Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Most colleges have banned wikipedia as a reference for term papers because the information is so bad. It is information created by the on-line users. The only check and balance is other on-line users.

Wikipedia has quite an extensive page on bigfoot presenting the pro and cons.

Edited by beerbeer

Let's see. One semester I wrote a 7 page paper with 80% of my sources being the German version of Wikipedia (translated online into English). The same professor a year later banned Wikipedia as an official source that can be used.

I'm pretty sure if they cut the Bradley to Amsterdam flight, some major news outlet would have covered it by now. More like, every major TV station in the state would be up in arms crying about the decision as well as the Hartford Courant. Have we seen that yet?

Let's see. One semester I wrote a 7 page paper with 80% of my sources being the German version of Wikipedia (translated online into English). The same professor a year later banned Wikipedia as an official source that can be used.

I'm pretty sure if they cut the Bradley to Amsterdam flight, some major news outlet would have covered it by now. More like, every major TV station in the state would be up in arms crying about the decision as well as the Hartford Courant. Have we seen that yet?

I hope your right about this....

So far the flight is still bookable, so that is a good sign. Northwest has alot of learn about running an airline and they do have some significant staffing problems so we will have to see. If they do cut it, the news media might not get to it for a few days as airlines usually try to see those things on the down-low. Notice southwest never said a thing about dropping their BDL-PHL flights. Airlines tend to update their schedules on weekends, so see how it looks on monday.

I saw on Channel 3 a week ago or so that Bradley may change its name around, maybe "Hartford International Airport at Bradley Field," and they may also drop the Springfield from the flight name to just Hartford. The airport guy (forget his name) said it the Hartford-Springfield makes the airport sound like a small town airport.

I could see dropping the Springfield out of the equation, even though it's close by anyway. But, the place is pretty much known as Bradley or "the airport in Hartford"

I think airlines would be able to look past the name and see the fact that Bradley is the only major airport in the state of Connecticut and western Massachusetts. Because it sits halfway between Boston and New York, it serves good purpose. And well, with the fact the New York area is becoming such a conglomerate where airports like Stewart (Newburgh) are getting major increases in attention just due to proximity of NYC and the overload at JFK and LGA, Hartford can bank on that.

For Bradley's sake, Tweed is too small and Sikorsky is (a) too small and (b) doesn't want passenger traffic

I saw on Channel 3 a week ago or so that Bradley may change its name around, maybe "Hartford International Airport at Bradley Field," and they may also drop the Springfield from the flight name to just Hartford. The airport guy (forget his name) said it the Hartford-Springfield makes the airport sound like a small town airport.

I would name it only Hartford International Airport.....

I would name it only Hartford International Airport.....

I don't think they'd drop the 'Bradley' completely since it's named for a soldier who was killed there.

Would they change the code (HIA)? How about "Hi ya from HIA" for a marketing campaign? Not any worse than any of the ones they've had so far.....

EDIT--->>> Actually Harrisburg already uses HIA

Edited by Theophrastus Bombastus

What about the best of both worlds....here are a few that I thought of in no particular order....

1) Hartford International Eugene M. Bradley Airport

2) Hartford International Bradley Airport

3) Eugene Bradley Hartford International Airport

4) Hartford - Bradley International Airport

5) Bradley International Airport

6) Hartford International Airport at Bradley Field

7) Eugene M. Bradley International Airport

Either way I don't think we could remember the soldier and then call it quits after 65 years. That's almost like spitting in his grave, which is very wrong.

Edited by TaylorG4444

What about the best of both worlds....here are a few that I thought of in no particular order....

1) Hartford International Eugene M. Bradley Airport

2) Hartford International Bradley Airport

3) Eugene Bradley Hartford International Airport

4) Hartford - Bradley International Airport

5) Bradley International Airport

6) Hartford International Airport at Bradley Field

7) Eugene M. Bradley International Airport

Either way I don't think we could remember the soldier and then call it quits after 65 years. That's almost like spitting in his grave, which is very wrong.

I like option 4. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Sounds like a copycat of Atlanta, before Atlanta started putting everyone in the name.

Atlanta adds a name to the airport every few years... right now its the " William B Hartfield-Jackson Atlanta International" (though William B is often left off)

So it could be the "Eugene Bradley Hartford Springfield Windsor Locks International Airport"

I know you hartford people perfer to see he hartford alone in there, but tou do have to thank the Springfield Area for roughly 1/3 of the service there at the airport.

The Bradley name is widely recognized and known, like ATL which is commonly referred to as "Hartsfield" rather than "Atlanta Intl". Having just hartford could have a detriment for people going to Central Mass who look at Hartford or Boston... that central and western mass area is where the springfield part helps.

Since BDL serves such a large geographic area, i dont think its a smart idea to give it a centralized geographic name, "Bradley International" works best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a bit of info for you guys. Delta has just recently applied for BDL-CUN. If it gets govt approval this will definitely give USA 3000 a run for their money and possibly open the flood gates to more international travel with Delta from BDL.

That's welcomed news. I had to look up what Airport CUN was for though since I've never flown to Cancun and am not fluent in flyer speak!

Just a bit of info for you guys. Delta has just recently applied for BDL-CUN. If it gets govt approval this will definitely give USA 3000 a run for their money and possibly open the flood gates to more international travel with Delta from BDL.

The college kids in Connecticut will be thrilled ;)

Seriously, this may pave the way for future flights to the Carribbean, especially Nassau.

Internationally speaking....I think new international service will be slow growing at first. However, I think that the following is a possible list of new destinations we could see in the not-to-distant future.

KIN - - - - Kingston, Jamaica

NAS - - - - Nassau, Bahamas

CDG - - - - Paris, France (De Gaulle)

LGW - - - - London, England (Gatwick)

FRA - - - - Frankfurt, Germany

Now as far as the three European destinations listed....I think we will only be able to sustain one of them. Not all three at once. For BDL to sustain all of those at one time the CT region and specifically the Hartford region would have to have a significant boost in population. Hartford would have to also become more of a player in the global business world as well as a vacation destination. If those things happened....then I think it's quite possible for us to see BDL-CDG, LGW, FRA.

I would like to see Bradley get more Europeon connections....

I think everyone from this forum that has a love for CT would like to see that. Problem is that many people think of outlandish possibilities that aren't practical. As the saying goes....you have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. Amsterdam is a great start, but it's only a first step. Not to mention AMS is most likely on a trial run for a year or so to see how it can do. As I've stated many times in previous posts, additional European service will most likely come from a native airline. Our best bet is Delta due to our decent domestic link with them and the most logical European destination would be Paris. Not only do they have the most non-stop Delta flights in Europe, but they also have an extensive network of connections throughout the world via Deltas Skyteam partners. Also, if and when this happened you might see past domestic destinations come back along with completely new routes.