Bradley International Airport

SOCOM

Not true. My sister works for GSC in their travel department. The flight was started by American when they had a hub at RDU. While GSC uses the flights frequently, they don't buy blocks of seats as you say.

Not sure exactly how it works, but there is some form of agreement where GSC provides for a significant portion of the flights revenue(I know for a fact) , without it, the flight would be gone, and even with it, the flight's future has been in question.

does anyone know of any other companies in the Hartford area that are based in Europe or overseas that would support International service?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but my company, Chubb Insurance is global. We have offices in pretty much every European market. I'm pretty sure UTC does a good amount of business overseas as well, so does Stanley. Just to name a few with extensive global reach.

I know you skeptics out there will snub what I'm about to cut and paste, but whatever....

"I confirmed this original posting on friday, just slow to respond.

The original posting is correct with flight routings and a/c to be configured w/winglets and ETOPS. This has all been approved by marketing.

5644 is to be the first to be configured w/winglets in Sept.with another to follow. March 07 will be the start of 757 flying to Europe. IFE will comprise of hand held players.

5639-43, 5650 will be configured for Asia operations. To cover domestic operations and new TATL operations all 757 parked in MZJ will be returned to service (currently 11 757's). Great growth news for NWA!!!

e7plnr"

Got this from airliners.net

I know you skeptics out there will snub what I'm about to cut and paste, but whatever....

"I confirmed this original posting on friday, just slow to respond.

The original posting is correct with flight routings and a/c to be configured w/winglets and ETOPS. This has all been approved by marketing.

5644 is to be the first to be configured w/winglets in Sept.with another to follow. March 07 will be the start of 757 flying to Europe. IFE will comprise of hand held players.

5639-43, 5650 will be configured for Asia operations. To cover domestic operations and new TATL operations all 757 parked in MZJ will be returned to service (currently 11 757's). Great growth news for NWA!!!

e7plnr"

Got this from airliners.net

I do believe that NW is configuring some 757s for translantic use (AA and CO already have)....HOWEVER that said, there are only a handful of planes that will be getting them, meaning, only the more lucrative of lucrative will get them. I myself believe BDL-AMS is in fact on the drawing board, however, it still needs to make the final cut amoung many other potential routes.

Not true. My sister works for GSC in their travel department. The flight was started by American when they had a hub at RDU. While GSC uses the flights frequently, they don't buy blocks of seats as you say.

The flights did in fact start out when RDU was a "mainline" AA hub. However I have also heard many times that GSC buys a good amount of seats to justify AA staying in the RDU-London market.

quick little thing I've been wondering. I recently discovered that Newark Int'l has been having a Lufthansa(privatair)A319 cross the pond to Dusseldorf and a Swiss 737-800 to Zurich....now why in heavens name haven't we gotten anything like that? Those kind of planes could EASILY be full at BDL....

quick little thing I've been wondering. I recently discovered that Newark Int'l has been having a Lufthansa(privatair)A319 cross the pond to Dusseldorf and a Swiss 737-800 to Zurich....now why in heavens name haven't we gotten anything like that? Those kind of planes could EASILY be full at BDL....

Not exactly...those planes are all business class with fares ranging from $5,000-$10,000

Fares like that would make the plane MUCH harder to fill!

if it was all coach, then yes it would be the perfect plane. Hopefully Boeings 737 replacement which will come out 2012-2016 timeframe will be small enough, with the range to open up mid-sized US cities to more European cities.

Trans-Atlanta flights normally have threee classes. British Airway offers four classes. The first class and "club" or business class cabins usuallu only have a few seas.

between two and three classes is very common, though coach class is still the bulk of the seats (maybe not the revenue though)

Also....I mean this in the nicest and most freindly of ways, but are the typos directly correlated to your username? :silly:

This is thinking really postive, but if we really get the BDL-AMS flight, ING really might think about moving the American HQ from ATL to Hartford like we've been trying to convince them to do.

If Connecticut builds on the momentum it's got going for it now, and after the commuter rail is in decides to put in a street car or light rail system for the capital city, it could end up being a real good place. I really hope they scrap that stupid rapid bus transit idea and just use the rails that are already in place.

If Connecticut builds on the momentum it's got going for it now, and after the commuter rail is in decides to put in a street car or light rail system for the capital city, it could end up being a real good place. I really hope they scrap that stupid rapid bus transit idea and just use the rails that are already in place.

