Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

I think that currently many people drive or take shuttles to Kennedy, Newark and to a lesser extent Logan. Flying one-stop from Hartford is often $200 or more roundtrip (on economy) leading many people to simply drive.

:yahoo::D

WAY cheaper...saved me and 5 friends hundreds to get a ride to union place, take CT LIMO's daily trip to JFK...and fly from there..as opposed to bradley

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Lookin to do a quick golf trip

Theo:

Tampa and Orlando both got great golf courses. I live on a semi-private course that the futures LPGA members (young ladies) had a tournament on.There's an website for Golfing in the Tampa Bay area -- and one of the best courses is the diamond players club in Clarmont.

(Sorry, Mikel, if I talked about Florida! Not really... :) )

JimS

Theo:

Tampa and Orlando both got great golf courses. I live on a semi-private course that the futures LPGA members (young ladies) had a tournament on.There's an website for Golfing in the Tampa Bay area -- and one of the best courses is the diamond players club in Clarmont.

(Sorry, Mikel, if I talked about Florida! Not really... :) )

JimS

Thanks! Know anyone that does packages (flight, 4 rounds, hotel/condo, car [better yet stay right at a course], mons venus, etc)?

Doing a quick search on nwa.com shows that Northwest plans on routing some passengers through BDL for the AMS flights.

I checked IND, FLL, PBI, DTW, CMH, and a few others and they all had flight options that connected in BDL and onto Amterdam.

Well, that's phenomenal news. Too bad we can't become a hub...

It's freaking amazing. Connecticut receives the least amount of Federal Aviation Authority money of any state in the nation. And state and federal officials say they can’t figure out why.

The disparity in funding is notable among the New England states. While Connecticut received $4.7 million from the FAA in 2005, Massachusetts was awarded $51.8 million, New Hampshire was doled out $21.1 million and Rhode Island got $20.1 million. Maine also received nearly three times the amount of Connecticut’s FAA appropriation with $18.4 million in FAA funding and Vermont received more than double at $10.9 million.

Even the U.S. Virgin Islands got more, with $5.2 million.

Maybe our senators and congressmen/women are too busy to think about bringing home the bacon?

Edited by jcrc

It ain't the Senators and Congress folks, although they don't do enough.

It's the DOT not knowing how to write grants and/or not filing the proper paperwork and/or being completely clueless about the process. It is incompetence from the DOT.

Edited by beerbeer

It ain't the Senators and Congress folks, although they don't do enough.

It's the DOT not knowing how to write grants and/or not filing the proper paperwork and/or being completely clueless about the process. It is incompetence from the DOT.

100% correct. The DOT has no idea what they are doing and should have no hand in Bradley, it needs to be privatized ASAP...

BDL used to be a lot bigger than PVD back 10-15 years ago. Today BDL is about 1 or 1.5 million more passengers a year, althought MHT in Manchester is still smaller than both BDL and PVD by a decent amount of passengers.

BDL has far more cargo than any airport in New England except for Boston.

MadVlad:

Who knows. We might be a hub for NWA. :) It would be nice!

JimS

I don't think Hartford will ever be a hub for any airline. It's not geographically positioned to be a hub, and there isn't enough of a population base. Hubs tend to be in areas that offer good connection opportunities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. Also there's been a tendency by large carriers to trim service the smaller hubs and downsize other cities to regional jets. If cities like Columbus, Pittsburgh, St. Louis cannot maintain hub status then Hartford has no chance. Even as a Northeast transatlantic gateway it cannot compete with JFK, Newark or Boston.

It's not a bad thing that Hartford is not a hub, just ask many residents in hubs dominated by a single carrier how much they pay for tickets. What BDL needs is to attract more airlines, for instance Air Tran and jetBlue. Some routes to Atlanta and to Florida by the former and nonstop flight to California on the latter would be good.

I don't think Hartford will ever be a hub for any airline. It's not geographically positioned to be a hub, and there isn't enough of a population base. Hubs tend to be in areas that offer good connection opportunities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. Also there's been a tendency by large carriers to trim service the smaller hubs and downsize other cities to regional jets. If cities like Columbus, Pittsburgh, St. Louis cannot maintain hub status then Hartford has no chance. Even as a Northeast transatlantic gateway it cannot compete with JFK, Newark or Boston.

It's not a bad thing that Hartford is not a hub, just ask many residents in hubs dominated by a single carrier how much they pay for tickets. What BDL needs is to attract more airlines, for instance Air Tran and jetBlue. Some routes to Atlanta and to Florida by the former and nonstop flight to California on the latter would be good.

I just saw a Frontier add for service directly to Denver. That's a start....

I completely agree with the idea of CT having it's own Port Authority because the DOT is a bunch of brainless twits. A step further would be to make it impossible for anyone in the DOT currently "responsible" for airport decisions to be involved with the newly organized Port Authority. New minds = new solutions = new $$$$. :)

Denver is a great start, but new and existing carriers just won't be trying to expand BDL's market unless they see a considerate demand for a particular destination. Air Tran most likely would not star ATL service for atleast another 5 years and JetBlue to the west coast won't be happening even though I think a BDL-OAK route would be great. Something that people need to remember is that ALL of the legacy airlines are focusing their efforts towards INT'L travel. Expanding domestically isn't on their radar right now. However, depending on how well BDL-west coast does in the next 5 years we MIGHT see additional service there via SFO or OAK.

I am not certain if the law has changed but I own a small plane and ran a small private public use airport in Connecticut from 1991 through the early 2000's. There was a State Statute that prohibited non State owned airports from receiving Federal funds in theory to allow the State to receive more (Windor Locks, Hartford, New Haven, Willimantic, Oxford, Danbury, Bridgeport, Danielson and New London). Other states do not have this regulation and that may account for some of the disparity. That law may have been changed or may be under review as I am aware of a program that provides Federal funds for municipalities to purchase small airports and there are some applications in the works.