Place Properties Tallahassee

Florida

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Campus Lodge was never built, I would build a nice strip mall out in that area. It would have a 16-18 screen movie theater, Tallahassee's first Kroger or Kash N Karry grocery store, a restaurant, video game room & library, similar to Leon County Public Library downtown but it would be smaller or larger, depending on leftover space.

If Campus Lodge was never built, I would build a nice strip mall out in that area. It would have a 16-18 screen movie theater, Tallahassee's first Kroger or Kash N Karry grocery store, a restaurant, video game room & library, similar to Leon County Public Library downtown but it would be smaller or larger, depending on leftover space.

Why would you want to build a movie theatre so close to Movies 8 and the AMC? Why not in NE Tallahassee of of Thomasville Road or somewhere off of Lake Bradford on the SW side of town?

And do you think Kroger or Kash N Karry are better than Publix? I've never shopped at a Kash N Karry, but Kroger to me is nothing different from Albertsons... and they're in a struggle in Florida as it is.

i heard talk of a water park, i dont think was the one by fairview. i thought that would be a good attraction for all that space. maybe doing some serious intertwining with the trees that are avery where out cap circle to the south. Waterparks are fun for everyone and people in tallahassee are hot in the summer. logical right? but i emphasis the nature preservation. no more tally bad publicity for polluting our nieghbors, even if done with good intentions (spray fields)

Why would you want to build a movie theatre so close to Movies 8 and the AMC? Why not in NE Tallahassee of of Thomasville Road or somewhere off of Lake Bradford on the SW side of town?

And do you think Kroger or Kash N Karry are better than Publix? I've never shopped at a Kash N Karry, but Kroger to me is nothing different from Albertsons... and they're in a struggle in Florida as it is.

I thought you were referring to the area over by West TN, I-10 towards Pensacola. A location on the SW side of town would be more viable, as residents over there could benefit just the same as the others. That area is rather dull, so by putting a movie theater/restaurant strip mall, residents would not have to drive into the city for those same conveinces.

i heard talk of a water park, i dont think was the one by fairview. i thought that would be a good attraction for all that space. maybe doing some serious intertwining with the trees that are avery where out cap circle to the south. Waterparks are fun for everyone and people in tallahassee are hot in the summer. logical right? but i emphasis the nature preservation. no more tally bad publicity for polluting our nieghbors, even if done with good intentions (spray fields)

When I first became interested in Tallahassee Development (back in Middle School) I became good friends with Commissioner Bailey . He was always that one commissioner at city hall, and one day I wanted to speak to a commissioner and he welcomed me into his office to allow me to ask questions. We talked about everything from the Downtown to the relocation of the Fairgrounds when he told me about plans that he and County Commissioner Procter had of converting the North Florida Fair Grounds into a shopping center, and/or a sort of Adventure Park. I ran the idea of a Water Park by him and he seemed open to the idea.

Of course the days of Commissioner John Paul Bailey have passed us, as he and John Marks (D) ran against each other for mayor, and well you know the rest. But I'd heard the same thing as you CSMurphy, although very long ago. It would be great if someone was actually serious about building us a waterpark in Tallahassee. I think I've written 3 letters to waterpark companies over the years, not a single response.

Tallahassee's first.. Kash N Karry grocery store, a restaurant, video game room & library, similar to Leon County Public Library downtown but it would be smaller or larger, depending on leftover space.

One problem with the Kash & Karry. We already have them, they're called Harveys around here. Also, the county is building a new Library on that side of town ( a little bit further north of the current branch) sometime in the next couple of years. As far as putting a theater, Publix, or other stufff on the Southside, I think that everyone is waiting to decide whether to move the Fairgrounds before they decide where to go, since that would be the focal point for big time retail on the South Side.

I have the same hope. I think new development has a way of doing that to areas. Same is the fear for Frenchtown.

The city has begun to do a great thing with the work on the Apalachee Ridge neighborhood, and the Providence Neighborhoods on the Southside. Installing sidewalks, resurfacing roads, and bringing in neighborhood community centers to bridge the digital divide. I think the Library is also a nice addition to the southside.

My hope is that FAMU is able to nurture its base that is strongly concentrated on the south side of town and spark some sort of economic development along Orange, Lake Bradford, S. Monroe and Adams.

• 4 weeks later...

I read today that the CC voted this project down. After reading the short summary, I am confused as to why they voted it down. Was it just this particular project they did not like and if so why? Or is it that they don't envision this area becoming student housing? Surely that can't be the case. Whenever the Gaines Street corridor was first brought up, I knew it would be some to mainly student housing. I mean it's just a natural area for that type of development for both FAMU and FSU. Plus it would be w/in walking distance to both campuses. If developed properly, student apartments/condos and retail can be done nicely. I've seen it in several other college towns. Of course code enforcement and the police will have to be out there from the "get-go" to deter crazy parking on the sidewalks, litter, garbage cans everywhere etc etc., but if they enforce this from the start, it should get the message across.

So what exactly does the CC and the planning dept want here?

I read today that the CC voted this project down. After reading the short summary, I am confused as to why they voted it down. Was it just this particular project they did not like and if so why? Or is it that they don't envision this area becoming student housing? Surely that can't be the case. Whenever the Gaines Street corridor was first brought up, I knew it would be some to mainly student housing. I mean it's just a natural area for that type of development for both FAMU and FSU. Plus it would be w/in walking distance to both campuses. If developed properly, student apartments/condos and retail can be done nicely. I've seen it in several other college towns. Of course code enforcement and the police will have to be out there from the "get-go" to deter crazy parking on the sidewalks, litter, garbage cans everywhere etc etc., but if they enforce this from the start, it should get the message across.

So what exactly does the CC and the planning dept want here?

I learned the Staff's reccomendation was based on a number of factors.

• The City Paid $3 Million for the property and the developer wanted to offer $1 Million.

• The city would like apartments aimed at a general population rather than student housing that excludes non-students from the area. The City hopes to have students living in the corridor, but not ONLY students. There is a feeling that a better propsal could come along soon when the properties are put back out for bidding.

I believe those were the major reasons.

[*]The City Paid $3 Million for the property and the developer wanted to offer $1 Million.

That one is reason enough!

Was this proposal design to be student type apartments meaning the popular design where there is a shared common space (living room/kitchen) but the bedrooms are each like a mini-apt. w/their own bath and maybe mini-frig? If so that design isn't very good for the gen. pop. for sure.

I'll admit I had to force myself to like it also. There's something about that style of apartment (those 4/4, 3/3 things) that I just don't like.

Hopefully the next proposal can be similar to what Benchmark is doing on All Saints, except with the Newly Established look for the Gaines Street Corridor.

Archived