Me too, they should run commuter rail all the way from Hartford to New Britain and on to Waterbury as yet another link to Metro North.

This is thinking really postive, but if we really get the BDL-AMS flight, ING really might think about moving the American HQ from ATL to Hartford like we've been trying to convince them to do.

That would be great for Hartford, but since Atlanta already has direct service to Amsterdam what would motivate them to make such a move? Also, if non-stop service would be a definite step up for a potential HQ move for the company....why wouldn't they consider Minneapolis or New York over Hartford....both with multiple non-stop flights to Amsterdam. Don't get me wrong....I'd love for ING to move their HQ to Hartford....just asking a few questions.

Side note....isn't ING moving across the river to the planned Rentschler development?

That would be great for Hartford, but since Atlanta already has direct service to Amsterdam what would motivate them to make such a move? Also, if non-stop service would be a definite step up for a potential HQ move for the company....why wouldn't they consider Minneapolis or New York over Hartford....both with multiple non-stop flights to Amsterdam. Don't get me wrong....I'd love for ING to move their HQ to Hartford....just asking a few questions.

Side note....isn't ING moving across the river to the planned Rentschler development?

Well, the only thing making Hartford viable for this is the fact that they are already here. I would imagine that ING's Greater Hartford workforce is one of the largest if not the largest outside of Atlanta in the US. So that's a plus. Second, Hartford may be cheaper than Atlanta. I know Atlanta's in the south, but there's nothing cheap about it's upscale areas. I mean, I admitted it's wishful thinking. However, Hartford officials and business leaders have been trying to make it happen for a while. So maybe if the pot is sweet enough........

Is there any chance of Delta or any other airline bringing back some heavies to BDL? I know we still have the AA A300 to San Juan, but I miss the 767-300's from Delta. Will they ever be brought back via ATL? I want more heavies damn it! what are the chances people and from where!?

Is there any chance of Delta or any other airline bringing back some heavies to BDL? I know we still have the AA A300 to San Juan, but I miss the 767-300's from Delta. Will they ever be brought back via ATL? I want more heavies damn it! what are the chances people and from where!?

Pretty doubtful, considering the 757s are even becomming rare, i dont even think the 757 flies BDL-ATL anymore. Many DL 763s have been converted for international use. The airlines strategy is reducing capacity by shifting to smaller planes as older aircraft get retired, smaller planes = fuller planes = higher revenue.

In addition, losy legacy airlines (for non aviation folks, legacy means older traditional airlines) AA UA DL CO NW are shifting to an international focus from their hubs. Minimal growth from these airlines domestically would be considered the best you can get. The vast majority of domestic growth for airports like BDL will come in the ability to attract more service from airlines like Southwest, Air Tran, Jet Blue, Frontier, Spirit, etc....

Pretty doubtful, considering the 757s are even becomming rare, i dont even think the 757 flies BDL-ATL anymore. Many DL 763s have been converted for international use. The airlines strategy is reducing capacity by shifting to smaller planes as older aircraft get retired, smaller planes = fuller planes = higher revenue.

In addition, losy legacy airlines (for non aviation folks, legacy means older traditional airlines) AA UA DL CO NW are shifting to an international focus from their hubs. Minimal growth from these airlines domestically would be considered the best you can get. The vast majority of domestic growth for airports like BDL will come in the ability to attract more service from airlines like Southwest, Air Tran, Jet Blue, Frontier, Spirit, etc....

The 757 still does fly BDL-ATL, but it's not year round. I understand what you're saying about capacity and higher revenue though. I also recognize that hubs like Detroit, Newark, JFK, and Washington are expanding Internationally with their hub legacy airlines....Continental with EWR-DEL, EWR-PVG, EWR-BCN....Delta with JFK-KBP, and United with possibles IAD-CAN, and IAD-KWI. However, with this being fact, how is BDL suppose to expand into new markets controlled by legacy airlines (SFO, DEN, SEA) if those airlines aren't focusing towards domestic expansion? I know that Delta just went through a sizeable domestic expansion and that the Hartford area has a very sizeable Delta FF base, but I highly doubt we'll see Delta announce BDL-SFO, BDL-DEN, BDL-SEA....even though that would be awesome! With those additions BDL would practically become a focus city for Delta lol, but bringing it back to the practical, I suppose if anything we could see JetBlue start BDL-OAK, Frontier could start BDL-DEN, and Southwest start BDL-SEA. I wouldn't mind seeing Southwest start BDL-SAT either. Attracting Air Tran....AGAIN....is unlikely considering they left BDL years ago due to low pax numbers. Not to mention that their base of operations (ATL) and focus cities (PHL, BWI, MCO, CAK, and MDW) are with the exception of CAK....served and already controlled by other airlines, which leaves almost no room for any type of growth. I highly doubt there's need for BDL-CAK though....lol

