70 story hotel/condo tower proposed

bobliocatt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that simply because architects are based out of South Florida that they will incorporate only South Florida elements. How likely is it that someone from Miami would just design a project of this scope while disregarding the project site and attributes specific to Jacksonville? There are notable buildings designed by locals which aren't too inspiring. I don't think Jacksonville has a modern style as definitive as South Florida, so maybe they will influence local architects to create something new and not so bland.

I just wished everyone would stop complaining about the architecture concerning this project especially if the design follows something right out of Miami. I'm sorry to say it but its just human nature to whine and moan about something that is new because we are so accustomed to the original!!! I know definitely that if this "proposed up to 70 stories tower" comes to fruition and takes the style right out of Miami, then it definitely does not fit the architecture we have had in downtown in the past decades since they have been erected.

People just need to realize that our downtown is going through a revitalization period and it can only get better!!! Not to mention, assuming nothing terrible happens, but a few more centennials and we will probably have a futuristic skyline comprised of buildings that we have only seen in movies and what not. The best known example I can think of is the City of Dubai in the U.A.E.!

All I have to say is that hopefully this building will get built (although it'll probably be the tallest thing in the city in the middle of nowhere), but it just might be the necessary "spark" our downtown needs in getting more highrises than the current 30-51 story, of which most projects are right now. After all, our downtown is the only "major city" DT w/out any height limits; if so, who knows, we might be the first city to get a 1,000 footer (if not, 2nd city behind Miami). I don't even think Orlando (definitely not for now b/c of their height limits), nor does Tampa have anything of this magnitude proposed right? I know Tampa might have a shot but so far I do not think I have heard of one.

From what I have read, I believe the main building will be comprised of "up to 70 stories" with the parking garage (comprising 14 floors) attached to the building via 1st & 14th floors of the parking garage, am I correct? If this is so, then it would be even better if the parking garage is underneath the building!!!

In conclusion, people just need to get over this whole "architectural ordeal"... GET OVER IT!!! Also, I believe out skyline will be comprised of 4 sections: Northbank, Southbank, Riverside, and Sports Area (what do we call this region officially anyways???)

I just wished everyone would stop complaining about the architecture concerning this project especially if the design follows something right out of Miami.

Hooray for your passion! I think we're all excited about the increased activity and want a product that is truly great. The only design I can think of that would scream "Jacksonville" would be a 70-story Ford pickup on its side with a Confederate flag. Or maybe a 70-story Skoal can.

Git 'er done!

P.S. I like the Las Olas Riverhouse and other buildings in South Florida. I also like the richly colored brick structures in New England.

I agree this would be more exciting if it were in the CBD. As it is, it might give the skyline a real distorted view which is what happened in Detriot as mentioned above.

There is another article about it at this link. Something about this deal doesn't sound exactly right and I will be interested to see how it progresses. I would rather see Jacksonville build more for city living, than something that looks like it belongs on miami beach. The architect that has been named for the project mostly builds condos in S. Fla. and I don't want to see Jax converted to the same type of situation.

Here are some examples.

rendering-perspective.jpg

OceanFour.jpg

im not trying to make a big deal out of your comments..but what do you mean by "i don't want to see jax converted into the same type of situation?

Sports Area (what do we call this region officially anyways???)

Good question. It would be nice to have an official name for that part of downtown, rather than the generic "Sports District"... Any ideas? Perhaps this 70 story tower could anchor the area, and provide its namesake. Or name it after the Veterans Memorial park...

I like the idea of four distinct areas, each with their own character. Again, my only concern is for good connectivity between "districts". Maybe better River Taxi and Skyway service??

I love north Florida, and I generally can't stand development and change, but I think we all need to accept that this is best for our city!! Living in St. John's County, I'm surrounded by urban sprawl, and seeing a 70-story condo tower being built downtown just takes that much away from the people moving to the suburbs. We really need to quit gripin' about the architecture, too. I know that here in Jacksonville we're used to simple boxy architecture, but I think it's about time we get some curve and exciting design into that skyline! Also, when Landmar gets off its behind and builds some towers on The Shipyards there won't really be too much of a gap (though still some) between the CBD and the sports complex when it comes to high-rise towers. And who knows? Maybe Kuhn has his eye on some of the CBD land for a project of equal size!

The 70 story tower seems like a good idea for the city but I am skeptical because the article doesn't really say much about what the architects and developers are doing to make the project go through. Maybe it is because of the other projects that are on hold or have fallen through that lead me to that belief. I will definitely keep tabs on it though.

im not trying to make a big deal out of your comments..but what do you mean by "i don't want to see jax converted into the same type of situation?

