Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Why does the courant keep posting the same article each day?

Am I missing something?

The first was an article, the second is their sharp editorial with keen insights and observations. :rolleyes: Why do I keep posting it, that I can't answer. I just feel the need to add whatever I come across to the topic.

The first was an article, the second is their sharp editorial with keen insights and observations. :rolleyes: Why do I keep posting it, that I can't answer. I just feel the need to add whatever I come across to the topic.

The editorial is very similar to the original article and the article the day after the news broke. Geez. :wacko:

I really hope the Courant can get through these hard times for newspapers. I really hate that new design, but who knows, maybe other newspapers follow the courant.

How about this guys,

a real article from the only really well written business news source around

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news7431.html

The very end of the article has a carrot for us too.

Jain, who has used the Amsterdam flight to visit family in Kenya, said she has moved on to new challenges. On Thursday, nonstop service resumes from Bradley to Fort Myers, Fla. Now Jain has her sights set on restoring nonstop flights to Los Angeles and Houston. They were suspended in September.

• 2 months later...

I support the private sector as a rule, but I'm not sure about the timing... it seems like all the $$$$$$ is going to be with the 'gubmint' for a while. There's a poll on the website. I didn't know that BDL was self-supporting.....

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-bradley...0,3030817.story

GOP Legislators Suggest Selling Bradley Airport

By ERIC GERSHON {sodEmoji.|} The Hartford Courant

February 19, 2009

The Brooklyn Bridge isn't for sale

BAD BAD BAD idea right now.

First off the state pays nothing to run the airport because its self supporting, so its not like its a drain on the state.

I do not know why we would selling the states best performing asset at a time when no one has the money or bonding capability to buy it.

maybe if we were riding the bubble still and the state could get a sweet chunk of change.

Now should the state lease out the operations to a private party? maybe.

I think that the state need to "suffer" through its past errors right now and fix the pension system and learn some fiscal responsibility. once that is done I wouldnt mind the selling of the airport. Think about it, if you hand a billion to the state it will just be used to cover past mistakes as a bandaid. lets fix things, and then if we had a plan to spend the money in a way that created economic growth I might be inclined to support the idea.

How about this... sell the airport once the commuter rail is completely planned and approved. Use 30% of the sale price to do the maximum build out on the system wich includes the Bradley connector. Use another 10% of the sale price to build the waterbury Hartford line(projected cost is $60M for a bare bones version). And use another 10% as an operational budget reserve for the rail network. This would leave 1/2 of the sale price to use on other projects. Also by building this extensive rail network and connecting it to the airport, the state would be able to get a better price.

Mind you I would like to see that other 50% spent on transportation or economic development. I also think it should mostly be spent around the Hartford region since the asset being sold was developed with hartford transportation monies. just like I would like to any proceeds from the Norwich hospital site go to Norwich area.

• 1 month later...

EZ come, EZ go...

Northwest Suspends Bradley's Amsterdam Flight

12:23 PM EDT, March 27, 2009

For Northwest Airlines, it's on again, off again with Bradley International Airport. Bradley officials said today that the airline, now part of Delta, has "suspended" the flight to Amsterdam that was scheduled to resume on June 3, citing "the challenging economic climate and poor advance reservations." It was just last December that the airline announced it would take a second shot at making money on the Hartford-Amsterdam route that it flew from July 2007 through early October 2008. The airline blamed record-high fuel prices as the reason for ending the flight the first time. In December, Northwest said its merger with Delta, which created the world's biggest airline, would generate enough passenger volume to support the flight. Fuel prices had also fallen precipitously. And Bradley had promised to chip in $500,000 to help advertise the return of the Amsterdam flight and offset fees it charges the airline. "Given the challenging economic climate and poor advance reservations, airline officials from Delta Air Lines decided that the flight is not financially viable at this time, but will be reconsidered as economic conditions improve," Bradley said in a statement. "A reduction in the flight schedule from daily to four times a week, and lower fuel costs, still couldn't offset a drop in demand, which has affected the entire industry."

• 2 weeks later...

Companies sell off non-producing assets not money makers. This sounds lie a bad idea.

I would love to see Bradley taken away for the DOT and run by a board of directors, but I don't think selling the airport would improve it in any way.

I assume you mean that Bradley should be taken away FROM the DOT and I agree. The best thing that could happen to the airport would be for the DOT to no longer be in control. Government proves one thing, time and time again...they are worthless. Read below...CT is no different than Hawaii's gov.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/09/hawaii.vo...pair/index.html

We could use people like this in New Britain. Even after the millions spent on "repairing" roads and sidewalks last year, this city's roads are in shambles. I drove through the 2nd coming of the Grand Canyon on my way home from work today.

I vote for HartfordTycoon.... seriously, let's get two full-scale modern terminals in place, high speed rail from Htfd/Spfld/NH, international flights, decent retail, etc.

Bradley Adminstrator Resigns

The Hartford Courant

12:45 PM EDT, April 17, 2009

Bradley Airport Adminstrator Jeff Schultes has resigned after less than a year on the job, the state Department of Transportation announced Friday.

The resignation takes effect May 1. A DOT spokesman said Schultes was leaving for " personal reasons," but would not elaborate.

