Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

I think everyone from this forum that has a love for CT would like to see that. Problem is that many people think of outlandish possibilities that aren't practical. As the saying goes....you have to learn how to crawl before you can walk. Amsterdam is a great start, but it's only a first step. Not to mention AMS is most likely on a trial run for a year or so to see how it can do. As I've stated many times in previous posts, additional European service will most likely come from a native airline. Our best bet is Delta due to our decent domestic link with them and the most logical European destination would be Paris. Not only do they have the most non-stop Delta flights in Europe, but they also have an extensive network of connections throughout the world via Deltas Skyteam partners. Also, if and when this happened you might see past domestic destinations come back along with completely new routes.

I don't think there have been many "outlandish possibilities" proposed on this thread -- at least not recently.

I think we'll see more direct service to the Carribbean in the future. The demographics of Connecticut are coming more into line with sustaining this type of service. Delta and American are probably Bradley's best bet.

As for Europe, it will be hard for Hartford to sustain many direct flights. Flights to global hubs like Amsterdam work because they provide connections to destinations around the world. Perhaps we'll see one or two additional flights in the future. Only time and the market will tell.

I don't think there have been many "outlandish possibilities" proposed on this thread -- at least not recently.

I think we'll see more direct service to the Carribbean in the future. The demographics of Connecticut are coming more into line with sustaining this type of service. Delta and American are probably Bradley's best bet.

As for Europe, it will be hard for Hartford to sustain many direct flights. Flights to global hubs like Amsterdam work because they provide connections to destinations around the world. Perhaps we'll see one or two additional flights in the future. Only time and the market will tell.

What about Asia? It seems there is a growing population in CT.

For Asia, there's the one or two flights to the European hubs to get connections to Asia. Not sure if Bradley is big enough to get non-stops to Asia. It'd be nice, but dunno feasible.

For the Caribbean, I can see several flights heading down there. Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti (maybe), some of the other islands with heavy populations in Conn. Daily service to Puerto Rico, once or twice a week to some the other islands.

For Asia, there's the one or two flights to the European hubs to get connections to Asia. Not sure if Bradley is big enough to get non-stops to Asia. It'd be nice, but dunno feasible.

For the Caribbean, I can see several flights heading down there. Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti (maybe), some of the other islands with heavy populations in Conn. Daily service to Puerto Rico, once or twice a week to some the other islands.

American already flies non stop to San Juan, and in the past has done 2 daily non stops seasonal. They use 757 and Airbus wide bodies on the route.

Air Jamaica almost started service into Hartford in the early 90's when there was talk about a non stop European flight, both never got off the ground.

Hartford has no chance of ever having flights to Asia. There is only a handful of cities with flights to Asia, Austrailia and the middle east from the US.

American already flies non stop to San Juan, and in the past has done 2 daily non stops seasonal. They use 757 and Airbus wide bodies on the route.

Oh, right, Puerto Rico isn't considered international. My bad. I knew they're an American territory, but everything seems to treat them as something different.

Amsterdam-Hartford Flights Popular

August 17, 2007

Northwest Airlines' Amsterdam-to-Hartford flight was, on average, 80 percent full during its first month of operation, according to data released Thursday by Bradley International Airport.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-ctbrief...0,4892325.story

Edited by Theophrastus Bombastus

Encouraging...

Amsterdam-Hartford Flights Popular

August 17, 2007

Northwest Airlines' Amsterdam-to-Hartford flight was, on average, 80 percent full during its first month of operation, according to data released Thursday by Bradley International Airport.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-ctbrief...0,4892325.story

80% is actually not that great. esp when those figures likely include non-revenue passengers (airline employees etc) who likely flocked to this flight as it was their only way overseas in the busy summertime travel. The problem is that after August/sept demand and yeild literally falls off a cliff with yeilds (fares) being 25-50% less in the off season and demand also being lighter, i believe NE was hoping for stronger peak month performance, despite it being the first month of the flight ( i had wondered why they started it so late myself).

I believe the flight can be sucessful in the summer time, but seeing the #'s if august is not a significant improvement I dont think the flight will be running Nov-march at the least. Though another option to keep service year round would be to run on a reduced freequency (4-5x/ week rather than daily) We shall see.

Northwest has very few employees in Connecticut. It's doubtful that employees from Boston and New York would travel to Bradley in lieu of catching a flight out of Logan and Kennedy (or Newark) respectively. Therefore, I would assume the number of non-revenue passengers is very low.

