Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Id totally agree if A-330s were their only long haul equipment

its not

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/companyprofile/fleet/boeing757/

they have leased aircraft that include 757-200 which include business class

this is as you stated much more realistic for BLD and honestly im glad I looked because I kinda lost hope there a monute.

the layout is 12 business and 168 econemy, some of those being an upgraded version of econ

• 1 month later...

I came across some interesting stats that made me think about true international travel from Bradley.

In Connecticut, there are nearly 200,000 foreign-born immigrants from Latin America; 25,000 Mexican, 20,000 Brazilian, 18,000 Ecuadorian, and 15,000 Dominicans. With those stats, I'm surprised there isn't a direct flight somewhere SOUTH other than Cancun for Spring-breakers.

Secondly, there are 32,000 from India and 28,000 from Poland (New Britain), which makes me wonder why there isn't a connection to Europe. All together there are upwards of 500,000 foreign-born immigrants living in CT with ZERO flights available to visit their families abroad, add to that the amount of foreign business that takes place and it makes me truly wonder about why we don't have at least one of the above mentioned flights.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the required amount of O&D passengers needed to sustain a flight? I ask because I was looking over some numbers and there are 10 cities that we don't connect to, but have 100+ people go to daily.

Greater Los Angeles - 449
San Francisco Bay - 302
Phoenix - 199
Nashville - 177
San Diego - 166
Seattle - 135
Austin - 132
New Orleans - 126
Indianapolis - 120
Jacksonville - 114

no clue, but it seems we are ripe for either LA or San Fran.

Jet blue serves both right, maybe we could snag a direct through them?

that would be awesome!

I mean if we had both that would have to give us additional prospects to Europe and it would be a huge help for our business travelers heading to the pacific rim.  the problem is that jet blue is not really a business airline

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the cargo numbers at the Rita site are correct. They say that the total amount for 2013 was 254,000,000 lbs. but I was checking the FAA website and their numbers put BDL at 773,000,000 lbs.....HUGE difference. Bradley clocks more cargo than some of the large airports.... Minneapolis, Orlando, and Detroit. How is it that we have more cargo than the Cargo Hubs of Fort Worth, Greensboro, and Columbia....and yet UPS doesn't consider us a Hub?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope soon, Bradley will get at least a flight to Jamaica and maybe to Poland. If the cricket hall of fame owners ever got serious and build a building (near the new baseball stadium) with a few pitches (fields) for tournaments maybe a few flights will help.

I've read that next to Chicago and New York, they are more Polish in CT.

I hope we'll see longer flights...

I hope soon, Bradley will get at least a flight to Jamaica and maybe to Poland. If the cricket hall of fame owners ever got serious and build a building (near the new baseball stadium) with a few pitches (fields) for tournaments maybe a few flights will help.

I've read that next to Chicago and New York, they are more Polish in CT.

I hope we'll see longer flights...

I see where you're coming from with this, however, not probable. I can counter your idea with a previously said one though....It makes A LOT more sense to have a flight to Frankfurt....Reason being is that Frankfurt flies direct to 9 cities within Poland....and for the most part they are scattered evenly across the country. It would also give the large Italian community ability to fly down to Rome/Milan/Naples etc. There's just more connectivity.

Now Jamaica, I could see a Summer Seasonal flight to MBJ working twice a week....for starters

Edited by CTnative4444

According to the Hartford Business Journal.  Bradley is looking to start service to Ireland through their national carrier.  The idea is to use 5 million as a cushion for potential losses. This is a common practice and has worked very well for the Pittsburgh airport to support their European routes. This is probably the practice that Bradley needs to follow.

Sawhill, I too think Aer Lingus would be a great addition to Bradley. As stated some months ago, it would probably be routed with their 757-200. I would LOVE for Bradley to be one of the 14 airports in the US that snags Ryanair, however, considering that they've already leaked that Chicago, Boston, and New York would be among the cities served....not looking too good.

Edited by CTnative4444

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Aer Lingus looks to be coming to Hartford.  

This is a great match since it was recently bought by BA which means it will likely be doing codeshares with AA and others. I think Aer Lingus is partnered with jet Blue, which may continue after the merger.  but im sure they will do code share on one world...

I really hope this comes to pass and that it sticks around long term.  Dublin has good connections in Europe, and BDL has pretty decent connections in the US on partner airlines 

AA and Jet Blue

http://onw.innosked.com/(S(pngecs552gfii055kcxl5r45))/Default.aspx?show=MAP

Don't know but USA Today reports the same September start up.

Hartford, Conn.

Aer Lingus’ Dublin-Hartford flights will launch Sept. 28 with one daily round-trip flight on Boeing 757 narrow-body aircraft. The new service is a boon for officials at Connecticut's Bradley International Airport, where Dublin will become the only trans-Atlantic flight on the current schedule. The Hartford Courant notes the “restoration of a trans-Atlantic flight has been a priority since the Connecticut Airport Authority was formed three years ago.”

Hartford, of course, is on the smaller side of markets able to boast of daily trans-Atlantic service on a large airline. But the Connecticut capital sits in the densely populated I-95 corridor between New York City and Boston, giving it a large "catchment area" to pull customers from.

"The key issue is it is a significant commercial metropolitan area, with a significant population and very high per-capita income, but it doesn't have a direct service to Europe," Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh says to the Independent for a story headlined: "Hartford, Connecticut: Six things to know about Aer Lingus's newest destination."