Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

hey, a little help here

so I read that story today on the HBJ before seeing it again later at the courant.

it made me curious and I googled bradley, the FAA, the CT DOT etc, to try and find the actual plans for expansion.

so what is the plan, and where are we on that plan. I ready the terminal may... MAY be demolished by 2011 to make way for a new terminal that would among other things host the international arrivals ans customs...

but very vague vagueness, and so, I ask, to the plane spotters out there, what are the actuals?

whats definite, whats possible, what are we looking at?

• 2 weeks later...

jet blue evaluating bradley!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-jetblue-bradley-0412,0,2704311.story

"We are evaluating it," said JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras. "We have not announced anything.""We are evaluating it," said JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras. "We have not announced anything."

jet blue evaluating bradley!

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-jetblue-bradley-0412,0,2704311.story

"We are evaluating it," said JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras. "We have not announced anything.""We are evaluating it," said JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras. "We have not announced anything."

Its a done deal from what I was told by someone ion the industry a couple months ago. If that is accurate, Iook for it to happen later this year.

Edited by Luca Brasi

yeah, but where would they fly?

looking at their route map, other airports outside of NYC and their big hubs do not fly anywhere too interesting.

We are verly likely to get some florida locations, and likely a hop to DC NY or boston for connection, but its not like we will get direct to LA or anything.

I suppose we might get a raleigh or Charlotte type flight.

I have always liked Jet blue since they started (I was on one of their first 100 flights) but I do not see them coming into hartford market and setting up anything near a hub or even "major operations"

I think they just want another front to compete with Southwest, and I bet Bradley is offering cheap as hell gates

I should addd thought --I am still psyched

again coupling the commuter rail into this I bet airlines are positioning themselves for the added connection to much larger markets

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Jet Blue flys to Oakland which is as close to San Fran as SFO. They will probably affect the prices if they open up a San Juan route.

the annoying bus ride to the bart station in Oakland is what kills ya though.

and the bus is exact change and the change machins is often broke. I had to buy a paper (and the paper guy knows it because he likely breaks the change machine.) in order to get change. totally crazy, and a kinda sketchy train station.

I dont think Oakland is a possibility since NYC and boston cover that route.

San Juan, I see that working, but really we are wedged between their hub and a major location for Jet Blue.

look at where newburg, and Westchester fly.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-jetblue-coming-to-bradley-0413,0,4494603.story

So nothing official, yet, but clearly more and more info popping out.

San Juan and Florida mentioned.

Robert Mann, an airline consultant based on Long Island, agreed that Florida and the Caribbean would be likely destinations for JetBlue from Bradley. Washington, DC, and cities on the West Coast might also fit, he said.

If we assume San Juan and some florida location(s) say Orlando and Ft Lauderdale

I would be please because every additional flight and extra competition is critical.

but with talk of DC, I would be even more pleased. this would be the government flight and help connect us better to their network.

Portland ME flys to NYC and Orlando directly only. we could easily be seen as being a lot like Portland.

I hope we end up getting a decent number of flights besides just get away locations. I think business locations is what we really need.

very interesting stuff

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know how the United/Continental merger will affect BDL?

not even sure where these airlines stack up at BDL.

apparently Cincinati will lose traffic in favor of O'Hare in Chicago as the midwest Hub of the combined airline. so likely more chicago flights, less cinci.

thats all I read, and it may not even affect BDL

Looks like this will not affect Bradley much but if anything will improve our options.

Hartford Courant

The effects of the United Airlines- Continental Airlines merger on Bradley International Airport won't be clear for months, but industry experts say it will probably expand options for Connecticut travelers.

"I suspect that over time it'll mean single-carrier service to a far greater number of destinations," said Robert Mann, an airline consultant in Port Washington, New York.

Looks like this will not affect Bradley much but if anything will improve our options.

Hartford Courant

The effects of the United Airlines- Continental Airlines merger on Bradley International Airport won't be clear for months, but industry experts say it will probably expand options for Connecticut travelers.

"I suspect that over time it'll mean single-carrier service to a far greater number of destinations," said Robert Mann, an airline consultant in Port Washington, New York.

I read that as being more convenient for the customers, but not sure it will help the airport or not.

I hope it does. if you look at the cuttent routes, and compare them to the new United Hubs, I am thinking we will if we are lucky pick up a few additional flights to those hubs. not necessarily additional destinations, but more likely additional seats daily to cennect at the hubs.