The 757 still does fly BDL-ATL, but it's not year round. I understand what you're saying about capacity and higher revenue though. I also recognize that hubs like Detroit, Newark, JFK, and Washington are expanding Internationally with their hub legacy airlines....Continental with EWR-DEL, EWR-PVG, EWR-BCN....Delta with JFK-KBP, and United with possibles IAD-CAN, and IAD-KWI. However, with this being fact, how is BDL suppose to expand into new markets controlled by legacy airlines (SFO, DEN, SEA) if those airlines aren't focusing towards domestic expansion? I know that Delta just went through a sizeable domestic expansion and that the Hartford area has a very sizeable Delta FF base, but I highly doubt we'll see Delta announce BDL-SFO, BDL-DEN, BDL-SEA....even though that would be awesome! With those additions BDL would practically become a focus city for Delta lol, but bringing it back to the practical, I suppose if anything we could see JetBlue start BDL-OAK, Frontier could start BDL-DEN, and Southwest start BDL-SEA. I wouldn't mind seeing Southwest start BDL-SAT either. Attracting Air Tran....AGAIN....is unlikely considering they left BDL years ago due to low pax numbers. Not to mention that their base of operations (ATL) and focus cities (PHL, BWI, MCO, CAK, and MDW) are with the exception of CAK....served and already controlled by other airlines, which leaves almost no room for any type of growth. I highly doubt there's need for BDL-CAK though....lol

Delta does have a good FF base at BDL, unfortunately, other airlines see that and will choose to persue interests elsewhere. The strong FF base with DL having 6 mainline (no 757s this summer) and 1 RJ on the ATL route is huge deterant for Air Tran, despite the market having good #'s, with the strong FF base, Air Tran knows Delta will match and the FF's will stay with Delta. BDL may have gotten a little spoiled by Delta, sicne Delta is still in the process of shrinking. The seat count at BDL has actually decreased on DL, with the route offerings expanding, mostly thanks to red-eye flying, these flights would likely not exist if they were not red-eyes. While LAX, LAS and SLC were added, ATL has gone from 10 daily ATL and 4 daily CVG mainline (many 757s and 767s) to 6 ATL mainline and 2 CVG mainline with the largest aircraft being a 737-800, and then 3 regional jets mixed in. As mentioned Delta will continue to shrink through this fall (retiring all 737-200's by Sept) so after that the Delta picture may be more clear.

My professional oppinion is that Delta will reduce seat capacity in Florida next, either smaller airplanes or less frequency, however, for BDL this could lead to someone else adding seats.

Jet Blue wouldnt open a BDL station for OAK. With no feeder service on either end, and a low market share at both airports, the route would severely underperform. OAK still isnt THAT big for Jet Blue. Delta's Florida service is keeping other Low fare airlines at bay, since Delta provides just enough seats to make a 2nd airline not really viable, though if Delta cuts back, it opens the door for an airline like Jet Blue to offer Florida services.

Southwest seems to have been only moderately sucessful at BDL. They have not grown the station at BDL like they have other airports pointing to limited demand, the DL FF base may play in here. This is further evidenced by Southwest cutting their PHL flights from 5 to 4, and recently down to only 3 daily, where PVD is getting a 6th flight in July. With that, i highly doubt Southwest will be looking at SEA or SAT anytime soon. Southwest still doesnt offer service to Phoenix, which is one of their largest cities, and practically a hub for them.

Delta does have a good FF base at BDL, unfortunately, other airlines see that and will choose to persue interests elsewhere. The strong FF base with DL having 6 mainline (no 757s this summer) and 1 RJ on the ATL route is huge deterant for Air Tran, despite the market having good #'s, with the strong FF base, Air Tran knows Delta will match and the FF's will stay with Delta. BDL may have gotten a little spoiled by Delta, sicne Delta is still in the process of shrinking. The seat count at BDL has actually decreased on DL, with the route offerings expanding, mostly thanks to red-eye flying, these flights would likely not exist if they were not red-eyes. While LAX, LAS and SLC were added, ATL has gone from 10 daily ATL and 4 daily CVG mainline (many 757s and 767s) to 6 ATL mainline and 2 CVG mainline with the largest aircraft being a 737-800, and then 3 regional jets mixed in. As mentioned Delta will continue to shrink through this fall (retiring all 737-200's by Sept) so after that the Delta picture may be more clear.