I think that Jacksonville deserves to have more than a bunch of independent highrises that have litte else to do with building up the character of the city. This is the big problem that I see in the Miami area and I am afraid that developments like this are moving us into the same direction.

I just wished everyone would stop complaining about the architecture concerning this project especially if the design follows something right out of Miami. I'm sorry to say it but its just human nature to whine and moan about something that is new because we are so accustomed to the original!!! I know definitely that if this "proposed up to 70 stories tower" comes to fruition and takes the style right out of Miami, then it definitely does not fit the architecture we have had in downtown in the past decades since they have been erected.

People just need to realize that our downtown is going through a revitalization period and it can only get better!!! Not to mention, assuming nothing terrible happens, but a few more centennials and we will probably have a futuristic skyline comprised of buildings that we have only seen in movies and what not. The best known example I can think of is the City of Dubai in the U.A.E.!

All I have to say is that hopefully this building will get built (although it'll probably be the tallest thing in the city in the middle of nowhere), but it just might be the necessary "spark" our downtown needs in getting more highrises than the current 30-51 story, of which most projects are right now. After all, our downtown is the only "major city" DT w/out any height limits; if so, who knows, we might be the first city to get a 1,000 footer (if not, 2nd city behind Miami). I don't even think Orlando (definitely not for now b/c of their height limits), nor does Tampa have anything of this magnitude proposed right? I know Tampa might have a shot but so far I do not think I have heard of one.

From what I have read, I believe the main building will be comprised of "up to 70 stories" with the parking garage (comprising 14 floors) attached to the building via 1st & 14th floors of the parking garage, am I correct? If this is so, then it would be even better if the parking garage is underneath the building!!!

In conclusion, people just need to get over this whole "architectural ordeal"... GET OVER IT!!! Also, I believe out skyline will be comprised of 4 sections: Northbank, Southbank, Riverside, and Sports Area (what do we call this region officially anyways???)

i'm with ya dude, almost any other city in the country would be jumping for joy at this project. i'm sure charlotte would be glad to snag it if jax does not want it. even if it does not come to fruition, i think the developer deserves props for the effort.

I just can't imagine that the floor heights would be that small. Seems like they are missing the boat. 8' cielings are not luxurious enough for the prices they will be commanding to live in this building. From a sales and quality of life perspective it just doesn't make sense. They need to take a step back and think about this.

Most new residential highrise developments in cities such as Miami & Atlanta are going with 9' minimum cieling heights, with upper-end units topping out and anywhere from 10'-13'. This builder needs to consider this and either scale back the floors to accomodate this or just build taller. Personally, I vote for the latter. Make a statement. Go 800'+ with this thing.

Like I said, to me this sounds more visionary than real. The renderings look kind of childish to me. Since I am studying architecture now, I have seen some decent renderings. This just looks like someone decided to fiddle with auto cad for a while. I dont know...maybe I am just suspicious since some of our city's other projects have fallen through.

I would agree with Wolfdawg... these renderings look like something my 12-year-old sister would do. They also look like a carbon-copy residential version of 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta. While that's a beautiful building... why build almost the same thing all over again? Zero originality to those renderings what-so-ever.

Would I be glad to have this building in Jax? Absolutely. Could they do better? Without a doubt. They could do better in design, and they also NEED to do better with interior cieling heights. They are making a HUGE mistake if they go with 8' cielings. HUGE. This is not the "height Nazi" in me coming out wanting a taller building (well, yes it is, maybe just a little)... it's more of a plea to the developer not to handcuff themselves by building homes with short cielings.

Are you going to pay half a million dollars to live in a high-rise condo where you hit your head on the cieling fan when you walk through the living room? I didn't think so. Come on guys, you can do better than this!!!

My grandparents live in a high rise condo on the Ortega River (they ahve an awesome view bc they are on one of the upper floors), but their ceilings are 8 or 9', and they seem a bit short for anything, let alone "luxury" condos 70 floors up for millions.

By the way, it isn't too often that one gets a hold of blue print designs so early on with a development, maybe, and most likely, these are just drafts that would be built on. I am just speculating, and hoping they are.

I just heard some inside news that this CAD is actually just a basic skeletal design (preliminary) and does not do an excellent job at representing the actual building. The real deal WILL, i repeat WILL have higher ceilings in the 10-11' range. WHen I get further notice and maybe some hard facts (and images) I will post, but until then do not bash this project. I take back everything I have said because now I know that the CAD designs were just quick representations. :blush:

Archived