Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

to IAH 1/17:

BDL = 355

BOS = 218

PVD = 238

LGA = 218

Comparing agains Lguardia and Boston is plain sillyness.

and as a counter to you guys, flying internationally out of BDL is well worth the cost. Delta or whomever add maybe 200 to the ticket price over flying out of NY. the trouble getting down to JFK or EWR for continental and then paying for parking or the transport just makes the local airprt worth the cost difference.

My next vacation we are flying our of BDL because with parking at 6 bucks a day vs 30 bucks a day we will actually fly cheaper out of Bradley than out of New York.

if we take the airport limo its still expensive. and honestly we might even take a cab to and from bradley.

byt yes, flying domesticly its total BS!!!

to IAH 1/17:

BDL = 355

BOS = 218

PVD = 238

LGA = 218

Ouch.

Then again, just about every other airport in the region has competition against some other airport. Bradley's somewhat on its own, and far enough away from NY and Boston to make a difference. Then again, nothing everyone already didn't know...

• 4 weeks later...

It ended during the height of fuel costs when many airlines were cutting back on routes and trying to save anywhere possible. It seemed to have good demand so perhaps it will return someday.

I think it may not come right back.

yes it ultimately died due to high fuel cost more than demand. demand was in the mid 70's If I recall. this is not great, but not all that good either. If fuel prices did not sky rocket, and flight numbers drop across the board, NW might have kept the flight going. But with rising costs. it was only a matter of time. compounding this was the fact that North West was in merger talks with Delta, and were cutting costs to make the sale more attractive. ultimately the fuel was the gun shot, but the merger was the lack of medical care if you get what I mean.

now that NW is gone and we only have Delta I see it to be a real long shot to get the flight back as a delta flight. Delta has major Hubs out of NY and Atlanta.

This holiday I will be flying to Rome out of Bradley by way of NYC. if the Amsterdam flight was still available I might have been on that, but the reality is that a quick hop to NY followed by a direct flight to Rome is still pretty convenient. BDL to AMS to Rome might have even cost us more.

I hope it comes back with the major presence we have with dutch companies. Hell if Allianz buys more of The Hartford we might need a conncetion to Frankfurt

BDL-AMS will likely not be coming back... HOWEVER... BDL-CDG (Paris) may be on the horizon. Delta recently announced RDU and PIT to CDG 5x weekly on a 757 ( same type as BDL-AMS was)

BDL-AMS absolutely tanked in the winter time, and DL has much better brand recognition and frequent flieers at BDL than NW

In my oppinion 5x weekly May-Oct BDL-CDG is the most sustainable idea for transatlantic flying from BDL, and let it from from there into year round service over time

In another note, BDL traffic was down 15% in October, possibly the largest monthly drop for BDL in a decade or longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Great friggin news! Hartford is on a roll the way I see it. I guess I gotta go back to Amsterdam now to celebrate! Hell Yeah!

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Northwest To Resume Hartford To Amsterdam Flight

By ERIC GERSHON

The Hartford Courant

8:17 AM EST, December 9, 2008

Northwest Airlines will resume the Hartford to Amsterdam service is ended in October, a source familiar with Bradley International Airport affairs said today.

The source said Gov. M. Jodi Rell is expected to announce the development at a breakfast meeting this morning.

Northwest initially launched the flight with great hoopla in July 2007. It was the first nonstop transatlantic route to Europe from Bradley in decades. The airline announced in June it was ending the flight, citing an overwhelming increase in fuel costs.

The service is expected to resume in June, although it was not immediately clear how many flights a week would be scheduled.

Northwest and Delta Air Lines, which cut its Bradley to Los Angles nonstop service in June, have merged.

Copyright

cross posted

UP: Hartford-New Haven-Springfield Commuter Rail

WTNH.com

Rail line would include

Bradley stop

Last Edited: Tuesday, 09 Dec 2008, 5:57 AM EST

Created On: Tuesday, 09 Dec 2008, 5:46 AM EST

Hartford (WTNH) - State leaders are working to get a commuter rail project going.

Lawmakers and mass transit advocates today will urge the Connecticut Department of Transportation to fast-track a New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter rail project.

The rail line would also include a stop near Bradley International Airport.

While the DOT is aiming to get the project done by 2015, advocates are hoping to get the project running within two years.

