Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

These flights should have started in the late 90s but the DOT is sooooooooo behind the curve.

BDL has had these flights since the late 90's......

The existing USA 3000 BDL-CUN flights runs 2x weekly in the peak season (this new flight is only 1x/week)

I believe BDL has had at least 1x weekly CUn for the past 5 maybe even 10 years.

Seems that delta has gotten wind that the charters have been sucessful and want to move in with scheduled service (and possibly drive the charters out)

As for the timing, i was rather perplexed by the late start, esp since i believe the CUN flight is just using a flight that would have otherwise gone to ATL on saturdays

• 2 weeks later...

Adding New England to the name isnt bad, but BDL is quite far from many parts of New England, the only airport that could maybe get awat with it is ORH (Worcester)

"Western new England Intl" or "Central New England Intl" might be more realistic and consistent with customer expectations.

If manchester hadnt added Boston to their airport name, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Using their example why not change it to the Boston-New York International Airport? A new name doesnt change the service area, and the lack of competitive alternatives is what keeps service levels at BDL so high, so theres really no need for it.

Interesting article in the Courant this morning about renaming Bradley. I like the name Bradley, but I think it would be more powerful if the name invoked the more broad location of "New England" into the name.

Hartford Courant - 9/21/2007

I really don't like that idea. I think New England is just too big and generic. It would be better to change it to Bradley Hartford International or Bradley Connecticut International. I don't think incorporating New England into the name helps with marketing our specific region at all.

I really don't like that idea. I think New England is just too big and generic. It would be better to change it to Bradley Hartford International or Bradley Connecticut International. I don't think incorporating New England into the name helps with marketing our specific region at all.

I agree. I like Hartford Bradley International Airport. I mentioned this on the Courant's website. The name puts "Hartford" on the map but keeps the old name in play (especially for the locals). This arrangement works well for airports like Boston Logan and Washington Dulles. It's also the least-expensive and least-confusing to implement.

I agree. I like Hartford Bradley International Airport. I mentioned this on the Courant's website. The name puts "Hartford" on the map but keeps the old name in play (especially for the locals). This arrangement works well for airports like Boston Logan and Washington Dulles. It's also the least-expensive and least-confusing to implement.

You're right. That name sounds the best to me. Hartford Bradley International gets my vote.

how would it be the least expensive? all material would need to be recreated with the new name no matter how divverent. new street signs and marketing material. Airlines would need to change the name on their materials either way. The least expensive would be to leave the name as it is.

I already posted this a few months back. but I thought since this was brought up again I'd bring it back. Here are some names I came up with for Bradley if they ever do decide to change the name.

1) Hartford International Eugene M. Bradley Airport

2) Hartford International Bradley Airport

3) Eugene Bradley Hartford International Airport

4) Hartford - Bradley International Airport

5) Hartford International Airport at Bradley Field

6) Eugene M. Bradley International Airport

7) Hartford International Airport

just a thought....but I just had an idea. I think Kiran and the rest of BDL board members should be trying to lure in RyanAtlantic to Bradley for an American base of operations. It's close to both NYC and Boston and is also not major airport, which is what they're looking for. Columbus already had representatives go and talk to RyanAir this past summer. We should get on the ball if not on it already. The European destinations are thought to include Dublin, London (Stansted), Frankfurt (Hahn), and Barcelona.

just a thought....but I just had an idea. I think Kiran and the rest of BDL board members should be trying to lure in RyanAtlantic to Bradley for an American base of operations. It's close to both NYC and Boston and is also not major airport, which is what they're looking for. Columbus already had representatives go and talk to RyanAir this past summer. We should get on the ball if not on it already. The European destinations are thought to include Dublin, London (Stansted), Frankfurt (Hahn), and Barcelona.

I agree, although I fear that RyanAtlantic would prefer to set up shop at places like T.F. Green to lure Boston travelers and Islip or even Stewart to lure New York travelers.

I agree, although I fear that RyanAtlantic would prefer to set up shop at places like T.F. Green to lure Boston travelers and Islip or even Stewart to lure New York travelers.

I see what you mean, but I don't necessarily think that they'd choose to pay $$$$ for two airports if they could get away with just one. Remember, RyanAir has hubs that are in most cases not immediately close to the city they're advertising the destination for. Ex. Frankfurt-Hahn airport is 75 miles West of Frankfurt, Barcelona-Girona is 63 miles North of Barcelona, Oslo-Torp is 70 miles South, and Stockholm is 62 miles South....

So, who's to say that 100 miles from both Boston and NYC is all bad. It's not THAT different from the ones mentioned above. However, don't be surprised that if they do decide to make their eastern hub at BDL they advertise it as NYC-Boston Airport etc.

I see what you mean, but I don't necessarily think that they'd choose to pay $$$$ for two airports if they could get away with just one. Remember, RyanAir has hubs that are in most cases not immediately close to the city they're advertising the destination for. Ex. Frankfurt-Hahn airport is 75 miles West of Frankfurt, Barcelona-Girona is 63 miles North of Barcelona, Oslo-Torp is 70 miles South, and Stockholm is 62 miles South....

So, who's to say that 100 miles from both Boston and NYC is all bad. It's not THAT different from the ones mentioned above. However, don't be surprised that if they do decide to make their eastern hub at BDL they advertise it as NYC-Boston Airport etc.

If RyanAtlantic decides to make BDL its hub for Northeast operations, I'd be very surprised but very supportive.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...-airports_N.htm

Good news.... interesting how it is listed as "Hartford Bradley", also it is the only one in the Northeast on the list.

Note To Moderator: Please put this topic up in the 'sticky' section.

It was nice to see Bradley mentioned as one of the best small airports. I wonder how TF Green did in Providence?

Bradley is a "small" airport because of the man missteps of the CDOT.

Well, unfortunately it can't all be blamed on them. Some of it has to do with the location; It's a good and bad thing at the same time. You would think some airlines (Delta, Northwest) would maybe use Bradley as a smaller feeder airport to Europe. Northwest does it slightly with flights connecting to AMS, but our location should be utilized much more than it is. We advertise as a less crowded, hassle free, second option to BOS, JFK, EWR, and LGA, but we don't have the connecting routes that would make more people choose to come to BDL instead. It's stupid to think that we can lure people from bigger airports that have many more non-stop routes without having some of the same that passengers would want (which is where the DOT and Kiran from the BDL board come in to play). The bad part about our location IS our location....too close to better options(as of now). I think if the DOT gets shaken up a little it would help us greatly with our status as a destination and feeder airport in the future.