Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More bad news... anyone know how many flights? IAH must have been one of the longest directs from BDL.

Continental Announces Details of Capacity Reductions

HOUSTON, June 12, 2008

CO today released details of the reductions in flying that were announced last week. These actions are among the many difficult steps CO is taking to respond to record-high fuel prices that are creating unprecedented challenges for the airline industry. Starting in September, at the conclusion of the peak summer season, CO will reduce capacity from its hubs, resulting in an 11 percent decline of domestic mainline capacity (available seat miles, or ASMs) in the fourth quarter, compared to the same period last year. The changes will result in a 6.4 percent decline in consolidated (mainline plus regional) capacity in the fourth quarter, compared to the same period last year. The following table shows the estimated capacity reductions by hub, including certain capacity changes effective prior to Sept. 3:

As of Sept. 3, 2008, CO will be reducing frequencies in certain markets and will also discontinue service between its hubs shown below and the following cities or airports:

Houston George Bush Intercontinental: Cali, Colombia, Chatanooga, Tenn.,

Guayaquil, Ecuador, Hartford, Conn., Monclova, Mexico, Montgomery, Ala.,

Oakland, Calif., Palm Springs, Calif., Reno, Nevada, Sarasota, Fla.,

Tallahassee, Fla., and Washington - Dulles.

This flight has been on and off the past few years. I believe this was a seasonal flight since shortly after 9/11.

This is one of BDL's longest flights but there are still longer flights to Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver (seasonal now), Cancun, San Juan, Amsterdam that I can think of.

Salt Lake city, another long flight was discontinued last year. BDL never regained San Francisco service since it was cut after 9/11.

This flight has been on and off the past few years. I believe this was a seasonal flight since shortly after 9/11.

This is one of BDL's longest flights but there are still longer flights to Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Denver (seasonal now), Cancun, San Juan, Amsterdam that I can think of.

Salt Lake city, another long flight was discontinued last year. BDL never regained San Francisco service since it was cut after 9/11.

Los Angeles and Dever are both gone as of September, neither one comming back in any future schedules. The fact that BDL-LAX lasted as long as it did (albeit only 3x weekly for the fall before they cut it) means that if things improve that it could be back if we see oil sustained at or below $100-110/ barrel.

Denver wont return on Fontier... Frontier will be lucky if they survive. United is probably the best Candidate for Denver (Southwest cant seem to get a foothold at BDL) but United is hurting so Denver may go away for a few years.

so far Cancun has been pulled from Mid aug-through Sept, but shows back up in Oct, still to early to tell.

One thing to be happy about is the San Juan flight seems to have survived a MASSIVE American pulldown of operations there.

Houston may come back for the summer in 2009 or 2010, but it miht be a while before it runs year round again (It didnt even come back to august this year)

The 2nd FLL and TPA on Delta are also gone for September, but so far they return for October (CRJ-900s)

Cities id be watching out for....

RDU and STL on AA (AA isreducing alot of RJ flying, esp the E-135's which fly BDL-RDU).

IND (point ot point 50 seat RJ routes are getting the ax left and right)

MEM ( I dont see this one returning after sept)

MKE (Midwest future is a little shaky, they are probably the smallest surviving airline right now)

AMS at least seasonally... loads SUCKED in the winter, but have been increasing fairly well during the spring months

BNA (WN has been concerned with PVD-BNA is well, BDL being a smaller WN market, im sure the same applies)

PIT (US has scaled PIT down to near nothing, BDL is one of the last mochicans)

Not all of they will happen (unless oil breaks $150) but all of those are on the "endangered" list.

2008 coul be a bad year for the BDL route map (4 cities lost to date), but it is in no way a reflection of the airport or Hartford, the industry as a whole is sucking wind big time right now, and even if things imporve a little, airlines are often reluctant to jump in and add service back. The brightest spot would be if Delta gets rid of their turkey block on Florida, it could open up an opportunity for an Air Tran or a jet Blue. While initially it might just be a 1 for 1 swap from the Delta flights, long term those airlines would likely grow it, whereas Delta's focus is on International. But in summary, dont be suprised if there are up to 10 less dots on the routemap for 2009.

