70 story hotel/condo tower proposed

bobliocatt

I would be a big fan of new, professional renderings of this building. Any idea of when we should be expecting them?

Also, did I miss the topic here where the St. John's Village cluster of buildings all added about 12-15 stories? We are now talking about THREE 48-story, 565' buildings over there now, along with a 42-story & 40-story building. Wow.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be a big fan of new, professional renderings of this building. Any idea of when we should be expecting them?

Also, did I miss the topic here where the St. John's Village cluster of buildings all added about 12-15 stories? We are now talking about THREE 48-story, 565' buildings over there now, along with a 42-story & 40-story building. Wow.

name= kkpugh726 I heard only one tower increased from 40 to 48 stories not sure about the others.

All three were increased... and not from 40 stories, but from 35 stories. Original plans called for 35, 35, 35, 30 & 28 story towers. New floor counts are to be 48, 48, 48, 42 & 40. Overall shift from 1,500 units to just over 2,000 units.

They must be getting a fairly spectacular response to enlarge the development so.

Well, it does follow a trend...

The Vue was originally scheduled to be a 13-story office building, but now it's a 40-story condo tower.

The St. John was originally scheduled to be 43 stories, but is now 51 stories.

Now a new, 70-story condo/hotel tower. 70 stories? In Jax? Are you KIDDING ME???

Now you have this huge increase for this development...

35 stories to 48 stories (x3)

30 stories to 42 stories

28 stories to 40 stoties

Do we notice a trend here? Downtown living in Jax is (or at least soon will be) hot!

Personally, I am in a position to possibly accept a promotion/transfer from Atlanta down to Jax later this year... and although I will probably initially take an apartment, my desire is to move into one of these new buildings. Growing up in Jax as a kid, I love the rennassaince that my hometown is undergoing!

Given the recent announcements of all these projects along with their revisions, I would not be surprised if Jacksonville was the runner-up after Miami, if not the first city in the State of Florida to have the first 1,000 footer!!!

I know Miami has some projects already listed in the 800ft. range, but I do know that Miami has a height restriction which could dampen the likelihood of any buildings surpassing the 900ft. mark. Though, Jacksonville seems to be chugging along with a majority of all our new "residential" projects averaging around 40-50 floors at a height in the neighborhoods of 450-550ft (only half 1,000ft)!!! Furthermore, let us hope that the St. John's Hotel and Residences by Alltel Stadium will encompass the 10-11 ft. floor to height ratio per floor, which in turn, assuming it is about 70 floors, would make it to around 700-800ft. tall also...

I just wonder what "new towers" a recent report mentioned could be referring to that we do not know about? I am speculating that it might be a revised version of THE SHIPYARDS!!! If these so called "new towers" refer to the shipyards, then it would definitely compliment the St. Johns and the yet revealed "70" story building!!!

When is Berkman Plaza II going to get rolling?

I cannot wait to see all those high-rise cranes dotting our skyline this year!!!

Jacksonville is a long, long way off from getting a 1,000 footer.

I think only 4 or 5 cities in the US even have a 1,000 footer currently, and the smallest of those is Atlanta with over 4 times the population of Jacksonville.

I'd settle for a couple of good 500-700 footers right now to build some density and expand what we've got right now. A 1,000-footer in Jax would look out of place right now, I think.

The mere fact that our skyline is going to TRIPLE in size in the next FOUR years should be enough to impress anyone! Think about that. Triple in four years. Wow.

Well, it is just that I believe that Jacksonville is the next frontier in Florida as what that person said that is building the St. Johns Hotel & Residences. Furthermore, I think Jacksonville as you might say is the sleeping giant of the major cities in Florida... people are just now discovering what Jacksonville has to offer and eventually, all of these will culminate into what increases our popularity!

I honestly am just waiting to hear news of a new office tower (besides the Landing one and 323 W Adams). That to me would be better than yet another residential (although I'll take anything, it's just that I don't want another skyline like Miami that is predominantly residential).

There are two schools of thought on this matter...

School of Thought # 1: Jacksonville is long over-due for a new office tower downtown.

School of Thought # 2: Jacksonville can't lease out all the office tower space they currently have downtown.

Both are (in a way) legitimate viewpoints. I really think that Jacksonville's next Fortune 500 company that moves into the area could spearhead a building of this nature, but we'll have to see. I think all the residential development is a good thing for the city, and will be 95% of the new towers you see going up in the next 10-15 years. Just my opinion, of course.

Dale where did you hear they would break ground next month, they just put their web site up and this would be great news, but I don't see it happening. The Peninsula is just starting (cranes are being built) and that took forever.

The Peninsula took forever because they had to redesign the foundation. There was an old barge buried below the site. Instead of digging it up, they had to bridge the foundation over it.

Dale where did you hear they would break ground next month, they just put their web site up and this would be great news, but I don't see it happening. The Peninsula is just starting (cranes are being built) and that took forever.

Right after the piroject resurfaced, last Fall, I think, March was given as the start date. Can't remember whether it was the T-U or the JBJ.

In any case, as I always say, there's 'time' and there's 'developer's time'.

9'-4" floor-to-floor heights are a little low for luxury condos. Assuming this building is post-tensioned concrete, they'll probably have 8" thick slabs. That means the ceiling heights in the open areas will be 8'-8" high. It has lower ceilings than the Strand, and it's an apartment building. The dropped ceilings and soffits for duct work and such will be as low as 7'-4", if not a little lower. I'm thinking they'll take a look at their competition and raise their cielings during the DD phase.

Though I cannot wait for the final rendering of the final product, I wanted to ask, when will the developer submit the plans for this project as far as final design, etc?

Furthermore, would this project break ground late this year or next year?

Is this project so far a go-ahead as far as the developer being dedicated in constructing it?

It just seems like our current administration and what not is just trying to impede or slow down our construction boom, i.e. The Landing, etc...

More like control so they can feel more powerful.Any other city in our position would be jumping at these chances we are getting. I really feel this propsal will never happen because of the DRC.The developer has bought the land so we will have to see. Its to bad that this building is not downtown though where its most needed,I hope its built though.

Alright, Jacksonville Florida will have a Bold and New signature tower....

Residents should be proud...welcome to the world of relevance!

However,...

There is one thing that I would like to say on behalf of my hometown Miami,. Will yall PLEASE stop comparing yourselves to us and using us as a measuring stick. It's flattering that you all look to Downtown Miami as the proverbial "bar" that has been set in the state of Florida, BUT,..

On the other hand.....

Jacksonville seems to be finally making use of its biggest asset, the St. Johns River. Besides those who are terribly fearful of development, there is a good chance that downtown Jacksonville could see unprecedented development along its Southbank and Sports/Entertainment areas. The hottest trend going these days are waterfront high-rise living, whether its at the beach or near a large body of water.

Archived