delta, Continental and NW might actually end up routing some passengers through BDL onto AMS and beyond.

There is a rumor once again on airliners.net that this is only the beginning and that BDL might see more expansion from others soon, let

Edited by uconn99

What about Stansted?

A couple Connecticut business men were going to start "Atlantic Jet" with service to Stansted, it never happen and I think the thought has died. Problem is that the airport doesn't really offer connection possibilites and is far from the city.

Amsterdam, London Heathrow or Gatwick, Paris, and Frankfurt would not only serve O & D passengers but provide easy connections to the rest of Europe and beyond.

PVD'sflight to Azores is nothing compared to BDL getting AMS service. This is one of the biggest things that could ever happen to Hartford. Now having a true international flight to Amsterdam makes Hartford part of the big boys, Hartford is one step closer to being a big time major league city. This is not only good for Harford but all of Southern New England. Now instead of driving 2+ hours to get on a international flight all you have to do is drive the short distance to BDL and walk less than 500 feet to the terminal. Makes it so much nicer than the headaches in NYC, Boston or when you have to make multiple connections to get to Europe.

Hartford's insurance and financial industry will support this flight enough on its own. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of agreement for the business community to make a commitment to buy tickets. Not only will the business community make this work, but Delta, Continental and NW might actually end up routing some passengers through BDL onto AMS and beyond.

There is a rumor once again on airliners.net that this is only the beginning and that BDL might see more expansion from others soon, let

Couple examples of where people might fly thorugh BDL.

Passenger A-

Lives in Indianapolis and needs to go to Amsterdam. Flights through Detroit are booked solid, back tracking to MSP doesn't make much sence, and Boston is also full. Northwest routes passenger A from IND-BDL-AMS and reverse on the trip home.

Passenger B-

Lives in Palm Beach and needs to get to Europe. Flights out of Miami are either too expensive or booked solid. Delta routes passenger B from West Palm to BDL on Delta. From BDL they hop on the 757 codeshare flight to AMS and onto their next destination in Europe. Atlanta flights were all booked for the dates and times passenger needed to fly.

Passenger C-

Lives in Norther New Jersey. Needs to take a business trip to Amsterdam last minute, all flights are sold out or too expensive out of NYC airports. Continental puts passenger C on a Newark to BDL flight with a connection onto a codeshare BDL-AMS flight. Passenger gets to meeting in AMS on time.

These are a couple ways BDL could see connecting traffic. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Memphis or Milwaukee added to BDL with non stops. The BDL-AMS flight will be mostly O & D passengers, but NW might see it as a possible way to lessen the burden on their other hubs certain times of the year.

A couple Connecticut business men were going to start "Atlantic Jet" with service to Stansted, it never happen and I think the thought has died. Problem is that the airport doesn't really offer connection possibilites and is far from the city.

Amsterdam, London Heathrow or Gatwick, Paris, and Frankfurt would not only serve O & D passengers but provide easy connections to the rest of Europe and beyond.

I wonder if the Atlantic Jet people are still around. I'd love to see BDL to AMS flights -- ING can fly from Hartford to Amsterdamn and vice versa. A few foreign owned companies are headquartered (american division) in CT, so maybe You can see a Bradley to Copenhagen flight (for Lego), bradley to Hamburg (for Trumpf, also Bayer) and a Bradley to London (for AeroEngines International).

Maybe 'AtlanticJet' will be rivived! I would love to see a Connecticut based airline (we had United and Pilgrim and BusinessExpress - along with ShuttleAmerica) flying.

JimS

I've used all London airports and while Heathrow is great due to the connection to the tube, I found Gatwick and Stansted pretty much the same. I flew out of Stansted to get to Prague and the Stansted Express train made it pretty easy to get to from Central London. I had no problems at all. I flew into Gatwick to get to London and I really didn't notice that big a difference in terms of travel time to the city. It was a 10 minute max difference.

