Florida Politics - Which Metro Benefits the Most?

jaxlvr_24

Florida Politics - Which Metro Benefits the Most?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Florida Politics - Which Metro Benefits the Most?

• Jacksonville
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Miami
    • they area all treated equal

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Miami Metro, without a doubt benifits most, although there has been a recent shift back toward the Orlando area.

Some will argue, the population of South Florida is the reason state dollars are sent in such high volume, I still believe our state should do more to balance the needs throughout the rest of the state, including the metro areas listed above, and those cities often not even considered. Then as usual, whatever scraps are left over, can go to patch up a pot-hole in the neglected capital city.

I voted for Jax. They are the only metro in FL WITHOUT a toll road and are poised to receive yet another freeway.

That's correct though not the complete truth. In the late 80s, Jacksonville voters approved a half-cent sales tax increase so the tolls could be demolished. Orlando proposed a similar measure recently, but it was rejected.

That's correct though not the complete truth. In the late 80s, Jacksonville voters approved a half-cent sales tax increase so the tolls could be demolished. Orlando proposed a similar measure recently, but it was rejected.

Orlando tax increase was to built freeway and the resients are still going to be tolled on the new freeway, so it was rejected.

I think Miami is getting an unfair amount of votes. Yeah, they're the largest metro, but I still don't think they're getting a fair share...

I would probably disagree with that. Just from looking at different cities throughout the state, Miami seems to get the most consideration in getting state money. The only exception to this would be the state canceling any funds to built a new Marlins stadium.

I think Miami is getting an unfair amount of votes. Yeah, they're the largest metro, but I still don't think they're getting a fair share. Anyone know how to post statistics of how much each of these metro's actually receive yearly? That would help clarify this poll.

Miami is getting waaay too many votes. I would have voted Miami as recieving the LEAST from the state government. Miami funds the rest of the state and gets little in return as compared to the northern half of the state. The state even justifies this by coming up with a pay scale that lets it spend less money on state employees in Miami because it claims the areas nice beaches and amenities make people willing to live there while getting less. You could even argue the state government is openly hostile towards South Florida.

^I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the statement above, but I know people that live and work for the State in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade and they get paid MORE for doing the same type job than others in State Gov doing the exact same job. They pay them more b/c the cost of living is higher down there. Can you explain a little more in detail exactly what you are referencing above please.

Archived