This really demonstrates how vital and influential the corporate community is around these parts.

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

By CHRISTOPHER KEATING

The Hartford Courant

10:57 AM EST, December 9, 2008

In a surprise announcement to a business group, Gov. M. Jodi Rell said Tuesday morning that nonstop, transatlantic airline flights will resume from Bradley International Airport to Amsterdam.

The once-popular flights had stopped in October because of skyrocketing fuel prices, but the recent collapse in prices has led to the resumption, officials said.

"When an airline cancels service, it is rarely resumed - especially one that is international,'' Rell told about 300 business executives at the Marriott hotel at the state's convention center in downtown Hartford. "I may have to take a flight to Amsterdam.''

Rell told the crowd that she had an announcement to make, and she called state transportation commissioner Joseph F. Marie and Bradley airport chairman L. Scott Frantz of Greenwich to the stage before making her statement.

"Not everything is doom and gloom. Trust me,'' Rell said. When the announcement was made, the crowd of business travelers burst into sustained applause.

This really demonstrates how vital and influential the corporate community is around these parts.

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

By CHRISTOPHER KEATING

The Hartford Courant

10:57 AM EST, December 9, 2008

In a surprise announcement to a business group, Gov. M. Jodi Rell said Tuesday morning that nonstop, transatlantic airline flights will resume from Bradley International Airport to Amsterdam.

The once-popular flights had stopped in October because of skyrocketing fuel prices, but the recent collapse in prices has led to the resumption, officials said.

"When an airline cancels service, it is rarely resumed - especially one that is international,'' Rell told about 300 business executives at the Marriott hotel at the state's convention center in downtown Hartford. "I may have to take a flight to Amsterdam.''

Rell told the crowd that she had an announcement to make, and she called state transportation commissioner Joseph F. Marie and Bradley airport chairman L. Scott Frantz of Greenwich to the stage before making her statement.

"Not everything is doom and gloom. Trust me,'' Rell said. When the announcement was made, the crowd of business travelers burst into sustained applause.

My wife and I are heading to Europe in two weeks, and only wish I could have booked this flight rather than go through NYC.

I am so glad it is coming back however.

This really is a good week for Hartford

I didn't realize Frantz was leaving the airport to be a state senator, good for him. He did a great job at Bradley in my opinion. It's very encouraging that Bradley and Greater Hartford have such a strong advocate down in Fairfield County. Truly a rarity.

The Norwalk Advocate

The service will resume June 2 with five flights per week, excluding Tuesdays and Fridays, said a spokeswoman for Atlanta-based Delta, which acquired Northwest on Oct. 29. Amsterdam is a Northwest hub.

The flight will be operated in cooperation with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, providing connections beyond Amsterdam to 81 cities in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India.

"Essentially, the merger with Northwest provided the opportunity to provide connectivity between the joint-venture hub in Amsterdam and Hartford," said Susan Chana Elliott of Delta. "The combination of the two carriers strengthened the domestic need to support the flight."

A 160-seat Boeing 757-200 operated by Northwest will fly the route, Elliott said.

The U.S. airline industry is expected to lose $4 billion to $6 billion this year after posting losses in four of the last six years, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Air Transport Association, the largest airline trade association. Losses have ranged from $12.5 billion in 2002 to $5.7 billion in 2005.

David Castelveter, an association spokesman, said airlines are looking for ways to make profits.

"They're really not growing capacity. They're reallocating their resources," Castelveter said.

Frantz said he and other leaders have been striving for months to get the transatlantic flights to return and promised $800,000 in incentives to Delta to help market the new route.

In addition, the state Department of Transportation sweetened the pot with $325,000 in landing fee and rent reductions to the airline, Frantz said.

Frantz, who promotes Bradley as an alternative to New York City's congested airports, said the flights could produce $37 million annually in direct and indirect benefits to Connecticut and western Massachusetts.

International service at Bradley, which has 224 daily flights to 34 nonstop destinations overall, will likely expand next year, he said. The airport also is expected to get two new carriers, said Frantz, who declined to reveal which airlines until those deals were finalized.

"I can tell you the future of Bradley is a very bright one," he said.

Silly Springfield, they think Bradley is their airport. I kid, I kid. What's good for us is good for them.