SNIP

(United plans) to maintain all current hubs, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Newark and Washington, D.C. This could generate sufficient additional traffic from a given place to warrant additional flights or new routes, Mann said.

SNIP

From Bradley, United currently serves Chicago, Orlando, Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington, according to an airport timetable effective April 15. Continental flies to Cleveland and Newark.

SNIP

From what I read over the weekend Cleveland is likely to lose some prominence to Chicago.

it will be interesting to see as the airline combines their demand modeling if we end up getting flights to the LA, Denver, Houston, and DC hubs.

I think we fly to all those cities now(or are about to resume those flights)

Houston being the only place I think we do not fly.

continental totally dominates Newark, so I suspect United will do the same, and with all these other connecting flights, I suspect there to be even more capacity.

• 1 month later...

Bad news for BDL trying to get Western MA and Boston area passengers.

More commercial airline service could be in store for Massachusetts' Worcester Regional Airport after the city agreed to sell the airport to the Massachusetts Port Authority. Massport has managed the airport for about a decade, but as owner, it would be free to upgrade the airport's facilities.

The agreement is scheduled to take effect July 1, pending the formal approval of the Worcester City Council.

"The fact is the city should not be running an airport. In terms of economic development and bringing jobs to the city, Massport has the expertise to bring in more airlines," Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray, who helped broker the deal, told the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was quick

Delta To End Bradley-LA Flight

By ERIC GERSHON

1:16 PM EDT, July 26, 2010

WINDSOR LOCKS —

Delta Air Lines today confirmed that it will cease direct, non-stop air service between Connecticut and Los Angeles as of Sept. 30 — the second time it has done so in two years. Delta spokesman Anthony Black said the airline decided to cut the route because anticipated passenger demand is not as strong in the months ahead. Delta resumed flying the Bradley-LAX route last June. It had cut a previous flight on the route on Sept. 30, 2008. Delta will offer connecting service to Los Angeles through Detroit and Minneapolis, Black said. That means passengers will need to swtich planes. Black said the airline would decide in November whether to try the route again next year.

• 3 months later...

JetBlue has officially begun service out of Bradley. Definitely a great thing for the region. Hopefully Bradley can continue to add flights and carriers. It would be nice to have AirTran come back as well and obviously I want to see non stop LA and trans-atlantic service resumed.

Hartford Business Journal

Low-cost air carrier JetBlue Airways landed its inaugural flight into Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks today, starting twice daily service between Connecticut and Fort Lauderdale and Orlando.

The JetBlue flights are the latest additions to a new list of flights that were added out of Bradley this year including Frontier Airlines flying to Milwaukee and Delta Air Lines adding service to Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, although the Los Angeles flight was discontinued in September.

JetBlue has officially begun service out of Bradley. Definitely a great thing for the region. Hopefully Bradley can continue to add flights and carriers. It would be nice to have AirTran come back as well and obviously I want to see non stop LA and trans-atlantic service resumed.

Low-cost air carrier JetBlue Airways landed its inaugural flight into Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks today, starting twice daily service between Connecticut and Fort Lauderdale and Orlando.

The JetBlue flights are the latest additions to a new list of flights that were added out of Bradley this year including Frontier Airlines flying to Milwaukee and Delta Air Lines adding service to Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, although the Los Angeles flight was discontinued in September.

Hopefully JetBlue within 2 years will be the largest carrier at Bradley as they are about to become in Boston, as this will result in atleast a total 25% passnger increase for the airport imho

This can't happen soon enough. Hopefully this will help make Bradley more competitive in a wide range of areas.

The question is no longer whether an independent Bradley Airport Authority will be established, it’s just a matter of how it is established, said State Sen. Gary LeBeau, D-East Hartford, chairman of the Commerce Committee. Some issues still need to be debated — such as whether the authority would have jurisdiction over the state’s seaports — and whether the changes will be incremental or all at once.

“You could do it in one big bite, which is much harder to swallow,” LeBeau said.

The issue will gain serious traction in the next legislative session starting in January, and chances of it passing are very good, said State Sen. John Kissel, R-Enfield. With the governor behind the issue — Malloy proposed a Bradley Airport Authority during his campaign — and the fact that the change can be made with no immediate funding increases, the issue should have broad support in the session.

“It is the second largest airport in New England, but outside of the immediate area, not a lot of people know about it,” Kissel said. “I’m not sure we are maximizing the full potential.”