1. 1. Jacksonville's Rival City?

• Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Nashville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh/Durham
    • Charleston
    • other

Yea, Richmond is probably last on the list of "rivals" as I can't think of anything that Jax and Richmond have in common outside of their position on the eastern side of the Mississippi.

I now do have to change my vote to Tampa and/or Orlando just after having spent some time down there and not many people down there even knew anything about Charlotte but did talk about Tampa and Orlando quite a bit. I'm going down there again June 1st for a little longer than last time, but I imagine this will stay the same. I think Charlotte's true rival is Raleigh; I mean, they are competing for the same state funds and aren't all that far apart in location or size (metro, not city limits.) Jacksonville has a lot less in common with Charlotte than I had previously thought. I guess I was still looking at Jax through the close-minded eyes of a nine year old (how old I was when I moved away from there.)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Based on the amount of underhanded deals and JTA's BRT plan, I had to answer: "Other"

As far as I can determine, our biggest rival is US! Neanderthal thinking at City Hall AND JTA!! Both placees seem to want us to stay Cowford. BRT is just a new way to BUILD ROADS TODAY or put another way, it's just BAD RAPID TRANSIT!

traintrain

Bravo! Mr. derrickskugler you've gone from false to misleading a step up for you, but if you want to compare a CSA to a MSA then yes your right as far population but hardly fair, as far as tall buildings go Charlotte folks have aready explained that to you, basicaly the number of tall buildings don't make the city Washington D.C. prove's this, and if you go their then JAX would be considered a 3rd tier also because that skyline is nothing to sing about and another thing sense you have managed to pull this forum off topic I have great respect for Charlotte, because yes they have set the bar for North Carolina and a high standard one at that, but it's also one that the Triangle will take even Higher and also let me state my position clearly about this as a city Charlotte has no equal in North or South Carolina, but when you Factor in the Metro area as ahole then things are different, Triangle easily compare's when all things considered like college's,Medical school's ,law school's ,Highest workforce with degree's,highest per capita income, always in the top 5 for best place to live or for business and even for singles looking to get married, STATE CAPITAL,RTP first major league ChampionShip for both Carolina's, man the list goes on and final comment's on this thing and scope. Charlotte will always be the biggest city the Carolina's but the Triangle will one day be the biggest Metro Area in the future to come in North Carolina and for Jacksonville we have already blown pass you guys, where growing at a much faster rate and we have too many assets too play second fiddle to any metro in the South and another thing, Charlotte has blown you guys away also, and you are not their Rival,because your metro Area is to small now , your being outpaced by every other metro in the south, like I said .I can't wait for the new Census report ,so some people can just shut up :yahoo:

Yeah, thanks for bringing that back up. I appreciate seeing that guy flame me again. :-) Oh well, what should I have expected? I brought reality into his world and he didn't like it much.

Anywho, remember that Jacksonville often gets placed on those lists as well. Raleigh isn't a bad place to live, but we are on the Jacksonville board here. Let's show the hometown some love!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, thanks for bringing that back up. I appreciate seeing that guy flame me again. :-) Oh well, what should I have expected? I brought reality into his world and he didn't like it much.

Anywho, remember that Jacksonville often gets placed on those lists as well. Raleigh isn't a bad place to live, but we are on the Jacksonville board here. Let's show the hometown some love!

• 8 months later...

I don't think that what people think about Charlotte is relevant to this thread. How does that relate to Jacksonville? Are people saying "wow I wish my city were more like Jacksonville?"

Based on the amount of underhanded deals and JTA's BRT plan, I had to answer: "Other"

As far as I can determine, our biggest rival is US! Neanderthal thinking at City Hall AND JTA!! Both placees seem to want us to stay Cowford. BRT is just a new way to BUILD ROADS TODAY or put another way, it's just BAD RAPID TRANSIT!

BRT has its benefits. In Jax, the existing rail lines should be used to service the areas it passes through. BRT then makes sence in the corridors that aren't currently served by rail such as a line from DT to the beaches via the Arlington Expsy and Atlantic Blvd.

• 3 months later...

I agree with those who say that Jacksonville does not have a real rival. Orlando is the closest big metro area, but Orlando's economy is completely different. Jacksonville is simply too isolated. Jacksonville is the center of it's own little universe, sort of like Oklahama City or Denver. Well, perhaps it's not as isolated as Denver.

Tampa

Both are industrial.

Both are on the water, but neither are on the ocean/gulf.

Both have tons of sprawl.

Both have the military (Jax Navy, Tampa Army).

Jax has I-95 for Northeasterners going to Miami, Tampa has I-75 for Midwesterners going to Miami.

Jaguars v. Bucs

etc.

Orlando doesn't have much in common with Jax other than proximity. Miami has even less in common with Jax.

Tampa

Both are industrial.

Both are on the water, but neither are on the ocean/gulf.

Both have tons of sprawl.

Both have the military (Jax Navy, Tampa Army).

Jax has I-95 for Northeasterners going to Miami, Tampa has I-75 for Midwesterners going to Miami.

Jaguars v. Bucs

etc.

Orlando doesn't have much in common with Jax other than proximity. Miami has even less in common with Jax.

Don't judge growth on population alone. The Jacksonville is essentially Duval County, so its hard to make a population comparison on anything except the metro area.

metrowester, you have a great point about Charlotte vs Jacksonville. After having lived in Charlotte for a while now, and having spend a lot of my youth in Jacksonville, Jax has a much older urban core, and so it retains that "city" feeling much more than Charlotte does. Districts evolve over time. Charlotte is just starting to see distinct districts form, and I expect that the locals will tell you of the same thing in Jax. I would be interested to hear what districts the locals see evolving today.

Archived