Business travel will sustain this flight in some fashion through the off-peak periods. We may see a reduction in flight frequency, but I'd be surprised if Northwest pulled the plug all together. Obviously, trying to predict the future of the airline industry is murkier than trying to predict New England weather.

80% is actually not that great. esp when those figures likely include non-revenue passengers (airline employees etc) who likely flocked to this flight as it was their only way overseas in the busy summertime travel. The problem is that after August/sept demand and yeild literally falls off a cliff with yeilds (fares) being 25-50% less in the off season and demand also being lighter, i believe NE was hoping for stronger peak month performance, despite it being the first month of the flight ( i had wondered why they started it so late myself).

I believe the flight can be sucessful in the summer time, but seeing the #'s if august is not a significant improvement I dont think the flight will be running Nov-march at the least. Though another option to keep service year round would be to run on a reduced freequency (4-5x/ week rather than daily) We shall see.

whats a signifigant improvement for those vacant 29 seats per flight? i think its way knee jerk and without merit to start predicting off of one month's statistics.

whats a signifigant improvement for those vacant 29 seats per flight? i think its way knee jerk and without merit to start predicting off of one month's statistics.

Well July is the peak month for tranatlantic travel both revenue and passenger wise, thats whyi was suprised when NW didnt start the flight in June, to truly see how it would perform under the most favorable conditions.

There were 130 passengers on each flight on average our of 160 seats. My professional estimate would say between 10-20 of those 130 passengers were non-revenue passengers, which reduces the revenue load factor to roughly 70% when every other flight in july is running close to 90%

Normally you never base a flights performance on the first month, however, July is by far the transatiantic peak. fares are typically 50% cheaper from Nov-March, meaning the ability to fill the plane becomes imperitive during those months. I wish i had access to how many of those 130 were fare paying. I'd be shooting for an 85-90% total load factor for august to keep the flight around.

I the article even stated:

"Northwest has said it expected the Bradley-Amsterdam leg to attract more interest, at least initially."

I the article even stated:

"Northwest has said it expected the Bradley-Amsterdam leg to attract more interest, at least initially."

You misinterpret that quote. They meant they thought that the AMS - BDL flights would be harder to fill than the BDL - AMS leg and currently it seems like it's been averaging about 80% both ways. Bradley officials catergorize this as good so far. Also the majority of passengers from BDL - AMS have been using the service to connect to other European cities, so I'd think this flight will most likely stick around as passengers from CT utilize this flight more and more for European travel.

I wonder what the load factor was in business class? If up front is full, it really doesn't matter if coach is only 60% full.

And with all the corporate presence in Hartford, especially UTC, The Hartford, ING, and GE down in Fairfield, business class should be full most of the time. That isn't accounting for the number of last minute tickets these companies buy as well.

I am sure a lot of people don't know of this flight still. Give it a few months and it will be a solid flight to keep around all year long.

Ricky, don't be such a hater because PVD will never have a "true" international flight. :)

And if you do the math, the load factor was actually closer to 82%.....

Also, I believe there is no NW employees in Connecticut. Maybe the ground crew, but all gate agents were replaced with contracted employees.

Edited by uconn99

Ricky, don't be such a hater because PVD will never have a "true" international flight. :)

1st off....I havent lived in PVD for going on 6 years now, im currently an aviation consultant in Atlanta, so i do know a thing or two about how things work in the biz ;-)

I know folks at PVD are actually hoping this flight will do well, because the model can expand to other simmilar sized airports, such as PVD, because the same concept applies, if it cant work at BDL, it wont work at other smaller airports

Secondly again ill mention that 82% is the overall load factor, ive heard many stories of non-rev pax using the flight so the revenue load factor is likelt in the mid 70's

The flight did OK duting the best revenue month to europe, the flight was also dicounted with most BDL-AMS fares running about $800-900 r/t when other cities were running $1000-1200 r/t

Typically the lack of demand drives proces down 50%, and even with that load factors will still dip 5-10% from the summer months, so ure talking $5-600 r/t on a 65% full plane, all while the airline get get their act together operationally!

dont get me wrong, I am supporting the flight for the reasons stated above, but the truth is, the flight has not exceeded expectations, and we arent certain if it has even met expectations. BDL-AMS Will not be a daily flight come the winter months with between 0 and 5 weekly flights likely.

I will add, that there is ONE other INTL flight that could probably do better than NW BDL-AMS and that is BDL-CDG on Delta with their new 757s. BDL has a much more loyal DL FF base than they do an NW FF base, CDG also has more connecting power than AMS does. Though i dont see DL adding the flight with NW on the AMS route, but given one or the other i think Delta would be more sucessful.