Springfield Republican

World opens up again for Western Mass.

by The Republican Wednesday December 10, 2008, 6:00 AM

When Northwest Airlines cited high fuel prices as the reason for canceling its one-year-old service between Bradley International Airport and Amsterdam on Oct. 1, hopes that the flights would eventually resume seemed overly optimistic. Western Massachusetts residents are so accustomed to bad news that Northwest's stated reason for ending the service seemed like just another convenient excuse for a business to abandon the region.

But good things do sometimes happen in the Pioneer Valley. And Tuesday's announcement that Northwest will resume flights from Bradley to Amsterdam - beginning in June - falls into that category.

After the service started, it was an instant success. Flights from Bradley to Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport - the first trans-Atlantic service in the airport's history - had become popular with business and leisure travelers from Connecticut and Western Massachusetts who no longer had to travel to Boston or New York to catch a flight to Europe. The availability of the Amsterdam-to-Bradley service helped lure a Belgian plastics recycler, Socaplast, to launch a $3.4 million project at the Solutia plant in Springfield, creating 15 jobs.

International service at Bradley, which has 224 daily flights to 34 nonstop destinations overall, will likely expand next year, he said. The airport also is expected to get two new carriers, said Frantz, who declined to reveal which airlines until those deals were finalized.

Let the guessing begin....

I am going to say the following are possible.

1) Airtran

2) jetBlue

3) Virgin

4) Midwest or Frontier returns

So, let's guess on the destinations:

Paris, Charles DeGaulle

London, Gatwick

or how about Rome or Munich?

I am pretty sure the "two new airlines" are domestic carriers.

As for as international service, lets try and keep the Amsterdam flight around before we go and add more service. I think the only real possible international destination would be Paris. Delta could possibly add service to CDG but I think they would cancel Amsterdam before doing that.

Rome would never happen, the airport isn't as big to offer connection possibilities like Paris or Amsterdam.

London is always possible since it is probably the largest O&D destination out of Hartford.

Munich won't happen. Frankfurt would be the logical choice if Lufthansa ever wanted to venture into Hartford. You may see that in the next 10-20 years, nothing sooner I don't think.

I say BDL will see 3-4 international destinations 15 years from now. Within the next 5 years maybe a total of 2.

As far as additinal international flights, think South, not East. Amsterdam has to STICK before anyone would try expanding European service.

I could definately see a flight to Bermuda for insurance and holiday purposes.

and I could see Puerto Rico of course.

But if Jet blue were to come here, they are expanding into South America, so there is the off chance for Jet blue being one of the airlines, and for them to open up with a slew of Florida options as well as maybe a link to Bogata or central America.

as far as airlines, I would assume domestic airlines. We are well underserved for west coast flights, so you would think that eventually something will work out connecting us to the Left Coast.

But also dont be too suprised if we add another Canadian city. not glamorous, but international.

Are you kidding me???? Rome's airport is huge! Why do you think it's not a good hub?

The only logical carrier that would fly Hartford to Rome would be Alitalia.

Alitalia doesn't have anywhere near the connection's KLM out of Amsterdam has or Delta/Air France out of CDG.

There are much better opportunities than Rome, AA to London with connections on British Airways and Lufthansa to Frankfurt will certainly come before Rome ever will.

On top of all that, Alitalia is bad shape as an airline. They have cut 100's of flights and many destinations including San Francisco, Atlanta, Washington and Montreal.

Hartford will never have a flight to Rome, at least not in the next 25 years.

Edited by uconn99

my goodness. did the courant actually publish something intelligent and worth knowing? :o)

maybe not for much longer

BANKRUPTCY: Tribune Clarifies Vendors' Payments

December 10, 2008

Monday's filing for bankruptcy protection by Tribune Co. raised questions about when and whether some outside vendors, including free-lance journalists, will be paid. In a message to vendors on Monday, Tribune, which owns The Courant, said all claims for work done after the filing will be paid "in the ordinary course." But vendors who provided goods or services prior to the Chapter 11 filing may have to wait as Tribune sorts out its obligations in bankruptcy proceedings. It was unclear Tuesday how long the wait would be. On its website, Tribune is telling vendors that they will have to file a claim. The website message says it may take months to generate a full list of claims. Courant executives and a company spokeswoman said Tuesday that they were unable to provide an accounting of how many of the paper's vendors must wait for payment or how much the paper owes them.