"Both the governor and the Connecticut DOT...are intent on bringing in top quality leadership in the near future," DOT spokesman Kevin Nursick said. "That ball is rolling."

Edited by Theophrastus Bombastus

• 3 months later...

Bradley finally has a real sit down restaurant in the new terminal. This has been a really long time coming and I think its great that we finally have one. It's another step towards positioning Bradley to at least be on par with other U.S. Airports.

Hartford Courant

The sit-down restaurant is the first of its kind at Bradley. Representatives from the chain in the spring made a presentation to Bradley's board of directors, and said it would have places for travelers to plug in computers and cell phones and areas to store luggage.

Bradley finally has a real sit down restaurant in the new terminal. This has been a really long time coming and I think its great that we finally have one. It's another step towards positioning Bradley to at least be on par with other U.S. Airports.

Hartford Courant

The sit-down restaurant is the first of its kind at Bradley. Representatives from the chain in the spring made a presentation to Bradley's board of directors, and said it would have places for travelers to plug in computers and cell phones and areas to store luggage.

Very nice.

Black bear is expanding big time I guess.

I will have to remember that there is a proper place to eat next time I have a few minutes at the airport.

I really think the perception of Bradley is starting to slowly change. with the repairs now complete on that runway, and black bear in the new terminal, we just need the market to recover so traffic picks up again and we might get back to Europe.

If the commuter rail runs a spur there I think the growth at Bradley will be staggering.

Article detailing the business deal behind bringing Black Bear to Bradley.

Connecticut Post

Air travelers have never relished long layovers or delayed flights at Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, but because of the arrival of a Black Bear Saloon, part of Stamford-based Post Road Entertainment, there's a new place to go in addition to reading books or playing with Blackberrys.

Management of Post Road Entertainment joined with representatives of food concessionaire Michell Bradley Group and airport officials last week to celebrate the opening of the restaurant and the continuation of a plan to make New England's second-busiest airport more inviting.

In the newer Terminal A, the Black Bear is the first sit-down, full-serve restaurant at the airport, said Kiran Jain, director of marketing and development for Bradley, which is operated by the state Department of Transportation.

"Our intent has been to have a restaurant of this caliber. It's part of our master food concessionaire plan," she said, adding that a survey of airport patrons revealed a desire for a sit-down restaurant. "I think it's going to be extraordinarily inviting."

The airport is an ideal location for the newest Black Bear, said Nicole Steeger, director of operations at Post Road Entertainment, which also operates the Hula Hank's, Thirsty Turtle, Kelly's Pub and 84 Park restaurants in metropolitan New York and Connecticut.

For many years the hotel has had a sit down restaurant accessible from the terminals., these people have a memory of a nano-second.

I think they meant a restaurant in the terminal beyond the security checkpoint the way other U.S. Airports do. So that you don't have to worry about going through the line again and missing your flight after a meal. Not that Bradley's security line takes all that long but it is a lot more convenient.

• 1 month later...

The Rodney Dangerfield of airports.

Embraer Closes Jet Maintenance Center At Bradley Airport Months After Opening

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-embraer...0,7319658.story

seriously

I read this article too and thought how damn silly "everything Bradley" is.

I have high hopes for the airport once the commuter rail opens, but it sems all my hopes ammount to a hill o beans

• 1 month later...

EZ come, EZ go...

Northwest Suspends Bradley's Amsterdam Flight

12:23 PM EDT, March 27, 2009

For Northwest Airlines, it's on again, off again with Bradley International Airport. Bradley officials said today that the airline, now part of Delta, has "suspended" the flight to Amsterdam that was scheduled to resume on June 3, citing "the challenging economic climate and poor advance reservations." It was just last December that the airline announced it would take a second shot at making money on the Hartford-Amsterdam route that it flew from July 2007 through early October 2008. The airline blamed record-high fuel prices as the reason for ending the flight the first time. In December, Northwest said its merger with Delta, which created the world's biggest airline, would generate enough passenger volume to support the flight. Fuel prices had also fallen precipitously. And Bradley had promised to chip in $500,000 to help advertise the return of the Amsterdam flight and offset fees it charges the airline. "Given the challenging economic climate and poor advance reservations, airline officials from Delta Air Lines decided that the flight is not financially viable at this time, but will be reconsidered as economic conditions improve," Bradley said in a statement. "A reduction in the flight schedule from daily to four times a week, and lower fuel costs, still couldn't offset a drop in demand, which has affected the entire industry."

SWA starting BDL-DEN service - it's no Europe, but not bad.

yeah they also added some ft lauderdale and other warm climate locations.

they mention them like its no big deal in one of the articles, but in reality, its great to be able to to get people to those tropical places. even if we become a layover location it creates work and local revenue.

• 4 months later...

Delta To Add Nonstop Flights In June From Bradley To L.A.

This is great news. this again re-opens hartford to any business travelers heading to Asia and oceana out of LA.

Added to the recent announcement of the Southwest flights to Denver, Bradley is begining to slightly recover from the damages it took back in 2008

I think that the airport will do very well once the commuter rail is built and connected directly to bradley, but in order for it all to be a successful transportation network, these returning flights need to succeed and lets hope for some more announcements.

• 2 weeks later...