Edited by RLucas83

• 2 weeks later...

a little something about construction plans not being dead.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-bradley...0,7814962.story

it is really just a counter article to the recent bad news, but it does not really paint a positive picture

Does anyone have pics of the construction process for the new Embraer Northeast Service Center at Bradley? Where is it located on the airports property?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Airways/...90AR/1336377/M/

under the tail you can see construction. GOOGLE ROCKS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Midwest Airlines Which operates 50 seat RJs 2-3x per day from BDL- MKE (Milwaukee) will be discontinuing BDL eff 9/8. This was likely inevitable as the whole airline will probably cease to exist within a year anyways. But MKE can be added to a growing list of lost nonstop destinations so far this year (CMH LAX IAH DEN AMS and BUF).

I did notice that DL added a 7th MD88 on BDL-ATL, i dont think it will be permanent by any means, but it may slow the bleeding a little bit in the fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Midwest Airlines Which operates 50 seat RJs 2-3x per day from BDL- MKE (Milwaukee) will be discontinuing BDL eff 9/8. This was likely inevitable as the whole airline will probably cease to exist within a year anyways. But MKE can be added to a growing list of lost nonstop destinations so far this year (CMH LAX IAH DEN AMS and BUF).

I did notice that DL added a 7th MD88 on BDL-ATL, i dont think it will be permanent by any means, but it may slow the bleeding a little bit in the fall.

So I flew in one of those MD88's about a month ago on my way to california. and I gotta say it might have been one of the most "minor league" travel experiences of my life.

I had never flown out of BLD before, and that runway was pretty sketchy in such "light" gear.

but I did just come across this while looking over AI engineers web site (the people redeveloping broadcast house downtown)

AI was recently selected to perform construction engineering and inspection for ConnDOT

Thank god. I have never felt such a huge bump in the middle of a runway.

I think Bradley is pretty decent overall, but combining the anchient MD88 and that runway does not give the best first impression of Hartfords airport. Its a shame, but it seems like as renovations continue up there the airport will continue to improve.

Now just to get some more good flights back.

The MD88 is not as bad plane, esp Delta's, American's are a little older. Ive flown on just about every aircraft type, and they are roughlt all the same. Just be thankful it wasnt a small regional jet down to Atlanta.

As for getting more good flights back, good luck with that. I think the bleeding will stop soon if it hasnt already. The only other routes at risk for BDL i hink are NW's IND and maybe AA's STL, though that flight did survive a harsh STL cutback.

As for new opportunities, I do think FL (AirTran) and Jet Blue) will be at BDL within 5 years, though i think either of those would likely result in Delta ending their Florida Service (still a net gain though)

The MD88 is not as bad plane, esp Delta's, American's are a little older. Ive flown on just about every aircraft type, and they are roughlt all the same. Just be thankful it wasnt a small regional jet down to Atlanta.

As for getting more good flights back, good luck with that. I think the bleeding will stop soon if it hasnt already. The only other routes at risk for BDL i hink are NW's IND and maybe AA's STL, though that flight did survive a harsh STL cutback.

As for new opportunities, I do think FL (AirTran) and Jet Blue) will be at BDL within 5 years, though i think either of those would likely result in Delta ending their Florida Service (still a net gain though)

I think jetBlue could have much success at BDL, evan today with flight to:

Puerto Rico- There is 3 cities served by jetBlue in Puerto Rico and I think BDL could have non stops to at least 2.

Domincan Republic- Maybe a seasonal flight? Large Domican population in the area

Los Angeles- Now that Delta is gone, maybe a flight to Long Beach not only for LA traffic but conencting traffic on the west coast. Burbank could work as well but Long Beach would be prefered.

Oakland- Nobody has stepped into the San Francisco market since United left.

DEN- Now that frontier is gone, a similar product may work well.

Florida- If Delta cuts back more or leavs, huge oportunity

I think jetBlue could have much success at BDL, evan today with flight to:

Puerto Rico- There is 3 cities served by jetBlue in Puerto Rico and I think BDL could have non stops to at least 2.

Domincan Republic- Maybe a seasonal flight? Large Domican population in the area

Los Angeles- Now that Delta is gone, maybe a flight to Long Beach not only for LA traffic but conencting traffic on the west coast. Burbank could work as well but Long Beach would be prefered.

Oakland- Nobody has stepped into the San Francisco market since United left.