My professional oppinion is that Delta will reduce seat capacity in Florida next, either smaller airplanes or less frequency, however, for BDL this could lead to someone else adding seats.

Jet Blue wouldnt open a BDL station for OAK. With no feeder service on either end, and a low market share at both airports, the route would severely underperform. OAK still isnt THAT big for Jet Blue. Delta's Florida service is keeping other Low fare airlines at bay, since Delta provides just enough seats to make a 2nd airline not really viable, though if Delta cuts back, it opens the door for an airline like Jet Blue to offer Florida services.

Southwest seems to have been only moderately sucessful at BDL. They have not grown the station at BDL like they have other airports pointing to limited demand, the DL FF base may play in here. This is further evidenced by Southwest cutting their PHL flights from 5 to 4, and recently down to only 3 daily, where PVD is getting a 6th flight in July. With that, i highly doubt Southwest will be looking at SEA or SAT anytime soon. Southwest still doesnt offer service to Phoenix, which is one of their largest cities, and practically a hub for them.

I get what you're saying about the red-eye flights. I also get where you're coming from concerning OAK, but I only mentioned OAK because it seems SFO is out of reach. We used to have a daily UA A320 flight to both SFO and DEN Pre-911, but it never started up again after flights were returned to 'normal'. I think that Delta will be butting back seats to both Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, which could open up some space for a JetBlue E90 to each....maybe! I didn't know about SWA cutting back to PHL though. Does it have something to do with US Airways/ Air Wisconsin owning that market? Also, compared to PVD how many US flight are there to PHL. Maybe, they have more SWA flights because there aren't as many US flights. SWA should have had a PHX flight a while ago, but haven't. A 737-700 would do the trick....just like it does for LAS. Side note....in your opinion is there ANY room for growth at BDL? new markets? potential seasonal service?

I get what you're saying about the red-eye flights. I also get where you're coming from concerning OAK, but I only mentioned OAK because it seems SFO is out of reach. We used to have a daily UA A320 flight to both SFO and DEN Pre-911, but it never started up again after flights were returned to 'normal'. I think that Delta will be butting back seats to both Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, which could open up some space for a JetBlue E90 to each....maybe! I didn't know about SWA cutting back to PHL though. Does it have something to do with US Airways/ Air Wisconsin owning that market? Also, compared to PVD how many US flight are there to PHL. Maybe, they have more SWA flights because there aren't as many US flights. SWA should have had a PHX flight a while ago, but haven't. A 737-700 would do the trick....just like it does for LAS. Side note....in your opinion is there ANY room for growth at BDL? new markets? potential seasonal service?

US has slightly more seats at PVD compared to BDL, though with American west added in, it may tip slightly back to BDL.

The main areas for gwoth at BDL will likely be in the form of regional jet point-to-point service as these airlines look for routes to put RJs on. the recent additions of CMH and IND are examples of this trend. Other possibilities include MEM, JAX, and SRQ.

Any west coast additions will be in the form of red eyes. The LAS and LAX flights should be ok for now, but will likely be to the chopping block if Delta has higher priorities (ATL, NYC, BOS, FLA) for the aircraft should their fleet get constrained.

DEN mainline will likely return sometime in the next 1-2 years since competition is heating up there, but really that will be the only real mainline addition.

For the low-cost airlines its tough

Jet Blue - Proximity to JFK and BOS makes it hard to tie into their network

Air Tran - Delta high FF base is a huge deterant

Southwest - has shown signs of medoucre success, Southwest has lots of other priorities at this point

Frontier - Supposedly they were ready to announce BDL, but canceled those plans when WN announced DEN and turned up the competitive heat, I havent heard fo the idea being revisisted since. Distance from BOS also takes away from BDL's appeal as a BOS alternative sicne they pulled out of BOS.

Spirit - MAYBE 1 FLL flight as the airline looks to feed their caribean network, though AA already performs this function via MIA, which PVD doesnt have, and could be why they have NK (Spirit).

Summary for the next few years:

More RJs

DEN returns

Same or reduced service on legacy airlines and smaller aircraft

Potential 1-2 new Low-cost operators

If lucky 1 757 across the pond (AMS/CDG/LON)