Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Hartford-To-Holland Winner

October 15, 2006

Dutch explorers came to Hartford in the early 17th century and opened a trading post at what is still called Dutch Point. So there's a certain historical symmetry in Amsterdam being the terminus for Hartford's first regular trans-Atlantic air service.

The announcement Wednesday that Northwest Airlines will start daily, nonstop service next summer between Amsterdam and Bradley International Airport is, of course, good news. It's been a dream of state officials, starting with Gov. William O'Neill, for three decades. We can now say the "International" part of the airport's name without a wink and a nudge.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-tra...,0,869657.story

Hmmm...

I didn't know Alstorm had a business in CT. I guess they don't make railcars there. Is it just an office? I'd love to see flights to Toyko (for the people in the Honda warehouse) from Bradley. I'd love to see more jobs around the airport. CSO could help move frieght.

Any comments??

JimS

Hmmm...

I didn't know Alstorm had a business in CT. I guess they don't make railcars there. Is it just an office? I'd love to see flights to Toyko (for the people in the Honda warehouse) from Bradley. I'd love to see more jobs around the airport. CSO could help move frieght.

Any comments??

JimS

ALSTOM's Power operations in the US are headquartered in Windsor, they also have a large R&D Facility there. I believe they are one of the towns largest employers.

Edited by redbaron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is good news indeed. The Hartford-Denver market has gone too long without direct service.

On a side note, do any of you think that this thread needs to be put to rest? It's gotten very long and includes many topics beyond the original topic of the airport's master plan. I also think any topic about Bradley should be under the Connecticut forum since the airport serves more than greater Hartford. Food for thought...

This is good news indeed. The Hartford-Denver market has gone too long without direct service.

On a side note, do any of you think that this thread needs to be put to rest? It's gotten very long and includes many topics beyond the original topic of the airport's master plan. I also think any topic about Bradley should be under the Connecticut forum since the airport serves more than greater Hartford. Food for thought...

Actually, I think this is one of the more important threads in the Hartford group, and judging by its length I think most people would agree. Ones I think should be dropped or moved:

Hartford Drive-in in Newington is Gone

The Berlin Turnpike!

Election 2007

State suplus up to 486 million dollars

Who's better for Hartford: Rell or DeStefano?

2006 Skate America

Senators' Debate

Anybody Catch The Debate Tonight On NBC30?

SkateAmerica

etc, etc

This is good news. Frontier is a nice airline with new planes and DirectTv on flights. I just wish Jetblue would offer service into BDL, they are amazing.

The courant makes it seem like there will be 2 non stops each way with how it is wrote. There is only going to be one non stop each way.

Denver to Hartford

11:55p - 5:35a

Hartford to Denver

7:35a - 9:50a

Would it be possible to privatise BDL? I know in Britain BAA plc is a private company (actually owned by a Spanish consortium). Perhaps if the airport was run by a private company it could be more efficiently run, also the funds from such a sale could be used to improve other infrastructure in the area (such as building a highspeed rail link linking Springfield-Hartford-New Haven with New York.

• 1 month later...

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-forecas...dlines-business

Currently 108 people depart from Bradley each day for a trans-Atlantic destination. All catch connecting flights elsewhere in North America.

Northwest is planning to fly 160-seat Boeing 757s on the Amsterdam route.

Edited by beerbeer

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-forecas...dlines-business

Currently 108 people depart from Bradley each day for a trans-Atlantic destination. All catch connecting flights elsewhere in North America.

Northwest is planning to fly 160-seat Boeing 757s on the Amsterdam route.

Does that count all the people that travel to Logan, LaGuardia, and JFK?

edit: After reading the article, I see that it answers my question.....

Edited by MadVlad

I think that currently many people drive or take shuttles to Kennedy, Newark and to a lesser extent Logan. Flying one-stop from Hartford is often $200 or more roundtrip (on economy) leading many people to simply drive.

I think if the price is right, many will choose to take Northwest to Amsterdam. Schipol is one of the best airports in Europe for transferring flights and KLM along with Transavia can connect passengers to cities all over Europe, Africa and Asia. However, I think Northwest is targetting business passengers since they will now be able to reach destinations in Africa and Asia with two flights instead of three.

If Northwest happens to fill up most of the 22 seats in first and only a few seats in coach it will make money due to being a high-yield route. Also, cargo is an important source of revenue for airlines, so we'll have to see how that does.

I think that currently many people drive or take shuttles to Kennedy, Newark and to a lesser extent Logan. Flying one-stop from Hartford is often $200 or more roundtrip (on economy) leading many people to simply drive.

I think if the price is right, many will choose to take Northwest to Amsterdam. Schipol is one of the best airports in Europe for transferring flights and KLM along with Transavia can connect passengers to cities all over Europe, Africa and Asia. However, I think Northwest is targetting business passengers since they will now be able to reach destinations in Africa and Asia with two flights instead of three.

If Northwest happens to fill up most of the 22 seats in first and only a few seats in coach it will make money due to being a high-yield route. Also, cargo is an important source of revenue for airlines, so we'll have to see how that does.

I think NW would be happy with 60-65% load factor in coach if first gets enough seats filled and cargo does well.

I think if you counted Western Mass, and Albany into the equation, BDL has a good amount of potential International flyers on a daily basis, probably close to 300.

i think that the demand will excede expectations. i know people in norwalk, newtown, and danbury that would rather fly out of bradley than the greater nyc airports. i am guessing that many people from wor/auburn west would rather fly out of bradley than logan. there is a lot of population west of auburn and east of norwalk. we shall see.