DEN- Now that frontier is gone, a similar product may work well.

Florida- If Delta cuts back more or leavs, huge oportunity

I agree on jet blue somewhat... Certainly no DEN though, F9 couldnt make money and had horrible loads outside of the summer months and they have a hub in DEN, Jet Blue has nothing. Same with the west coast, DL has alot of FFs on both ends, and UA has a hub on the other end for SFO. If they cant make it work, B6 wont be able to.

BDL-Florida is weak and underserved right now as Delta strangles the market. They provide just enoguh service to keep the likes of Air Tran and Jet Blue out. My guess is Delta is more concerned with keeping air tran out rather than jet blue out. Delta would fight tooth and nail to defend ATL, and im not sure thats a battle air tran can afford to fight right now. I think Delta would be willing to hand over some or all of Florida to Jet Blue if they started.

Overall regardless of airlines I would place BDL's current market environment Florida service at:

MCO 6x ( 5 currently)

FLL 3x (1 1/2 currently)

TPA 3-4x (3 1/2 currently)

RSW 1x (1x seasonal currently)

PBI 1x

MIA 1x

But lets work on keeping what's there before we talk about adding new service! But that said air tran or jet blue both have potential in the 0-5 year timeframe.

Ricky,

Don't you think LGB would work with jetBlue condisering they have a decent west coast feed there? Plus LAX is ending soon.

Delta had way more connections available from LAX than B6 does at LGB. Theres only 4-5 cities available from LGB to connect to on B6, and all of those routings are less direct than they would be on other carriers. LGB is also far less convenient for downtown and the Burbank/Hollywood business area. Dont forget, DL also has the largest share of frequent fliers at BDL, and B6 currently has zero. The only other carrier who could maybe make LAX work would be UA with a 319.

• 2 weeks later...

SW is cutting flights :(

1x BWI (down to 7)

1x MDW (down to 2)

1x MCO (down to 3)

to be exact

Some of these may be "seasonal" changes, which is a new thing for WN. PVD seesmto gain a 6th MCO during peak times and they take it away during the sloer months (Sept-oct and Jan-Feb), so the 4th MCO for BDL may do the same thign and come back in March. MDW might be the same thing, Chicago isnt high on peoples places to go in January/February. BWI, dont know, might remain at 7.

On another note, the BDL- Los Angeles, Denver and Houston flights are all done as of today, Milwaukee/Midwest Airlines ends on monday.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.courant.com/business/hcu-ap-bra...0,4241499.story

the new service center is about to open.

finally some positive up there.

The facility, which is nearly 48,000 square feet, is near the New England Air Museum. It will open after an inaugural ceremony Thursday featuring officials from the state, airport and company.

Officials from Embraer and Bradley say more than 60 new jobs will be created at the center to service the company's new line of Phenom and Legacy executive jets.

actually, the walgreens distribution center is about to open as well, so that should maybe increase the freight traffic at the airport as well.

• 5 weeks later...

RANT ALERT

Why are flights SO MUCH MORE EFFFFFING EXPENSIVE now from BDL than from ALL the other regionals - PVD, BOS, HPN, LGA etc etc etc - I thought 'they' were trying to get people away from the huge urban airports!! It's not really a supply and demand thing either, since BOTH are way down. WTF!

Edited by Theophrastus Bombastus

Random survey:

to MCO (Orlando Int'l) from Nov. 20th to Nov. 27th

BDL = 237

SWF = 155

PVD = 199

BOS = 184

But let's be honest. If you live in the Hartford or Springfield area, you're not going to Boston or Newburgh to save that kind of money. The cost in gas driving out there would probably cancel out the cheaper airfare somewhere else. If Hartford was at 337, then maybe going to Stewart is an option.

Random survey:

to MCO (Orlando Int'l) from Nov. 20th to Nov. 27th

BDL = 237

SWF = 155

PVD = 199

BOS = 184

But let's be honest. If you live in the Hartford or Springfield area, you're not going to Boston or Newburgh to save that kind of money. The cost in gas driving out there would probably cancel out the cheaper airfare somewhere else. If Hartford was at 337, then maybe going to Stewart is an option.

to IAH 1/17:

BDL = 355

BOS = 218

PVD = 238

LGA = 218