I don't know if I heard right because it was late and I was catching the tail end of it, but lastnight I'm pretty sure that FOX 61 mentioned that Northwest had stated that depending on how well BDL-AMS went....they'd be introducing other european destinations and later on into Asia. Now, I'm an incredible optomistic when it comes to Bradley, but Asia? I can't imagine a day when there'd be a BDL-HKG or BDL-NRT flight. lol Other european destinations if done by NWA would be Paris, London, and/or Frankfurt....(only other cities directly served by NWA in Europe) I wouldn't mind seeing the picture below become a regular at BDL though.

A330NWA.jpg

I don't know if I heard right because it was late and I was catching the tail end of it, but lastnight I'm pretty sure that FOX 61 mentioned that Northwest had stated that depending on how well BDL-AMS went....they'd be introducing other european destinations and later on into Asia. Now, I'm an incredible optomistic when it comes to Bradley, but Asia? I can't imagine a day when there'd be a BDL-HKG or BDL-NRT flight. lol Other european destinations if done by NWA would be Paris, London, and/or Frankfurt....(only other cities directly served by NWA in Europe) I wouldn't mind seeing the picture below become a regular at BDL though.

A330NWA.jpg

I think Asia is pushing it, but I wouldn't throw it out of bed, so to speak...

I agree 100%. Personally think Rome would better than to Paris.

Unfortunately, when it comes to USA-Europe routes BDL-FCO isn't a practical one. Consider this....

1.) Alitalia - Boston (seasonal), New York-JFK, Newark

2.) American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, New York-JFK (both seasonal)

3.) Continental - Newark

4.) Delta Air Lines - Atlanta, Cincinnati (seasonal), New York-JFK

5.) Northwest Airlines - Detroit (seasonal)

6.) US Airways - Philadelphia

Now, with the above information in mind, how practical do you think it is to even try and have BDL-FCO service considering that 3 of the cities are served by an International airline that we will NEVER get, and when BOS, ORD, CVG, and DTW can only manage seasonal service to FCO? Not to mention that there are other cities MUCH more likely to gain non-stop Rome service over Hartford, Conn. IAD, DFW, MIA, and IAH come to mind WAY before BDL. Paris, London, and Frankfurt are MUCH more likely to happen before Rome is even made a practical idea. There's always the dream though....

Unfortunately, when it comes to USA-Europe routes BDL-FCO isn't a practical one. Consider this....

1.) Alitalia - Boston (seasonal), New York-JFK, Newark

2.) American Airlines - Chicago-O'Hare, New York-JFK (both seasonal)

3.) Continental - Newark

4.) Delta Air Lines - Atlanta, Cincinnati (seasonal), New York-JFK

5.) Northwest Airlines - Detroit (seasonal)

6.) US Airways - Philadelphia

Now, with the above information in mind, how practical do you think it is to even try and have BDL-FCO service considering that 3 of the cities are served by an International airline that we will NEVER get, and when BOS, ORD, CVG, and DTW can only manage seasonal service to FCO? Not to mention that there are other cities MUCH more likely to gain non-stop Rome service over Hartford, Conn. IAD, DFW, MIA, and IAH come to mind WAY before BDL. Paris, London, and Frankfurt are MUCH more likely to happen before Rome is even made a practical idea. There's always the dream though....

As long as there is a lack of feed on the BDL side (which will always be the case, no ones going to make it a hub) just about any service except for maybe London would need to have connections.

European hub locations are:

AMS (NW/KLM)

CDG (Delta/Air france)

FRA (United/Lufthansa)

I personally think a Delta 757 BDL-CDg would do far better than a NW BDL-AMS, however DL just doesnt have the aircraft, though they are gettign 10-15 new 757s for translantic routes, i expect BOS would see them long before BDL would. Quite possible in the 2010-2015 timeframe, i expect it will take BDL-AMS 2-3 years for it for it to mature where additional flights would come on from any airline.

i expect BDL and PVD to really start to see INTL traffic in the 10 year timeframe 2015-2020 when JFK/EWR and BOS really max out. BDL can pull from the NYC suburbs and PVD will offer high speed rail to both BOS and NYC, most europeans are already used to air/rail connections which will make it more convenient.