Place Properties Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can definately see that. Especially now that CC is under construction... that road is going to be real nice riding thru the Southwood area. I really want to see more shopping pop up along SE Capital Circle. New Developments similar to the Governor's marketplace.

Im assuming that is the new Publix shopping center? If not, when does that open? i cant wait for Panera!

I know I've drifted off topic a bit... but returning to the subject of downtown development, what type of impact do you all think this Place Properties apartment building will have on student life?

To the "average" student, it wont particularly matter, IMO. It will probably be a bit more expensive than typical "college apartments.' It could possibly be attractive to the upper class Dad's who dont want their little girls living in apartments.

P.S. (edited to show updated score at the half!) Miami down 20-3!!! Go Gators! ;)

I know I've drifted off topic a bit... but returning to the subject of downtown development, what type of impact do you all think this Place Properties apartment building will have on student life?

it depends on the draws that they bring in for the ground floor retail there and down the street.

Miami got stomped into the ground. Back to the topic, Place Properties will have a positive impact on student life because it will get more students to live in the city center, they'll be close to campus, and increase spending in the business district. Since students won't have to drive to campus, they can easily use the bus to get to their classes. FSU & FAMU are 2 blocks south of the city center so a lot of students can just take the bus and leave their cars home. What nightlife the center city does have, students can take advantage of that.

Say we're right. Say these properties do bring students closer to school and reduce the commuter population substantially... then what? What happens to Campus Lodge and University Grove, and Melrose Place, and Jefferson Commons and other student housing complexes further from the campuses? Do they fold or do they sell families at an affordable price. Because of these apartments are quite large and would make very comfortable housing options for single families.

What happens to Campus Lodge and University Grove, and Melrose Place, and Jefferson Commons and other student housing complexes further from the campuses? Do they fold or do they sell families at an affordable price. Because of these apartments are quite large and would make very comfortable housing options for single families.

I don't think the quality is there for marketing 'retired' student housing to first-time home buyers. For the most part these are cheaply made, wood-frame apartment blocks with a realistic life-span of 30 to 40 years. They are the apartment equivalent of 'manufactured homes.' If the property owners are sincerely interested in selling units, the price for a medium-sized apartment (900-1200 sf.) would have to be very low (60K-100K), because there is virtually no chance of any real appreciation (i.e. like a used car, these apartments would sell for less than their purchase price [adjusted for inflation.]) I'm not even sure that you could get an affordable mortgage for this type of property (multiple family, depreciating.)

I'd love to see this day come when these mentioned apartments would no longer be in fashion. That all the FSU/FAMU students will want to live near downtown and their campuses would be excellent news.

I agree with P_McLane that these apartments are just too "cheap" to become condos for families. I'd think they'd first become low-income rentals and then finally be demolished for hopefully better in-fill housing for the residents of our fair city.

I agree with you both. Although, I've been inside some of these apartments and some are quite large (2000+ sq.ft.) of course these are the 4Br 4Ba units. I've always hated the concept of building these 4/4, 3/3 style apartments because as a person hunting for an apartment I've never wanted to live with anyone else. But I guess these are perfect for students who have friends they want to live with.

I think, with the way Tallahassee is designed with the Downtown as the core and the campuses on the edges, moving our students into high-density, downtown apartment buildings is in the best interest of Tallahassee. Single families could reclaim the declining SW area of town, and the infiltration into the NW can be halted, and the downtown could benifit from the presence of the extra people.

Affordability is going to be the biggest drawback for downtown living with students.

Booth probably wont want to sell cheap with the Tennyson, Gameday, and Kleman Plaza getting market price and above for units. A majority of students live in the 4/4, etc b/c they are affordable.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

What happens to Campus Lodge and University Grove, and Melrose Place, and Jefferson Commons and other student housing complexes further from the campuses? Do they fold or do they sell families at an affordable price? Because these apartments are quite large and would make very comfortable housing options for single families.

You answered your own question. If students take advantage of downtown living, then Campus Lodge, University Grove and other student housing projects would have no reason to fold, as they could be used to house single families and young professionals. They could also be rented out to low-income people/families, provided the complexes would not be used for criminal purposes.

Couldn't Jefferson Commons, Jefferson Pointe, etc. coexist with the new student housing? FSU's student body has been growing lately, right? Also, those apartments cater to TCC students as well as FSU & FAMU. I find it hard to believe that these new apartments would even be built if their developers felt that they would have to steal away all of their residents from other apartment complexes.

I guess too I don't perceive those places as being all that far from FSU. My wife lived in Jefferson Commons before we got married. She worked at FSU and it was just a quick drive through French Town to get to campus.

You answered your own question.

Not necessarily. My suggestion that the apartments currently in use by students in the future be used by single families is only one option. Yes, some of the apartments are nice, but as Poonther, and P. McLane pointed out there are other possibilities.

If those properties were never built what would you all build in their place, if anything... specifically Campus Lodge seeing as how close it is to I-10.

The Campus Lodge property would have been better used as an office site. It sits next-door to the new Fringe Benefits office building and not far from the Taxol Builidng out that way. This would have been a prime location for a spec building. I'm sure the neighbors would have gripped about the traffic that it would have brought, but I'm sure it would have been less frequent (peak times mainly) than the large apartment complex. I think it would have been less noisy too. Too bad this high profile site was "wasted" on student housing and so so far from the campuses in town. That's not the place for students IMO.

I could see office use there. There should probably a road connecting Monroe and Old Bainbridge to ease thru traffic flow and take pressure off of the little residential streets (Lang and others).

Looking at the Coppertop Building at old Exit 28, this could have been a similar development... something to bring a little more attention to the city from I-10. I like what they've done with the Holiday Inn and the other hotels in that area. This spot might have been prime for another hotel or maybe an Outlet Shopping Center with a restaurant or two... it would look nice sititng up on that hill and help us to pull some revenue off of the interstate.

Heritage grove would be fine. the walkability and bikability is still there and pensicola is revitalizing to to give some night life to the west end for the kids to stay. I think there will be enough growth to occupy everything of quality. Hopefully it will cause the bulldozering of all those crappy apartment complexes you have mentioned. ick. i deliver and there are some nasties. not hotel should ever be converted again, i mean it.

no hotel should ever be converted again, i mean it.

I absolutely agree with you CMurphy. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they are trying to charge us college students $500 a month to live in these cement block, former hotel rooms. Sure, I've got A/C but its not central... there's a unit in the living room that literally hangs out of the window, and I've got a big pipe thru my living room wall into my bedroom? You call that luxury!? Its not even nice. Then there's the fact that you've literally got only two rooms in your apartment, a living room/kitchen/storage area/computer room/unusable space then you've got your bed room/closet/bathroom. What is that. I miss the walls, I miss turning corners and walking down hallways.

'

Look at this new place they're calling University Lofts... what is that... Tallahassee's First Urban Living Complex" they call it. Give me a break! Its no different than Carolina Oaks, or any of these other Cement Block places.... matter of fact its worse because they are actually trying to charge nearly $600 a month for a studio apartment that has a bathroom so small I could hardly sit down on the toilet on without my knees touching the doors and a closet I know a person wouldn't be able to put a single pair of shoes in. Its sad people!

Just tear down the place, and start new. Very few things built in the 60s and 70s are worth holding on to.

Archived