1st off....I havent lived in PVD for going on 6 years now, im currently an aviation consultant in Atlanta, so i do know a thing or two about how things work in the biz ;-)

I know folks at PVD are actually hoping this flight will do well, because the model can expand to other simmilar sized airports, such as PVD, because the same concept applies, if it cant work at BDL, it wont work at other smaller airports

Secondly again ill mention that 82% is the overall load factor, ive heard many stories of non-rev pax using the flight so the revenue load factor is likelt in the mid 70's

The flight did OK duting the best revenue month to europe, the flight was also dicounted with most BDL-AMS fares running about $800-900 r/t when other cities were running $1000-1200 r/t

Typically the lack of demand drives proces down 50%, and even with that load factors will still dip 5-10% from the summer months, so ure talking $5-600 r/t on a 65% full plane, all while the airline get get their act together operationally!

dont get me wrong, I am supporting the flight for the reasons stated above, but the truth is, the flight has not exceeded expectations, and we arent certain if it has even met expectations. BDL-AMS Will not be a daily flight come the winter months with between 0 and 5 weekly flights likely.

I will add, that there is ONE other INTL flight that could probably do better than NW BDL-AMS and that is BDL-CDG on Delta with their new 757s. BDL has a much more loyal DL FF base than they do an NW FF base, CDG also has more connecting power than AMS does. Though i dont see DL adding the flight with NW on the AMS route, but given one or the other i think Delta would be more sucessful.

Amsterdam air service an early success

Sunday, August 12, 2007By KENNETH L. [email protected]

Northwest Airlines' direct service between Bradley International Airport and Amsterdam turned in a solid first month of service.

Both the airline and Bradley are pleased with the response of passengers heading to - and from - Amsterdam's Schiphol airport since the daily flights began on July 1.

"The service is still meeting our expectations," said Roman Blahoski, spokesman for Northwest. "We are pleased with the level of bookings to date."

Springfield Republican Article

They are saying it's been a success. If that means anything.

I wonder what the load factor was in business class? If up front is full, it really doesn't matter if coach is only 60% full.

And with all the corporate presence in Hartford, especially UTC, The Hartford, ING, and GE down in Fairfield, business class should be full most of the time. That isn't accounting for the number of last minute tickets these companies buy as well.

I am sure a lot of people don't know of this flight still. Give it a few months and it will be a solid flight to keep around all year long.

Also, I believe there is no NW employees in Connecticut. Maybe the ground crew, but all gate agents were replaced with contracted employees.

Since Northwest uses a 757 on this flight, there are only -- at most -- a dozen first-class seats. I'd be very surprised if these weren't full all the time.

There's a billboard advertising this flight on I-84 in Tolland County. I'm sure (or hope) there are more; this is the first I've seen.

Amsterdam air service an early success

Sunday, August 12, 2007By KENNETH L. [email protected]

Northwest Airlines' direct service between Bradley International Airport and Amsterdam turned in a solid first month of service.

Both the airline and Bradley are pleased with the response of passengers heading to - and from - Amsterdam's Schiphol airport since the daily flights began on July 1.

"The service is still meeting our expectations," said Roman Blahoski, spokesman for Northwest. "We are pleased with the level of bookings to date."

Springfield Republican Article

They are saying it's been a success. If that means anything.

Looks like CT is not the only one prospering from this.... Western Mass definitely has a lot to gain from this.

• 3 weeks later...

It is about Delta applying for BDL-CUN service.

Bradley Direct To Cancun, Eventually

Delta did get permission, by the way, to start direct flights from Bradley to Cancun. But the seasonal, Saturday-only flights won't start until the middle of April.

I am trying not to be vexed that the Delta press release declares: "Melt Away Winter Blues in the Tropics." I wish to point out that, technically speaking, we consider mid-April to be spring. Even in New England. Delta did announce in the same press release that it will start flying directly to Cancun from Raleigh and Orlando in early February. OK, so that really is winter. But I would argue that the residents of Raleigh and Orlando have no right to have the "winter blues." Anyway - the lowest coach fare at this point from Bradley: $572, including taxes and fees. The flight time: 4 hours, 10 minutes going down; 3 hours, 55 minutes coming back. The aircraft: a 737-800 (a stretch version) with 134 seats in coach and 16 seats in first. Meal: no. Movie: yes. And that's Saturdays only, folks, in season, whatever that season may turn out to be.